Oct 13, 2013
Hastings
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
Hi everyone

Just got back from a weekend in Bath and I am suffering from aching shoulders. Having only just got our first van I guess it is just getting used to the different driving position but does anyone have any tips for driving position or accessories such as neck/back supports?

What sort of mileage do you drive in a day? I am so used to eating up the miles in the car that 180 miles did not seem too bad but perhaps it was pushing it a bit too far!

Thanks in advance

Chris

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Did you leave the armrests down? I put them up while driving as they make my shoulders ache!

We reckon on 150 miles a day. Leave at 9 arrive around 1 pm gives us time to suss the site and area and decide how long to stay. :)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Could also be a bit of tension. 200 miles is about the longest I like to drive and I drive with arm rests down but adjusted for me. If badly adjusted they do make you ache.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Drove from Chatsworth to Littlehampton last month, but had no aches. I occasionally use the arm rests for motorway, but for through the town or "busy" driving I always keep them up (ie. I don't use them).

Bill:)

I don't do "busy" driving as a rule. When I said arm rests down I meant when cruising not doing stop / start / tight maneuvering when they would get in the way :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In a MH you are sitting in a totally different position to a car therefore your muscles won't be used to being used in a different position for such a long length of time, chances are that you weren't totally 'settled' either with it being new to you, try having a play around with the height/rake/reach adjustments on the steering wheel and seat it can make a lot of difference.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You need to play around with what is for you a totally different driving position.
In your car you are lower, your feet are higher and the s/wheel is more upright.
In your MoHo make sure that the back of your knees/thighs are comfortouble, your sat back in the seat but at the same time not stretching at all to reach the s/wheel. Can you adjust the wheel, up/down, back/forward?
I used to hate anyone moving my seat in my works van, seemed to take forever to get comfy again.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Longest I usually drive in the motorhome is around 350-400 miles, but this is in Europe. In the UK even 250miles is a bit much.
I have the armrests in use, and having an Aclass I no longer have the problem of a painful neck that I used to get in a coachbuilt due to the top of the windscreen being too low with the raised seats due to the swivels.

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
My legs aren't really long enough to reach the pedals comfortably, so I use one of those cheap metal mesh back supports to move me the extra bit forward that I need, and to support my back as well. Works a treat.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
swivel seats are higher than usual. I found I had problems with aching ankles until I raised the floor level a little. I don't use the arm rests as I found they cause aching shoulders when driving.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our last van was same as yours a boxer and we only had the one arm rest never caused me a problem in 4 years, we always drive from the house to tunnel in one go about 400 miles and would do more of I had to be somewhere for a set time and date.

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I found when I got our first MH that because of the swivel seats, and the frame of the blinds on the front windows I tended to "hunch down" when driving which caused shoulders to ache. All three of the vans we have had have had the same problem, took me a while to get used to it but once you get used to the new driving position its not too bad. As to distance travelled, I try to limit it to a max of 250 miles a day.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
I find that any fixed position will give me some sort of ake if driving to long on the first few days of any trip,so I tend to change angles and rake and steering wheel positions ,then after about a week it just feels right.(until we stay somewhere for a few days)because I then change the seat for lounging and have to start again.But "hey ho"What else have I got to do? Martin:imoutahere:

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I found when I got our first MH that because of the swivel seats, and the frame of the blinds on the front windows I tended to "hunch down" when driving which caused shoulders to ache. All three of the vans we have had have had the same problem, .

yes that's it. Left shoulder was far worse than right for me as the right tended to be more relaxed due to the gear change being that side. I was noticing in the end that without thinking I was 'lifting' the left shoulder due to the position of seat /height/ low screen.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its rare that we do a trip under 200 miles. Never had shoulders ache, numb bum sometimes but that about it. It will be your driving position, and maybe you were a bit tense. Try a few different seat positions and distances till you get it cracked. Hope your next trip is better (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sometimes you can't get the seat where you actually want it ,especially on older stuff like mine. I'd like the seat farther back & also angled back more but you are restricted by the sink/cooker unit that stops the seat going back farther & also the seat angle as the top of seat is hard against unit.
Passenger side is the same but obviously has far more leg room so isn't a problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chris16

chris16

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
Hastings
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
Thanks everyone. I did find I was a bit hunched due to the height of the seat and low windscreen. Will try a few different positions and see what works.

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Longest I usually drive in the motorhome is around 350-400 miles, but this is in Europe. In the UK even 250miles is a bit much.
I have the armrests in use, and having an Aclass I no longer have the problem of a painful neck that I used to get in a coachbuilt due to the top of the windscreen being too low with the raised seats due to the swivels.

Agree with that totally!(y)

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks everyone. I did find I was a bit hunched due to the height of the seat and low windscreen. Will try a few different positions and see what works.

Don't know whether you have cruise control fitted but I find that with it engaged I can move about and relax my legs so avoid lower back tension and consequently don't hunch over the wheel, on our current pvc it also aids the mpg. Using a single arm rest causes muscle tension too imo. Our old Duetto had a single and I gave up using it as it 'appeared' to cause tension right across my shoulders.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A long run for us is around 300 miles in Europe, occasionally 400, but we share the driving. In Britain 250 is enough.

I have the seat back upright so I don't have to lean back to rest my head, and the arm rest down, but I'm only 5'9" so the windscreen view is fine for me.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It will go. As you say, it's your first motor home, I think it's just stress driving. It will go away as you drive it more :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back