Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just bought this, 3 pc licence.

Jeeze its slow.

I wanted it to backup 3 laptops and have the ability to clone a sad and transfer tge data to a bigger ssd.

I'm thinking of sending the software back.. backup up one laptop, two days . Another laptop backup failed, failing to lock file..

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I use the free edition of Macrium Reflect. It's a doddle to use and seems fast but I have nothing to judge it against though.

Cloned both our PC hard drives to SSD's this week and mine took just under 35 minutes to clone and Yvette's steam powered PC took nearer 45 minutes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have a look at FreeFileSync. I use it to back up nominated folders to two NAS drives automatically when files they contain are updated.
For weekly backups (to different disks) in addition I use a self-written batch routine which copies files in nominated folders which have changed since the previous run.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Odd because True Image was a great program when I was using it a few years ago for work (IT Manager now retired).

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have a look at FreeFileSync. I use it to back up nominated folders to two NAS drives automatically when files they contain are updated.
For weekly backups (to different disks) in addition I use a self-written batch routine which copies files in nominated folders which have changed since the previous run.
Think that can only be set up to back-up user data files whereas ShiftZZ may be wanting to clone the operating system as well?

I use the free edition of Macrium Reflect. It's a doddle to use and seems fast but I have nothing to judge it against though.

Cloned both our PC hard drives to SSD's this week and mine took just under 35 minutes to clone and Yvette's steam powered PC took nearer 45 minutes.

Yip, dumped Acronis at least 15 years ago and have used Macrium Reflect Free ever since.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Think that can only be set up to back-up user data files whereas ShiftZZ may be wanting to clone the operating system as well?
Yes, only user data files. I don't clone the lot as, if dealing with a total loss, the OS can be rebuilt from the original recovery copy and software can be easily reloaded. It's the data files which are more volatile.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When I used Windows machines, once I had all my programs installed, and it was running sweet, I would use Acronis to take a disk image. My work was always kept on disks outside the machine. As soon Windows started slowing up or freezing, like it always does, and the reboots took longer and longer, I would take a moment to reinstall an image and be up and running again in 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, the Mac laptop I am writing this on, hasn't been switched off or rebooted in 14 months.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When I used Windows machines, once I had all my programs installed, and it was running sweet, I would use Acronis to take a disk image. My work was always kept on disks outside the machine. As soon Windows started slowing up or freezing, like it always does, and the reboots too longer and longer, I would take a moment to reinstall an image and be up and running again in 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, the Mac laptop I am writing this on, hasn't been switched off or rebooted in 14 months.
Hasn't anyone shown you where the little button is Jim? :LOL:

• Funny
Reactions: Jim
Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Another vote for FreeFileSync. I used to use Windows Home Server but that finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago. Saved my bacon on several occasions.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes, only user data files. I don't clone the lot as, if dealing with a total loss, the OS can be rebuilt from the original recovery copy and software can be easily reloaded. It's the data files which are more volatile.
Agreed, can be rebuilt from scratch however much quicker and simpler to store all data on a separate partition \ drive so the cloned operating system, all software, settings, etc can be reinstalled in less that half an hour.(y)
In addition to the cloned OS it's easy to do an incremental back-up copy of your data using Macrium as well.(y)
G*d forbid if a hard drive failure were to occur with no cloned copy of it.:eek:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Always used ImgBurn. It's free and fast. Once you create the image you can put it anywhere.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have always used clonezilla for many many years. Never felt the need for commercial software for this.

It is built under the same philosophy as Filezilla and Mozilla software. Free and opensource.

It may not be as pretty as the commercial offerings but boy does it get the job done fast.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Agreed, can be rebuilt from scratch however much quicker and simpler to store all data on a separate partition \ drive so the cloned operating system, all software, settings, etc can be reinstalled in less that half an hour.(y)
In addition to the cloned OS it's easy to do an incremental back-up copy of your data using Macrium as well.(y)
G*d forbid if a hard drive failure were to occur with no cloned copy of it.:eek:
I'll take your word for it. My post was in response to ShiftZZ saying, of Acronis, "Jeeze its slow" :)
Having spent a career in information systems I would not be without backup but, like everything, it is a matter of balance.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I'll take your word for it. My post was in response to ShiftZZ saying, of Acronis, "Jeeze its slow" :)
Having spent a career in information systems I would not be without backup but, like everything, it is a matter of balance.
Thanks Graham, have uninstall it, sent it back. Using another package, took a lot less time..

All backed up on two NAS, plus a portable drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back