Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
we are going to France for the 1st time this year for 3 weeks. Is it wise to purchase the discount card if we have just the one trip. We will be using aires as well as sites but not booking anywhere
Very much looking foreword to just winging it and not live to a timetable

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
You do not say when you are going. If it is July or August then the ACSI card is not usable as it is a low season card.
A typical saving in the low season would be 2 - 3 euro a night for a pitch with elec for 2 adults.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
May be better to download campercontact app from playstore plenty of free or cheap stop overs .found some great places last year France and Spain .
Found them much cheaper than ACSI .

Fat Rat

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664
Exp
We travelled from St Malo to St Jean de Luz (Spanish Border) during October so were restricted to where we could stop over as most campsites were closed so an ACSI card didn't help. The bigger sites that were open were great especially Nantes Center. We have the Aires books which are very helpful (although motorways are well signposted) which you can get to cover North and South of France. Make sure you get your CCI card so that you do not have to hand over your Passport anywhere and we used the motorway quite a bit as it was quieter but it comes at a cost (about 130 euros return). We are going back in June and then Spain in September. Have fun :)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We bought an ACSI book in 2015 and although we went to France 3 times off season we didn't use it once so a waste of money (for us). We tend to use aires more often than not so wouldn't buy again. Most sites are closed from September to Easter anyway.

Denise

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
We use Aires and campsites all over Europe and we always get back double the cost of the acsi wouldn't travel without it, many sites open all year. We never travel in peak season as too crowded.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have toured France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands and a bit of Germany over the past 9 years and never found the need for an Acsi card. Our normal trip duration is 4-6 weeks; if we were closer to full-timing, I could see the benefit of the card so one can stop at sites for major service needs such as laundry etc. If using aires (camper-stops) to any significant degree (as we do) then I would say don't bother with Acsi. As mentioned above, timing is critical: the Acsi discount is most useful in Spring and Autumn as it does not apply in high season and most camp sites are closed in Winter. In France, if you are travelling in summer, I would use municipal sites if a full camp site is required.
As well as the excellent Camper Contact website and App (which is a Dutch organisation) I would recommend the French Camping Car Infos. Both sites contain extensive camper-stop and camp site information for Europe. We have relied on CC-Infos for all of our trips although I have now downloaded the CamperContact App as well, since we were given an iPad for Christmas.
CAMPINGCAR-INFOS

OP
OP
Antony bleasdale

Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I have caper contact on iPad and didn't realise that the card wasn't valid for July so I shall giv it a miss. Thanks for the info. We don't however have a cci card?? Will look into that
Cheers

Fat Rat

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664
Exp
CCI Card is the Camping Card International which has the details of one Passport. Broken Link Removed

You can get some discounts but you will be asked in Europe for a passport or CCI card as ID/deposit. We got ours through the Camping and Caravanning Club and it was Free with the travel insurance we took out. Otherwise it costs £5 from them.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We get one every year as tend to travel out of school hols. As an example, we stayed at a sea-front site, in the trees at the edge of the beach and paid 15 euros, our british neighbours, with no acsi card paid 30 euros. Over 3 nights the card had paid for itself. It works really well for us and saves a fortune, however, works at its best with the app for your phone as much easier to plan and find a site when you're tired and depending upon what you want. We do a combi subscription so get the cards and the app every year. Wldn't go to France without it and intend to use in Spain, Portugal and Italy at some point.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Antony, It all depends on how long you are going for, we go over for 3 weeks at a time and only use a max of 4/5 nights in sites so we don't bother with ACSI or french passion as all of the rest of the time we use aires, as we usually travel late may or june & sept.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Aires can be ok. However, it depends what kind of holiday you're going for. We tend to want to sit outside, have a few glasses of wine, use a pool in the day, for that, the card is really really good. We stayed at a few municipal sites and one cost us 33 euros, was a bit of a shock after paying between 12 and 18 for a night :eek:

Camping Parc Verger

Free Member
Jul 3, 2015
New Owners Of Parc Verger From 1st July 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
over 25 years
Hi Antony
if your coming our way feel free to drop in to Camping Parc Verger we are halfway down just south of Limoges. We moved from Bolton le Sands last July and took over the site. You will be very welcome.

Franc and Lisa
http://www.parcverger.com
http://www.facebook.com/parcverger

OP
OP
Antony bleasdale

Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
If we come that far I defo will, you realy are living the dream. Have pondered about doing it myself. Where about in Bls where you. I was on hawthorn but just moved to bare to get rid of mortgage and buy my camper.

OP
OP
Antony bleasdale

Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
If you lived on the a6 and had a TV on your parking area I know where you where. Hope it works out for you over there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back