Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We're off to Europe later this year for about 7/10 days. This is an unexpected trip due to purchasing tickets to see Andre Rieu in Maastricht and will probably be our only Europe trip this year. So is it worth purchasing the ACSI card? We bought it a couple of years ago and then plans changed due to work so never got our monies worth. We're planning a couple of nights in Maastricht then touring through Netherlands, finishing with Ypres and battlefields before crossing back to uk to visit friends for a couple of days before heading home.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I reckon it would be worth it, provided you'll be travelling outside peak season.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
I wouldn't bother purchasing an ACSI card at all. Buy the Camperstop Europe book instead and you will find everything you need on the aires, many of which are free. Then you really will save loads of money. Have a good trip.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Yes outside peak. Am I right thinking you can use it in uk too?
Yes, there are places in the UK you can stop at.

All the sites and prices are on the website: http://www.campingcard.co.uk/

There are 47 places in the UK: http://www.campingcard.co.uk/united-kingdom/

The website is good for research, but you have to buy the book to get the ACSI discount card, as you probably know.

Reference the 'Camperstop' guide, it's handy, but doesn't help a great deal if you are looking for good value campsites - oh and I think it costs about £25 quid plus postage.

A cheaper, and in my opinion, better option than the Camperstop guidebook for finding stopovers (and campsites too) is the Campercontact app for your android or iphone - costs €5.99 euro (about £5 sterling).

http://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

But if you like good quality campsites I'd still use the ACSI discount card.

Cheers, Mike

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We're off to Europe later this year for about 7/10 days. This is an unexpected trip due to purchasing tickets to see Andre Rieu in Maastricht and will probably be our only Europe trip this year. So is it worth purchasing the ACSI card? We bought it a couple of years ago and then plans changed due to work so never got our monies worth. We're planning a couple of nights in Maastricht then touring through Netherlands, finishing with Ypres and battlefields before crossing back to uk to visit friends for a couple of days before heading home.
We went to see Andre Rieu a couple of times in Maastrict. First time we went we were recommended to park overnight at the Stadium which was brilliant. During the daytime we parked near the river and I noticed that a 24 hour ticket could be purchased to park. However on asking at the VVV, they said no I couldn't so I said I'll stay again at the Stadium. She said we couldn't stay there anymore. We got a campsite near Valkenberg. It was €33 a night and as we were there a day early (wanted to see Maastricht and Valkenberg) it cost €66. I think at that time ACSI would have cost €34 BUT it wasn't off peak when we were there.
However, I have ordered the 2017 ACSI book as we go away in May and there for 6/8 weeks and touring France, Germany, Luxembourg and possibly Italy (Lake Como and Garda) and IMO I think it'll definitely save us loads.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I bought mine direct from them & didn't buy the books ? I just bought the card @ 4,95€
Ah, didn't know you could just buy the card. Mind you, €13.95 for book and app is still excellent value I reckon. One night at a site and I'll be in pocket.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Being Curious, as the value for Money I have just done some calculations based on Actual (Published) Site Fees Current for 2 Camp-sites in Spain at opposite ends of the price scale for March 2017. It would appear that factoring in the purchase costs of the ASCI Card and Guide.

The Average Nightly saving would be between £3-90 and £5-09 per Night?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Being Curious, as the value for Money I have just done some calculations based on Actual (Published) Site Fees Current for 2 Camp-sites in Spain at opposite ends of the price scale for March 2017. It would appear that factoring in the purchase costs of the ASCI Card and Guide.

