Free Member
May 31, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello all, My wife and I have just bought an ancient Fiat Ducato Fanfare motorhome and now realise how little we know about it ! For instance, has the ignition to remain on when you are on site, as nothing works without it? I told you we were absolute beginners!Thanks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
:welcomefunster:
Ignition definitely shouldn't be on whilst you are pitched. The 12v circuit to the fridge (assuming it has one) should only work when the engine is running, as it would soon flatten a battery otherwise, but all other 12v circuits should work from a separate leisure battery.

Our son had a similar situation with an old camper van he bought (though it wasn't wired through the ignition). A previous owner had rewired it wrongly so it was taking power from the starter battery. We traced the circuitry and rewired it as necessary.

I would get the wiring checked out if I were you. Not a hard job if you understand electric circuits and not all that expensive. If you don't understand circuits best get a qualified electrician in.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
also make sure your incar electrics are turned on mine is beneath the drivers seat but your maybe elsewhere without this on your 12v wont work but on ehu your 240v will

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
We have a separate consumer unit and charging unit that runs the caravan. You can also charge both batteries from it. What ever you do don't leave your keys in the van and flatten your battery.

Did you buy Privately? Surly if you did the old owner would have gone through things with you. We got ours from a Dealer and they spent a good two hours with us making sure we understood every detail of operation. They filled the tanks with water showed us how to fill the water heater run through literally everything with us.... We were so impressed by them and they put us at complete ease, so much so we took the van straight to a CL and had a couple of nights away in it.:thumb:

Anyway welcome to the forum and happy Motorhoming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back