ABS BRAKE SENSOR WIRES CUT. Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
.22 between the eye's there lovely fried in butter and garlic then a liberal amount of a full boded read wine
with a few herbs like bay leaf and just a hint of Rosemary and time once thurely cooked remove from the pan to rest ade dubel cream and whisk up to a rich souse seasoning to your plate
bill

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Bill, i think that sounds great for country squirrels but i dont fancy the urban ones where i live :xsad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
My monies on a Fox, had one in my shed last year that chewed through various cables and they looked the same as your photos

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
My monies on a Fox, had one in my shed last year that chewed through various cables and they looked the same as your photos

had a spate of foxes chewing through ABS cables around here,
cannot help with the reason, i’m now out of the motor trade so haven’t done one this last year,

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
had a spate of foxes chewing through ABS cables around here,
cannot help with the reason, i’m now out of the motor trade so haven’t done one this last year,
Just cant "Stop" them selves :xwink:

Apr 18, 2015
richmond surrey
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1961
...and just to add to the list, squirrels bit through mains supply to lights round garden pond, then bit through the fuel supply tube under my old Fiat Panda towed car. Fortunately I noticed the smell of petrol when I got into the car, and a friend identified the marks as large rodent teeth when we replaced the damaged part. We did coat the new tube with bittering spray, and had no further trouble (but changed the car anyway)

Feb 7, 2016
west sussex
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1975
This happened to our van, it looks like mice have chewed through the wires and I have seen a mouse run out from under the van. The problem is the wires are covered in a soya based rubber which mice are rather partial to. Our local ford garage recommended a product called Rat Tape it is a tape impregnated with chilli, I think it is made by Honda, you wrap it round the exposed wires although we did have to put the van over a pit to actually do the job.We bought it on the Internet. I think we just typed in rat tape.

OP
OP
hobbyhome
Jul 7, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 555
Exp
32 YEARS
This happened to our van, it looks like mice have chewed through the wires and I have seen a mouse run out from under the van. The problem is the wires are covered in a soya based rubber which mice are rather partial to. Our local ford garage recommended a product called Rat Tape it is a tape impregnated with chilli, I think it is made by Honda, you wrap it round the exposed wires although we did have to put the van over a pit to actually do the job.We bought it on the Internet. I think we just typed in rat tape.
We have replaced the wires and covered in a cloth covered in Jeyes fluid.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If it was malicious it would have been a single cut. Whatever is doing this likes the taste plastic ! Check other cables and it's just happening to this one and the van is always parked in the same spot I would explore the immediate area.

OP
OP
hobbyhome
Jul 7, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 555
Exp
32 YEARS
We have replaced the wires and covered in a cloth covered in Jeyes fluid.

jeffgolding

Free Member
Sep 7, 2008
Funster No
Hi,
I had exactly the same thing on a van conversion, I was sure I was being got at, jealously.?.
However it turned out to be foxes, sleeping under the van, getting bored and then chewing whatever was available.
To stop it I got two sheets of 8 x 4 plastic and marked it out into 2 inch squares,
Then I screwed 1 1/2 inch sharp screws through it, so that it made a bed of nails (screws).
Now when ever I park the van up. On the drive for a couple of days or more, I slide these underneath between the rear wheels, so the foxes can’t get comfy.
Problem solved, never had any trouble since I started using my “stingers”

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Also, in this photo, how a mouse can burn your house down. Found under floorboards, mains voltage cable with insulation stripped by a mouse, leaving the bare conductors just a few millimetres apart.
gnawed2.jpg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Imagine trying to find that when the power started tripping out you would have had loads of floorboards up trying to find the problem.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Imagine trying to find that when the power started tripping out you would have had loads of floorboards up trying to find the problem.
Imagine doing that on a pig farm which had many miles of cabling in the fattening sheds, farrowing sheds / stalls, etc etc with more running through barns and other outbuildings. Welcome to my world a number of years ago. That was the year I took up rat shooting (y)

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
My money would be on a rat as they love eating the plastic cables . My local commercial dealership have the contracts for the rubbish lorries and they constantly get the Lorries in for chewed cables .

19 kenny 42

Free Member
Aug 2, 2017
ackworth yorks
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
i would say rats,many years ago i was a sparky,lots of work on farms ,found that rats love plastic.try wrapping the cable with densal tape

Jul 17, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E760
Exp
I have had the similar problem while parked up at home, happen in the summer which delayed us getting away on time. Mine was the power cable to the fuel pump. I could see the indent of teeth marks on the cable cover, and the section that had been bitten through was wide enough to make me think it was a fox cub, certainly not a squirrel. Fox cubs are no different to puppies they like to play, and getting under the Moho is no trouble for them it is high enough for them to walk under. It was suggested to me to place a tray of sand soak with diesel oil, just enough to make a smell. I have tried it out while parked up at home and had no further trouble.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back