accident whilst away not at fault (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
it looks fine from the roof. but I'm just a joiner lol
Ah! So was I you should be able to sort the cupboards out then?😊 Good luck with you claim hope it all works out in your favour.🤞👍

OP
OP
B

bobby

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
Funster No
Ah! So was I you should be able to sort the cupboards out then?😊
yes that would be easy I suppose but should I do anything if something wasnt my fault. I've weighed it up and possibly cost me 10 for marker light a few hours work re sealing the corners and straight the units up. and maybe buff the awning scratches and new end cap 20

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
yes that would be easy I suppose but should I do anything if something wasnt my fault. I've weighed it up and possibly cost me 10 for marker light a few hours work re sealing the corners and straight the units up. and maybe buff the awning scratches and new end cap 20
Let insurance sort it and claim your excess from them😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'd leave it to your insurers to sort out. There may be hidden structural damage.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If your insurance write it off for an agreed settlement you can ask how much to buy it back off them.... if you like the vehicle and have done a lot to it then I’m sure you could fix and sort it..👍🏼

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
In the minor scheme of things, these are probably the rear lights you need to replace....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=222593071298

This item on Ebay is for a pair. The same seller does single as well.

Had to replace one of mine when I managed to break off the bulb holder when changing a bulb.
Fairly straightforward job, two philips screws, two spade connectors and some new non- setting mastic.

Good Luck,

Barry

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I concur leave it to the insurance, you would be gutted if he later claimed from you with slightly different story!
We all make choices, he made his and made an error.
If the boot were on the other foot would he not claim.
Unfortunately you are were you are, do not make it worse.
With your excess recovered your insurance is unlikely to be affected, although it is a claim.

OP
OP
B

bobby

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
Funster No
I
I concur leave it to the insurance, you would be gutted if he later claimed from you with slightly different story!
We all make choices, he made his and made an error.
If the boot were on the other foot would he not claim.
Unfortunately you are were you are, do not make it worse.
With your excess recovered your insurance is unlikely to be affected, although it is a claim.
would my premium go higher in future from this?

Attachments

• IMG-20180610-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20180610-WA0007.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
B

bobby

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
Funster No
I
In the minor scheme of things, these are probably the rear lights you need to replace....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=222593071298

This item on Ebay is for a pair. The same seller does single as well.

Had to replace one of mine when I managed to break off the bulb holder when changing a bulb.
Fairly straightforward job, two philips screws, two spade connectors and some new non- setting mastic.

Good Luck,

Barry
I had to buy some for the mot last year so they are aprox 7 from motor shop in town

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Don't suppose you took photos of the actual coming together? As Just Smiffy said they may write it off, but this isn't the end of the world, you will definitely be able to buy it back off them and do some renovations out of the the cash they give you for the write off value. Make sure that in absolutely ALL of your paperwork with the insurance company that you say the other driver volunteered that he was to blame.

Hope all goes well!

Cheers!

Russ

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you do go down the road of buy back from the insurance company be aware it will probably show up as a w\o and insurance may be difficult to obtain.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I hope if anything does get written off or damage that costs a bit would go in my favour
If they write it off as 'uneconomic to repair' the V5 will usually not be endorsed and they will pay you 'book' value. You can then get a 'buy back' price from them and usually buy it back at much less that they paid out to you. I've done it with a car and motorbike for no fault write-offs.

OP
OP
B

bobby

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
Funster No
If they write it off as 'uneconomic to repair' the V5 will usually not be endorsed and they will pay you 'book' value. You can then get a 'buy back' price from them and usually buy it back at much less that they paid out to you. I've done it with a car and motorbike for no fault write-offs.
how would they get the book value tho. it looks well for the age being a 94 left hand drive

OP
OP
B

bobby

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
Funster No
it's a 6 berth

Attachments

• IMG-20180610-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20180610-WA0007.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 19
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
As per Spriddler. If you look at my Avatar you'll see that there's a big ding in the driver's door of our Mx5 Mk1, The insurance company wrote it off, I purchased another driver's door for £50, (it was better than the original!) and re-insured with the same company. Even got them to come down on the premium, it pays to haggle!!

Cheers!

Russ

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
He’s clearly at fault then if you are on your side and in the passing place. I hope you pursue his insurance.

Doesn't work like that in my experience, and much to my cost. Unless, and I hope so for the OP that the other driver admits it was his fault. My “other“ driver didn’t when I became important.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
how would they get the book value tho. it looks well for the age being a 94 left hand drive
I have always prepared myself by gathering adverts for similar (but not necessarily the same) vehicles (one of my motorbikes was 54 years old) and be prepared to haggle. They must of course offer you a price based upon pre-accident value. However, get a 'buy-back' price at the same time as it's no good accepting what seems an acceptable write-off price from them if they are going to give you a daft buy-back quote (and vice-versa). For my motorbike I accepted a deal that enabled me to repair the bike back to it's undamaged condition/value and have a very good profit.
You may decide that you can live with the 3/4" gap between cupboards and just repair the rest, but this depends upon there being no critical structural damage which would have to be dealt with (but in that case they probably wouldn't give you a buy back option or allow it to be repaired).

Last edited:

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If he tells the truth (if) it's a no fault claim, if he misleads! It might go down as knock for knock.
In my view get the claim in, probably should be done within a time window, each company had its own rules.
There is no perfect outcome, just manage the situation as best you can, buy back salvage as others have suggested, obtain comparable a from vehicles offered for sale, that most likely what a loss adjuster will do

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How do you know it was a hire vehicle.
If you got the hire company name make a claim against them, they must have had a damaged vehicle returned so should be easy enough to trace.
Edit..... Just read other posts so ignore me.

OP
OP
B

bobby

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
Funster No
so had a local motorhome company repair guy out was 30 for the assessment. he said that the obvious things

marker light, end cap on awning to replace. units to align inside. he said that wall had a de laminated part and also the window would need renewing but mentioned about the seals on the motorhome and he said he wouldn't entertain taking them off to re seal as it may open a can of worms. he said 1500 would be the quotation so waiting for that to be sent over. just need to weigh up if I should go through if my insurance premiums would go up in future.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
would my premium go higher in future from this?
ask your insurance company. If he is admitting fault & your company say it will increase tell them to make sure they claim for the complete cost of each years increase for as long as they are going to load it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back