Jan 16, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
Hi all,

Literally in USA (Houston) looking for an RV to purchase and tour US for 6 months then may be ship home. Trouble is we have got confused over this weight issue. Thought we had it all sussed but when come to look we actually dont understand which weight on the 'plate' we need to adhere to. Husband has HGV anyway so not a real problem butjust means I cant drive it when we get home and resale value drops if over the 7.5tonne.

Found a really nice Georgie Boy Pursuit, 24,500 miles, year made 2000, 33.5 ft long, price wanted 35,000 dollars (about 23,972 sterling). GVWR is 18,000 POUNDS. = 8.18 tonnes. So too heavy for normal UK licence? What do you all think about the price? We have plenty of time, no rush and many more to see if wanted to. You have all been so helpful on here, thought I'd ask y'all first.

Stella

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Guys
Is it hot enough there for y'all ???????I was talking to my neice last night,(on Skype) just South of Houston SHE said it's hot !!!!!!!!!
AFAIK you can 'downrate' the max gross weight when you register it in UK, sooo what you must do is establish the empty weight of M/H add on a ton or so for your gear and that total should by 7.5ton or less. I think that is what the dealers do in this country to sell the 'car licence' units.
How long do you expect to be around Houston ?? We fly in Sun week (30th) See you there???
Pamala & Nigel

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Hi Oakey, we've got family in Houston, used to love it over there ourselves until a GB passport seemed to mean 'terrorist' on both side of the Atlantic.

Don't forget the Bleedin' Obvious as the great Basil put it:

A) The cost of shipping,insurance etc
B) The cost of fuel in the UK
D) Ditto insurance
E) How comfortable will you be on the small roads in the more interesting bits of Britain?

Not knocking for a moment, but horses are sometimes not right on other courses!

Hope it all goes well, whatever you finally decide, and welcome back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'd say it was a tad expensive the dealers are used to a hammering offer 25K and walk away, give him a mobile number and an hr to make up his mind before you pick another dealer then settle on 27,500 dollers tell him they are as cheapif not cheaper back home with all the taxes paid:thumb:
Its a buyers market for sure
He who dares Rodney he who dares!!!!:Cool:
You need Rory over there with you hed want it and get it for24k:thumb:
Hit low Hit hard
Geo

4b2

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 Years
There are a couple of this make for sale on fleebay at the moment:

Link Removed

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You need Rory over there with you hed want it and get it for24k
Hit low Hit hard
Geo

Heh Geo we'll be arriving on 2nd June for our last trip then selling the RV & Jeep.
We've got a friend coming over to spend a few days with us and me and the guy are going to buy a new 40ft 5th wheel for him. They have a share of a lake and are going to put it on there with their boat. Already started softening a couple of dealers up the discounts they're offering are quite amazing 27% before we've even started. We're also gonna buy through my Montana LLC so no tax and may even shove my RV in the deal as a part ex.

oakeyfamily
My advice is haggle as hard as hell, whatever the sticker price is don't start off offering more than half and be prepared to walk away. Dealing in the USA is a really different experience to the UK yanks never pay sticker price for anything. 50% or 60% of asking price is easily achievable believe me I've achieved it on RV's & cars. Don't be embarrassed to offer a really low price and don't be worried when the salesman does his "I've never been so insulted act" its all part of the game. There are hundreds of dealers selling RVs you can always move on to the next one and make sure you play one against the other for the best deal.
Good Luck & Enjoy:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
oakeyfamily

oakeyfamily

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
Hi Guys,

Well thank you for the posts. Real nice to have some feedback. We saw another we liked today - Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 2003, 2 slides, class A, 12,400 mileage. On for 49,490 dollars, reduced to 43,995 but offered 37 rising to 39 dollars. Got refused. Was with PPL who have only assignments (ie not owned by them but sell for customer). Customer wouldnt budge (wanted 40,500 dollars). We refused and walked. Came back to hotel hoping we'd have message waiting for us but didnt. Some you win some you lose. But we fell in love with it so the Georgie Boy is out now. Went back to have a look at the Georgie boy and not as good as what we thought in the first viewing, some delamination. Off to Denton tomorrow. Thanks very much Forrestboy for all your help, you have been so helpful and have taken your previous advice on board. Have the LLC set up ready.......

Exciting stuff!

Decided not to worry about the weight issue too much. Think all these are too heavy anyway. James has HGV and he will be driving it in the UK/Europe anyway. so have decided to delete that 'tick box'.

Thanks everyone though.

In answer to question. In Huston for at least another couple of days but not sure where after. If dont buy might travel to Florida and do Lazy Days. Said we wouldnt but might do (or go back to the Gulfstream we fell in love with today, ha ha).

Stella and James

xxxxxxxxx

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Friend of mine did the same thing many years ago - toured the states and brought it home!

You will be looking at up to 5k i would guess to get it here - back then he paid 3k, so i suggest 5k budget.

Try and stay under 7.5t, or with the money you save, do a C1 which will pop your licence up to 12t rigid - have a think whilst you are over there. you may find it is worth it for the extra luxury, but be wise as the resale will also be lower.

When over, you will need to account for tax, SVA test and mot/registration etc. Have a budget for this also. I know some dealers will include the shipping if you push them - try it! Long as you talk to them, they love english, they will do anything for you!

Your golden figure is 16535lbs (7.5t)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If you do go to Florida to try Lazydays try Longview as well much better to deal with than Lazydays.They're just up the I10 on exit 14 also RV World another 10 miles east. If you are up there 1st week June give us a call our base is only half a mile away we'll be there for a week before starting our journey.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
oakeyfamily

oakeyfamily

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
For those that are interested....... we bought the Gulf Stream today. But it is a beautiful vehicle and in imaculate condition so very pleased.

Stella
xxxxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back