ACSI - had it's day? (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
After renewing my subs and receiving the 2021 campsites books I settled down to transfer my own notes last night (well, have to do something during lockdown!).
I started with Southern Europe book (2) and was little surprised to see they were over 400 fewer French campsites listed compared with 2020. Alerted I compared the rest; Other countries didn't fare so badly but overall there's 550 fewer sites listed this year.
Ok, so overall there's still near on 2900 listings, still plenty but that's a big percentage decline.
I'm not complaining yet, even with lockdown restrictions I was able to more than cover my subs with campsite discounts in 2020. However in recent years I have found some of the supposed savings are in reality an offer the site makes to any camper, plus the quality of the sites varies enormously and begs the question whether the ACSI system is starting to lose it's luster?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
After renewing my subs and receiving the 2021 campsites books I settled down to transfer my own notes last night (well, have to do something during lockdown!).
I started with Southern Europe book (2) and was little surprised to see they were over 400 fewer French campsites listed compared with 2020. Alerted I compared the rest; Other countries didn't fare so badly but overall there's 550 fewer sites listed this year.
Ok, so overall there's still near on 2900 listings, still plenty but that's a big percentage decline.
I'm not complaining yet, even with lockdown restrictions I was able to more than cover my subs with campsite discounts in 2020. However in recent years I have found some of the supposed savings are in reality an offer the site makes to any camper, plus the quality of the sites varies enormously and begs the question whether the ACSI system is starting to lose it's luster?
I think so. The price of sites going up by 1€ every year will soon kill it too. We're members but I think will cancel the renewal later in the year.

Don't leave it until December to cancel if you have DD or card payments set up, last year people were complaining ACSI said it was too late to cancel and took the payment anyway.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
When we first started motorhoming in early 2017, I tended to use campsites simply because that's what I was used to after touring Europe with a motorbike and tent, ACSI seemed like a good Idea for moho touring.

As time went on we 'discovered' aires and suchlike to the extent that during our last European tour of nine weeks in 2019, we used only four sites, and that was because they were where we wanted to be (Annecy, Innsbruk, for instance).

I probably won't bother with ACSI, (whenever we can get out) as there are so many great aire type places to be found.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've bought it on & off only once or twice has it ever paid for its self & then only just covered the cost.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I buy it every year but cannot see the point in buying 2021 as we may not be able to cross channel anyway .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cancelled it this year.. first time since about 2006
Prices gong up I can understand, but when the ACSI price is higher than we are offered at sites enough is enough

OP
OP
Bucket
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Another reason for my scepticism is the discovery that entries are written by the sites themselves rather than ACSI's own inspectors.
It's a shame really because the concept is basically sound.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When we first started motorhoming in early 2017, I tended to use campsites simply because that's what I was used to after touring Europe with a motorbike and tent, ACSI seemed like a good Idea for moho touring.

As time went on we 'discovered' aires and suchlike to the extent that during our last European tour of nine weeks in 2019, we used only four sites, and that was because they were where we wanted to be (Annecy, Innsbruk, for instance).

I probably won't bother with ACSI, (whenever we can get out) as there are so many great aire type places to be found.
An identical situation to me. I also bought the book after many years of m/biking camping tours when I never failed to get a pitch as even if they looked to be 'full' sites could always find room for a m/bike and pup tent. After I bought the m/h I have pulled into sites on spec and without prior reference to the ACSI book, just as as I did with the m/bike before joining ACSI and just asked at Reception upon arrival if they 'did' ACSI discounts.
I won't be renewing as when I can go 'over there' again I won't be using the book and the last thing on my mind will be saving a few quid on pitch fees.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have used acsi many times in the past but in the current situation I cannot see us going over the channel anytime soon.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
In the early days Camping Cheque were the ideal way to tour. As time went on they to fell out of favour with high prices and lack of sites accepting them. Its far to easy now to find and book through mobile devices and offers from the sites are generally better than our ACSI card.o

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It’s way past it’s best. Haven’t bothered with it for the last 2 years, and don’t miss it.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
It boils down to where you want to stop/are forced to stop¬! Three days in Delft discount pays for the membership over the non membership fees saving you £40 per year plus all the sites in Spain and France at least you get an honest feedback unlike the C and CC club!

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
A week at Cofton in Dawlish paid for mine. I would have gone there anyway

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Don't leave it until December to cancel if you have DD or card payments set up, last year people were complaining ACSI said it was too late to cancel and took the payment anyway.
Cancel the Direct Debit at your bank or if they take the payment after you have requested cancellation call the bank and get the payment refunded immediately.
Capture 1.PNG
Capture 1.PNG
Capture 2.PNG

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah our experience as well, we had it 2010 and 11 when we were useing sites, and for what it cost the book was almost worth the cost, for finding sites, but with a bit more experience into Aires and stuff as well as the thing that put the final nail into it was drawing up at a site in st Maxime and there was a sign outside the gate with lower prices than was in the book.
Not had it since but still have the books for finding occasional sites if we need to do some washing or something.
For anyone who hasn't been yet , I would say yes, get it but once is enough.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
ACSI's not expensive, (around £14) so not worth cancelling. I told the Britstop man several years ago that his WAS too expensive (£31.60) and why didn't he reduce the very high production quality. Cheaper paper etc could lower the cost to members, but he wasn't interested. I have never bought it as a result, but my nephew's pub is in it. However, he will take anyone, not limited to Britstoppers.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
ACSI's not expensive, (around £14) so not worth cancelling. I told the Britstop man several years ago that his WAS too expensive (£31.60) and why didn't he reduce the very high production quality. Cheaper paper etc could lower the cost to members, but he wasn't interested. I have never bought it as a result, but my nephew's pub is in it. However, he will take anyone, not limited to Britstoppers.
Yeah, britstops was modelled on France passion, but without anywhere near the variety or number of places to stop, and most of the pubs you can stay at anyway without being a member.
But saying that anyone new to France would benefit from France passion, just to stay at real french places.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Has anyone tried to buy an ACSI Card lately? I've been going around in circles on their site, it won't recognise Visa or Mastercard so I can't pay. I am signed in to my account.

OP
OP
Bucket
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Has anyone tried to buy an ACSI Card lately? I've been going around in circles on their site, it won't recognise Visa or Mastercard so I can't pay. I am signed in to my account.
That is strange.
We renew using a CC that doesn't charge for Euro's, in this case Halifax Clarity which is mastercard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back