Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Hi all knowledgeable ones ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: Double Barrel Question: we recently purchased the ACSI cd with thousands of European campsites installed on it but to be honest we would prefer a book now (not good installed on a laptop that keeps freezing - which we were planning on taking with us in a few weeks) I cant find this available in a book - or is it ? Secondly whats this ASCI ID Card i keep hearing about ? do i need one to access campsites ? can i still get on them without one ? does each person need one ? I know its more than a couple of questions but would be grateful of any help :thumb:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It's more usual to buy the book first and then perhaps get the DVD. The discount card is in one of the two books and you need it to use any site which takes the ACSI card. Bear in mind that very few sites take the card during the most of July and August but there are a few exceptions.
The DVD is handy for pre-planning and looking at a route between sites.

Mike

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
ACSI card is a discount out of high season card, it is for 2 adults a motorhome and hookup.
The sites charge either 12,14,16 or 18 euro for a night, the card is in the cover of the guide book when you buy it. It will not be any use for the high season mid July until the third or last week iin August, to see the sites use the web site from this link.:thumb:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There are 2 types of ACSI card; the first comes with the excellent sites book(s) and is required for you to be able to obtain the ACSI rates at participating campsites - note mostly only outside "peak" periods i.e. high summer.

The second is a Carnet type ID card for which you pay extra - about €4 if I remember correctly - and is the same as other Camping Carnet cards other organisations issue. Most places will take this as an ID card rather than your passports and it also provides 3rd party insurance whilst on campsites. It does NOT give you access rights to anywhere or ACSI discounts.

You can get either, or both, direct from ACSI - just Google it for website. Alternatively you can get the Books and discount card from Vicarious Books.

We use it all the time and it usually saves us the cost in the first nights use! Not very many sites in UK however.

Terry

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
you will be asked for your card to obtain discount. Well worth it for low season, available from vicarious books online:thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
There are 2 types of ACSI card; the first comes with the excellent sites book(s) and is required for you to be able to obtain the ACSI rates at participating campsites - note mostly only outside "peak" periods i.e. high summer.

The second is a Carnet type ID card for which you pay extra - about €4 if I remember correctly - and is the same as other Camping Carnet cards other organisations issue. Most places will take this as an ID card rather than your passports and it also provides 3rd party insurance whilst on campsites. It does NOT give you access rights to anywhere or ACSI discounts.

You can get either, or both, direct from ACSI - just Google it for website. Alternatively you can get the Books and discount card from Vicarious Books.

We use it all the time and it usually saves us the cost in the first nights use! Not very many sites in UK however.

Terry

This is all helpful and accurate advice.

However, there is one more important point to be aware of.

ACSI provides a quality-inspection service for campsites, which if approved can display the ACSI logo and - I believe - also feature on the CD you've purchased. And there are 8,500 sites on the video.

BUT, this is not the same as the DISCOUNT scheme. Of the 8,500 inspected sites, only 2,739 of them have agreed to participate in the 2014 discount scheme.

And to access the discounts, as already mentioned, you need to purchase the two 'Camping Card ACSI' guides (Part 1 & Part 2).

And again as previously mentioned, the 'ID Card', is different from the discount scheme. We got an ACSI ID card free in 2012, when they were first introduced - but haven't bought another since then. We are just back from a five-week tour around Spain and Portugal and everywhere we went they were quite happy to accept the 2012 card as ID. I realise there would no longer be any third party insurance cover, but nonetheless it proved very handy. :thumb:

Mike

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
http://webshop.acsi.eu/en/campingcard-acsi.html

Available either as a one-off purchase or as an annual subscription for 25% discount
Thanks for the link but if you click on it and try to order any of the books etc they are not available in English as they have sold out - only available in Danish and Netherlands - the 2015 edition which is available in English will not be released until the end of December 2015:cry::cry:
Has anyone got one of these books to sell ?

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
We will no longer need our 2014 books after the end of June - provided you have your own ACSI card (which as other posters have said comes inside the cover of one of the two books) you are welcome to our books for the cost of the postage - rather depends when you are travelling really.

