Acceptable or Selfish🤔🤔🤔 (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
This just posted on the recently formed Scottish Borders Aires Network group on Facebook re Glencaple. A group taking over all the motorhome parking bays. Thoughts!
75744858-4AB6-4847-8095-B48E6D967290.jpeg

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Can't see any other vehicles in the spaces around the place.

More bitter, jealous locals having a pop at our community.

Won't be long before they're posting about toilets emptied in hedges, waste used bog roll and inconsiderate motorhomers spoiling it for everyone else.

Slap a small fee for parking, mark out bays etc and we'll comply and they'll make a few bob.

Keep thinking that Tintagel has got it sussed 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I hardly think a weekend stay for locals is overstaying a welcome.
Whats the betting the poster is just miffed they didnt have the opportunity of staying the weekend.
You couldn’t be further from the truth even if you tried. I have had the pleasure of using this stopover for 10 years. As for staying on a Bank Holiday weekend not a chance stayed at home. 🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Can't see any other vehicles in the spaces around the place.

More bitter, jealous locals having a pop at our community.

Won't be long before they're posting about toilets emptied in hedges, waste used bog roll and inconsiderate motorhomers spoiling it for everyone else.

Slap a small fee for parking, mark out bays etc and we'll comply and they'll make a few bob.

Keep thinking that Tintagel has got it sussed 👍🏻
I somehow don’t think you are familiar with the location, The very pro motorhome community are to be applauded for their efforts.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
You couldn’t be further from the truth even if you tried. I have had the pleasure of using this stopover for 10 years. As for staying on a Bank Holiday weekend not a chance stayed at home. 🤣🤣🤣
As a template for my mind, I used aires in France to formulate a view.
nice aire, nice area, only 6 vans allowed, annoying when you cant get it, bliss when you can.

Hope you get to enjoy it at some stage

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
As a template for my mind, I used aires in France to formulate a view.
nice aire, nice area, only 6 vans allowed, annoying when you cant get it, bliss when you can.

Hope you get to enjoy it at some stage
We go in the Autumn and Winter months for the birdwatching for which the area is renowned 👍👍👍

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Staying two nights in a place where motorhomes are allowed to stay seems selfish?

I thought the general rule was two nights?
"The whole of the bank holiday weekend" so maybe they were there Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
"The whole of the bank holiday weekend" so maybe they were there Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
Maybe, but we don't know?

It also could have been six random people who were happy together and social, or a few different each night, or a bunch of locals.

Just seems harsh calling this selfish to me. I'm honestly not having a go, so I apologies if it comes across that way. Just fed up (in general) with motorhomers being slated across social media by other motorhomers. Seams a bit self-harm to me.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Maybe, but we don't know?

It also could have been six random people who were happy together and social, or a few different each night, or a bunch of locals.

Just seems harsh calling this selfish to me. I'm honestly not having a go, so I apologies if it comes across that way. Just fed up (in general) with motorhomers being slated across social media by other motorhomers. Seams a bit self-harm to me.
You're right, I don't know anything about it 😆 I'll shut up 😊

I did put "it seems selfish to me" rather than "they are selfish" so it's only my opinion based on very limited facts 😎

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
You're right, I don't know anything about it 😆 I'll shut up 😊

I did put "it seems selfish to me" rather than "they are selfish" so it's only my opinion based on very limited facts 😎
I really wish the Facebook crowd were as gracious. Be a nicer online world IMO :giggle:

Again, sorry if I offended. I didn't mean to.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We stay 5 miles away and I can assure you the locals welcome the vans, however a few are getting fed up of a fews behaviour. We cycled to the boathouse on Sunday for something to eat and the quay had 7 MHs, I’m positive there are only 4 bays. They have asked that mhs don’t use the car spaces until after 9 as both the boathouse and hotel use these for customers, unfortunately this is being ignored by many. The ones there at the weekend looked like they had set up camp rather than just parking, they had placed their tables and chairs along the grass behind the bays making it difficult for anyone to walk here.
We also passed castle corner which had 12 vans in which isn’t a major problem as they had space between, every lay-by between the two had mhs in them.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Stayed there for a night last year and received a warm welcome. Had a takeaway from the hotel and loved the place. We even saw a guy go swimming in the pitch black - only new where he was by the head torch he was wearing!! Hope to return some day.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It seems selfish to me. But without rules and fines, people are.
Why? Who was inconvenienced by the ones already parked up? Probably only the ones too late to get a space. Like everywhere. You snooze you lose.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What was wrong with others heading to Castle corner if the aire was full(y) No scottish meets are fundraising this year but any extra money we collect is being given to the dogs at Glencaple. 1. As dogs are close to my heart and Glencaple rescue is only a small outfit and 2. because Glencaple supports motorhomes.(y)

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
What was wrong with others heading to Castle corner if the aire was full(y) No scottish meets are fundraising this year but any extra money we collect is being given to the dogs at Glencaple. 1. As dogs are close to my heart and Glencaple rescue is only a small outfit and 2. because Glencaple supports motorhomes.(y)
Reuben, an ex-Glencaple resident says thank you. He had his first walk with us near the quay. This rescue has suffered badly during the pandemic, so if anyone is visiting Dumfries & Galloway, please visit its shops - Dumfries, Annan, Newton Stewart.

C06BBE82-D521-4D5A-AC46-3B5146235F85.jpeg

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
This just posted on the recently formed Scottish Borders Aires Network group on Facebook re Glencaple. A group taking over all the motorhome parking bays. Thoughts!View attachment 503425
I tend to agree that an Aire should be for 24 hours max. If you want to stay longer in one place, do the decent thing and spend a few quid.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I tend to agree that an Aire should be for 24 hours max. If you want to stay longer in one place, do the decent thing and spend a few quid.
The trouble is with staying a single night, it often doesn't give time to go out and have a local meal or spend a few quid in the local pubs etc.

Granted, we can all use the local shops and still get up in the morning and leave, which is great. But I'm sure most here wouldn't be happy driving after having a few the night before and that means these businesses could lose out. If you were to say 48 hours I think I'd agree and it's what we usually do (whether on a site or anywhere else).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back