ACSI hiccups. (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
During our bimble round France the last few weeks we have stayed at quite a few ACSI sites and been very pleased with them all. We have however had a few problems correlating the ACSI guide book with their app and wondered if we were doing something wrong.

Several times we found sites on the app in the area we were looking at but couldn't find the same sites in the book. The site numbers didn't match either so we decided that either our book or the app was out of date (both new) so felt we couldn't go to a specific site unless it was in both mediums. This meant that a few sites missed out on our business as we looked elsewhere.

However, by accident we ended up at one lovely site that's nearly empty, but only shows on the app. It's not in the book, nor is there any mention of ACSI on their notice board. I asked the owner to clarify the situation and she explained that she couldn't afford the 700 euro charge that ACSI make for inclusion in the book and neither could many other site owners, so they make do with only being on the app. It's a bit short sighted of them I know but it's really confusing for the customers. Why do ACSI appear to have two levels of scheme membership?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Is the App for the discount scheme or the ACSI approved site list?
All of the sites we looked at on the app appeared to charge the scheme prices? The site we are on at the moment (on the app, not in the book) certainly gave us an ACSI discount.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Yes thanks for the heads up.
We've never bothered with the App. What was the site name or coordinates so we could have a look at it on the App?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Yes thanks for the heads up.
We've never bothered with the App. What was the site name or coordinates so we could have a look at it on the App?
We are at Camping de Coulvee, which is just outside Chemille-en-Anjou. The coordinates on the app took me to the middle of a field half a mile away!

Le'geom

Free Member
Apr 13, 2018
Leigh-on-Sea
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Thanks for the advice. Got the books but never had the app. will do now.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I don’t know if this is relevant but I have 2 separate apps downloaded - as well as the Camping Card app, which lists the discount sites, I also have ACSI Campings - although it no longer works as it appears to be incompatible with iOS 11 on my iPad. ( Don’t know if there’s an Android version that still works?)

I’ve not seen any difference between app and books in terms of the sites included or the numbering , but that may just be luck. It can be helpful to refer to the app for user reviews, although we normally use the books to find sites initially.

There is an annual charge for the full version of the app, which can also take ages to download data even on home broadband

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
I only ever used the app not the book. If there’s a difference I might look in book for Portugal then cuz the acsi sites in Portugal do not have very good write ups at all
Thanks for info

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
ACSI change the site reference numbers every year. So if the app numbers are different to the book one or both are out of date. :)

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
When you get the app it will tell you if it needs updates, I update it regularly, I look and dream every day

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I actually prefer the book - too much faffing around with the map to get it to scale on the app for me. And I can only get it to display landscape on the iPad, so I certainly don’t find it easier to use.
Each to their own, I guess.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Does anybody else think this :
When you read reviews it always says how wonderful of not so about the toilet n shower blocks ! We’ve all mainly got motorhomes with full services on board so I’m more interested in the villages near by and can we walk to them but this seems to take a back seat in reviews?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting thread. I have the 2018 books, and the app; but I also use the website too - particularly for advance planning - campingcard.co.uk

I wasn't specifically aware of any difference between the various resources, or indeed that sites could opt to be included on the app, but not in the guidebook and thus save money?

I would expect the app and the website to be much more up-to-date than the books, because the content can easily be modified at any time, whereas the books must go to press around September/ October the previous year at the latest.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When you read reviews it always says how wonderful of not so about the toilet n shower blocks ! We’ve all mainly got motorhomes with full services on board so I’m more interested in the villages near by and can we walk to them but this seems to take a back seat in reviews?
I suppose the writers of reviews put in what's important to them. I never use the showers etc but SWMBO does.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

We've got very good internal facilities BUT to heat water for a shower involves using our gas, which otherwise will operate the fridge and the cooking facilities. I'm sure most other folk are in the same situation (y).

WHY would I use my resources, possibly shortening the time I can "survive", when I'm paying for the facilities provided by the campsite? If someone says the facilities are poor, I'll probably go elsewhere (unless it's one of those months when I don't want a shower :LOL: )

Gordon

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Can you tell me which of the apps you downloaded please? The ones i’ve found have very low review scores.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Top left
3CD483D1-08CE-4AA3-8050-C50764D12215.png
one.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for the info... that's the one I looked at. Sadly, it has very poor reviews. Is there another one?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We've got very good internal facilities BUT to heat water for a shower involves using our gas, which otherwise will operate the fridge and the cooking facilities. I'm sure most other folk are in the same situation (y).

WHY would I use my resources, possibly shortening the time I can "survive", when I'm paying for the facilities provided by the campsite? If someone says the facilities are poor, I'll probably go elsewhere (unless it's one of those months when I don't want a shower :LOL: )

Gordon
We quite understand your attitude but we have a different take on the matter.

When on a campsite we run the fridge and water heater on EHU and save our gas for Aires and wild Camping. Even on low amperage supplies you can run the water heater on low setting. If it needs a “quick boost” on gas so be it.

My wife has mobility problems so, in the morning, the ability to use on board toilet and shower is more valuable to us than a few kilos of gas over the duration of the holiday.

That’s the beauty of modern motorhomes, all the comforts of home. Whether we choose to use them, or not, is up to us.

Long live the open road and a m/h to travel it!(y)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Thanks for the info... that's the one I looked at. Sadly, it has very poor reviews. Is there another one?

Yes the reviews are bad, and I’m suprised. We find it works well, it’s a bit outdated these days, but most others require data, this does not.

The apps I have are top left and bottom left in the image. It’s the top left one that won’t open in ios 11.

I’m running the latest software from Apple and the app works on both iPad, and iPhone. I can only suggest deleting the app and reinstalling it, you will still be able to reload your paid for maps.

Andy

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
To be honest, with the ACSI CampingCard app, Campercontact and Camperstop (along with various books!) I’m not sure I’ve not got too much information already! Particularly given the cost of some of the paid for downloads...

But I may delete & reinstall when we get home and on fast unlimited Wi-fi.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I purchased Camperstop book,very impressed ,use camper contact & search 4 sites but handy for back up.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Can you tell me which of the apps you downloaded please? The ones i’ve found have very low review scores.

If you have an ACSI card the bottom left is the most useful as I think it is just the sites that accept the card and you can favourite those you are interested in

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I agree there is now a lot of info out there. There was a time when data on phones was very costly, or non existent, and this is where the ACSI app was good, or as others have said books.
For me, I don’t like books, they go out of date, they are heavy, they take up room, and all have different ways that they are used so takes time to get used to especially if swapping between books.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back