Steve

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
we are off on the 26th June - postage is not a problem + i dont mind paying you for the book either - we dont have a ASCI Card an to be honest i am not really that bothered about one or bothered at the moment about saving a few pounds when we have just spent a small fortune on a van an kitting it out - or do i need one ? as long as i have a book with the sites in and addresses thats all i am concerned about :thumb:
if your is available for sale pm me with the details:thumb:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
We will clash on dates I'm afraid. If you happen to stay at a Dutch owned site (and there a quite a few even in France) they may well have the book on the counter for sale at reception - I did see them in English as well at one site.

However your travel date means you are unlikely to gain from the discounted rates. A glance through the book show many offer dates ending 30th June - although there are a few up until 7th July.

That said even a couple of nights at a discounted rate can save the cost of the book.

Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we are off on the 26th June - postage is not a problem + i dont mind paying you for the book either - we dont have a ASCI Card an to be honest i am not really that bothered about one or bothered at the moment about saving a few pounds when we have just spent a small fortune on a van an kitting it out - or do i need one ? as long as i have a book with the sites in and addresses thats all i am concerned about :thumb:
if your is available for sale pm me with the details:thumb:

I would get the all the aires book, no need for cards or owt else , you don't need discount off, free sites everywhere in france:thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Looks as though the Camping and Caravanning Club still have the 2014 book - and I don't believe you need to be a member to buy it:

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/campingcardacsi/

The next link you need to scroll down to make your purchase:

https://booking.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/Booking/Further_Options?Mode=Carefree

It's £16 inc postage for the two books and the discount card.

It's a bit odd how their ordering system works - I think they treat it as a 'booking' ??:whatthe: I bought the guide off them a previous year - all was fine.

Mike

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
seems like the book is SOLD OUT ! :cry::cry::cry:

Tis true, we could not buy a copy anywhere which seems a bizarre strategy, but never the less we ordered a copy in Dutch , not that we speak the lingo but with last years books and a valid card we should be set fair to enjoy discounts on our travels to Greece this September.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
I would get the all the aires book, no need for cards or owt else , you don't need discount off, free sites everywhere in france:thumb:
Couldn't agree more. We did five weeks in France last year paying the grand total of 15 euros (3 particularly nice aires which charged 5 euros (inc electric hook-up) each). Everywhere else was free so why waste money on ASCI books and campsites? Even in Germany, where very few aires (Stellplatzen) are free, the most we paid was 8 euros for an absolutely lovely pitch right by the Moselle. Surely the point of having a motorhome is that you have all you need on board so why would you pay to go on a campsite?!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Couldn't agree more. We did five weeks in France last year paying the grand total of 15 euros (3 particularly nice aires which charged 5 euros (inc electric hook-up) each). Everywhere else was free so why waste money on ASCI books and campsites? Even in Germany, where very few aires (Stellplatzen) are free, the most we paid was 8 euros for an absolutely lovely pitch right by the Moselle. Surely the point of having a motorhome is that you have all you need on board so why would you pay to go on a campsite?!
Since my last posts on here I have backtracked a little, we are going for a month in September and thought of aires all the way but then we decided to have a break halfway in a camp on the med for a day or two , so looked one up and they wanted 32 euros a night but it said if you are acsi it was half price , so got to looking for this card and found it was 13.50 euros so for three days at the camp it was saving us £50 so we have got one just for the three days and saved thirty quid so got to be a result if we use it again or not

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
During our 75 day trip to France ,Italy , Austria and Germany we stayed in 20 ACSI CC sites and the rest of the time in aires and stellplatz mostly because they were where we wanted to be . On average we stayed 2 nights in every location unless it was really amazing . We would never make not having to pay our main goal since for us the destination and safe comfortable pitch to explore it from is more important . If the Aire or Stellplatz happens to be free and in a location where we want to be then it is an unexpected bonus. Having the ACSI CC was definitely well worth it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back