The Average Nightly saving would be between £3-90 and £5-09 per Night?
Well even at those savings, 3/4 nights and it's paid for itself then you can keep getting £4/5 savings every night.
It's just another option for us especially outside France as we tend to use Aires in France but occasionally like a site.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
For me, not worth it and it annoys me the fact it runs from January to January. So you get your book delivered in November/ December when a lot of peaple are away. Why can they not run your subscription from when you join for twelve months, as in join in May get your book before you go away for the winter. All the campsites we have stayed on also the difference has not been that great. Just my thoughts, I know others swear by it.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I bought mine direct from them & didn't buy the books ? I just bought the card @ 4,95€

I thought the Acsi discount card was attached to the inside front cover of the book. There is then a code on the card which enables you to purchase the Acsi app for around 5 euro.

That's how it seems to works for me !!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
For me, not worth it and it annoys me the fact it runs from January to January. So you get your book delivered in November/ December when a lot of peaple are away. Why can they not run your subscription from when you join for twelve months, as in join in May get your book before you go away for the winter. All the campsites we have stayed on also the difference has not been that great. Just my thoughts, I know others swear by it.
Actually, no matter how the 12 months is split there will always be pros and cons. Say I started mine on 1st June and that was my regular holiday time because of work commitments etc then I'd still have to get another one the following year to cover.
Are there any site type books etc that cover 12 months from inception?

Deleted User
Having variable validity dates would be very difficult with the card system contained in a book and expensive to administer. The present system is simple, one print run and it's done but The cangeover in January is a problem for many, myself included.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Having variable validity dates would be very difficult with the card system contained in a book and expensive to administer. The present system is simple, one print run and it's done but The cangeover in January is a problem for many, myself included.
Yes I totally understand that but a changeover at any other time could cause problems for a lot more. No matter when the changeover, it'll cause problems for someone, somewhere.
I agree, a rolling 12 months would be very difficult.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Caravan CLUB membership runs From inception date, BUT the Site Guide comes out the same time every 2 years, same with the CCC. It`s the publishing / print run that costs, making the rolling update uneconomic. Might work with a computerised App though?. That could be downloaded any-time you had a signal?. With a "swipe" type App, to back it up when booking or paying?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Caravan CLUB membership runs From inception date, BUT the Site Guide comes out the same time every 2 years, same with the CCC. It`s the publishing / print run that costs, making the rolling update uneconomic. Might work with a computerised App though?. That could be downloaded any-time you had a signal?. With a "swipe" type App, to back it up when booking or paying?
Thank you. I'd forgotten CCC but that's probably because I stopped my membership after they cost me a few quid by incorrectly booking the train.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The Camping Card app to go with the ACSI discount card and guidebooks costs an extra €3.59 euro.

http://www.campingcard.co.uk/extra-information/app/

And as mentioned, the card referred to by gus-lopez, which doesn't require the purchase of the guidebooks, is the ACSI Camping ID Card, which can be used for identification, rather than handing over passports. It also includes some third-party insurance. But it won't provide access to the discounts.

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Yes its worth it for us as we tend to use sites so 2/3 nights has covered the cost also found the ID card useful as well and as you say the app is free for the first year.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Spent 4 months in Europe last year just about covered the cost of the book. We don't use sites much but found previous year in Greece sites charge the same with or without the ACSI card. Sites elsewhere can be cheaper without the card if you don't want EHU.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Its only £13 which you save in a couple of nights,,,Decent sites at a good price. BUSBY.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Just looked online and the app is free for the first year when subscribing for 2 plus other savings, so seems good value to me.

I can't see where peak dates are so before I buy is it similar to everything else I.e. School hols? Are trip is early July so will that be peak or not?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just looked online and the app is free for the first year when subscribing for 2 plus other savings, so seems good value to me.

I can't see where peak dates are so before I buy is it similar to everything else I.e. School hols? Are trip is early July so will that be peak or not?
It took me ages but apparently the sites decide and depending on their peak but although July and August are notably peak times, some places will accept during that time apparently.

Deleted User

Peak rates vary from site to site but generally July and August and Semana Santa in Spain

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if anyone is tempted by the reduced price for two books at the nec keep the receipt we paid cash and never recieved the second book and now both acssi and vicarious deny that they have heard of us

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back