LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hands up all those who have never put a few bob onto an insurance claim of any sort ?

Not me, although I did quite well out of one once. I listed accurately an ancient Pentax P30N. The claim form wanted you to provide details without valuations (but I thought it was worth about £20 tops). It was the insurance company who bizarrely had an arrangement with Jessops to value the camera and also provide vouchers to that value. Talk about loonies in charge of the asylum. Fancy giving the valuer carte blanche to supply the replacement!

Whilst admittedly it was replace with new cover, I was astonished to find it valued at £400, which got me a nice new Nikon D5100, far from even the cheapest SLR available. I hadn't even used the old thing in 15 years.

On the other hand, we later found a netbook that we thought had been stolen, but had actually fallen behind the sofa. We contacted the insurance company and attempted to return that part of the claim. They weren't interested.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hands up all those who have never put a few bob onto an insurance claim of any sort ?

Me!

In fact two years ago in my 7 day old brand new shiny Mercedes E350 on the road to Poole I stopped and the chap behind didn't Smacked the back of our new car right up, writing off theirs

Lyn and I got out to be confronted by two idiots, screaming and wailing that they were going to sue us.

We pointed out to Mr & Mrs Dumb that they crashed into us, and therefore if anyone was suing anyone it would be us.

We were inundated with calls asking us to sue, which frankly we're just to busy to entertain, we suffered no problems, our details had to be passed on from the insurers, so I feel little sympathy for the industry as if they kept the information confidential a lot of the problems wouldn't exist

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We were inundated with calls asking us to sue, which frankly we're just to busy to entertain, we suffered no problems, our details had to be passed on from the insurers, so I feel little sympathy for the industry as if they kept the information confidential a lot of the problems wouldn't exist

Eddie

I've had this as well. We had a very low speed shunt a couple of years ago - someone went into the back of us at about 5 - 10 mph and just cracked our bumper a bit. For the last two years I've had 2 -3 or more calls a week from people trying to get us to claim compensation. These people then get aggressive when I say I'm not interested - I even had one swearing at me!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Me, adding extra to your claim is fraud and no different to stealing.
Whiplash is a tricky one, most people are honest and if they have symptoms right from the word go then fine. There are some who turn up weeks later never having been to A and E or us and want retrospective recording just to get a few quid. The insurance companies made it easy to claim, so dishonest people did and now the insurance companies are trying to backpeddle and make it fair for the genuine ones. Unusually for me I feel a smidgen of sympathy for the Insurance companies but mostly it's the rest of us who suffer with increased premiums. Bah humbug!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I still get phone calls an texts telling me to claim. As soon as I say I am in Scotland and it was a foreign driver they hang up.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
going through this at the mo, we have a taxi bus and my other half was parrael parking into a space, when he finished woman from car behind was at his door screaming he had hit her vehicle, checked vehicles and no damage to either (other than old damage to hers which had rust around where it was dented) so took pictures and waited. We did inform our broker that someone was saying we had hit them but had felt no impact and there was no damage.
Sure enough insurance company contacts us they had had a claim and would be paying out as it was under 5 grand - i told them i hoped they werent and that they were going to check it out and examine both vehicles because we believed we hadnt touched their vehicle and it wasnt fair to record against us for what we believed to be a scam. They did and refused the claim, she is now taking us to court for 'whiplash and loss of holiday' - Some people are unreal and so are some of these doctors that agree to putting what are basically lies down on paper. I hope in November she gets her come uppance and is denied again because if possible i will be asking for our costs to become hers.
As an aside at some time during the origional claim she had her car all titivated up and it now looks like it just came of a showroom forcourt

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
The compensation culture of today's society along with law firms pushing people into making claim are to blame.

Fair play has gone out of the window and its dog eat dog trying to maximise the amount of money paid out in compensation,.No wonder some unscrupulous people are tempted to exaggerate or falsify insurance claims insurance premiums are high as the companies pass the extra monies needed to settle claims on to their customers .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The compensation culture of today's society [HI]along with law firms pushing people into making claim are to blame.[/HI]

Fair play has gone out of the window and its dog eat dog trying to maximise the amount of money paid out in compensation,.No wonder some unscrupulous people are tempted to exaggerate or falsify insurance claims insurance premiums are high as the companies pass the extra monies needed to settle claims on to their customers .

It was largely claims management companies who were to blame. They then sold leads onto law firms.

That practice was stopped April 2013.

Whiplash claims will in time die a death because the Government has vastly reduced the fees a lawyer can recover for that sort of claim. It's hardly worth doing now.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It was largely claims management companies who were to blame. They then sold leads onto law firms.

That practice was stopped April 2013.

[HI]Whiplash claims will in time die a death because the Government has vastly reduced the fees a lawyer can recover for that sort of claim. It's hardly worth doing now.[/HI]

Surely no lawyer would pursue a claim just to make money themselves would they? :winky::roflmto:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Blimey. What an honest bunch you are :Smile:

Up in Bradford it was almost normal for a builder to add a bit onto the bill to cover the insurance excess.

Can't honestly remember if I did that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back