Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
this must be good news:Smile:

New crack down on whiplash cheats
Chris Torney, 20 Jun, 2014
Ministers plan a total block on compensation for accident victims found to be exaggerating their injuries – and honest motorists are set to benefit.

( excerpt from Confused.Com )

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you listen to Insurers and the Daily Mail, then whiplash as a condition doesn't exist.

I just wish the CEO's of these companies, along with the Editor of the DM and Chris Grayling would all sit in a stationary car, whilst another car crashes into them from behind.

I would volunteer to be the other driver.

When a few days later their necks are killing them, they will be better qualified to say whether there is such a condition.

As for exaggeration of symptoms, I am at a loss how this would be proven:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I was hit from the rear by a coach on the M1 in the seventies, it wrote off my new motorhome of less two months,
In them days head rest weren't fitted so all four of us had serious whiplash,
But of course that was also in the days of no litigation so suffered in silence and got on with my life,
Jump forward 30 years and I shoved a guy up the rear end:Doh: at a roundabout in my land rover no damaged to me and slight damaged to his bumper, result! He claimed £10,000 from my insurers when there was absolutely nothing wrong with him, I told the insurance company that it was a false claim and their answer! It's easier to pay out than to contest it,
Go figure!!!!!:Eeek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I was an accident victim four years ago..... nearly five years now. The x-rays showed up the damage very clearly and I still have some paralysis in my left hand - not much now but it is permanent however I've learnt to work round it.

The A&E people said that x-rays and scans would normally show such injuries and they could tell if there was damage or not. More pressure on the NHS of course - although there is a charge for treatment after an RTA I understand.

My insurance company insisted on an injuries lawyer and they pressed for far more compensation than I would have looked for but it did take 4 years, lots of medical tests and stress. Helped pay for Buffy though!!!!

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
On the tele this morning ( and most mornings) crash for cash payouts £350 million per year, cost to motorist £40 per year on insurance. UK has more whiplash than any other Euro country.

True? I don't know.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Hands up all those who have never put a few bob onto an insurance claim of any sort ?

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My job was to prevent fraud,can you imagine the fallout had I made a fake/false exaggerated claim and been found guilty.. I would have lost everything.. Not worth it...

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
On our way back from the I.O.W. in Southampton a bus had connected with a car at some traffic lights. i could see no damage to either :thumb: A bit further up the road a number of Ambulances were rushing to the 'Crash' I said to Dawn there are the accident insurance claims pending :winky:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Me. On the contrary, when we were burgled we lost out by not including things we later found were missing.

That happened to me too:Sad:

When I was first burgled in North London years ago I was so poor that they didn't steal anything at all::bigsmile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hands up all those who have never put a few bob onto an insurance claim of any sort ?

I'm in this club as well - claimed for a watch lost quite some time ago and was paid out for it. When moving, the watch turned up and so notified the insurance and sent back the money (and re-insured it). All sorted.......

It is the same as fiddling expense claims..... Nobody would ever really notice, would they? Until somebody does and then it is gross misconduct and the boot....

Not a saint by any means, but really don't think it is worth it

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
this must be good news:Smile:

New crack down on whiplash cheats
Chris Torney, 20 Jun, 2014
Ministers plan a total block on compensation for accident victims found to be exaggerating their injuries – and honest motorists are set to benefit.

( excerpt from Confused.Com )

They should just change the law so that minor injury claims come off your own insurer, rather than the at-fault party. I bet you'd get 5% of the claims, as after fleecing their own insurer 5 times, no-one would give them insurance.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
That happened to me too:Sad:

When I was first burgled in North London years ago I was so poor that they didn't steal anything at all::bigsmile:

When we were burgled when we first got married,, 1966.. :Eeek::Doh::cry:

We didn`t own hardly anything... but the burgler must have felt sorry... cos he left a TV and Hi-Fi... and a couple of push bikes... :thumb: :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Only had two claims on buildings / household...... one when the roof came off in a storm and the insurance company paid the builder directly. The second was when the power went off and was off for a week - claimed for the freezer contents from the power company. Every item was listed and priced - except for the stuff from the garden which was just a write off - listed but no price.

Two car claims and both settled quickly. One injury claim as before.

Paid out far more in premiums (probably over 50 times more) than I've ever claimed and never added anything onto the claim.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Amazingly that will be me then !
I have never claimed off of any insurances ( touch wood and whistle ) at all !

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have only claimed once.after some really strong winds and it blew some tiles of our roof.went straight through our flat roof.they asked if they could come and see.we said yes.they said we will see you in three weeks.:ROFLMAO:it finished up with a builder,comming round the next day.:thumb:.oh they paid up no prop.:thumb:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Me, claimed once in the last 28 years for a damaged laptop...like for like. Also if I was burgled they would probably tidy up and leave my house anyway or presume the had been beaten to it :)

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris

As for exaggeration of symptoms, I am at a loss how this would be proven...
... or disproven

I had nerve conductivity tests done which clearly showed the extent of the nerve damage. As for symptoms I don't know how pain could be assessed as everyone's pain threshold is different.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What needs to happen is for a few of the bigger fraudulent claims to be followed up and sued for repayment of the damages and prosecuted for fraud. Someone who worked for us last year had the driver in front reverse into them then try and claim for whiplash/car written off/ loss of earnings etc .They found out where the ..........lived and photographed them using the "written off car" and found they lived at a different address to the insured one. Sent details to insurance, claim dropped but no prosecution for attempted fraud thats what it needs.

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back