About a week left in a rented house. (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Its taken about a month to sort out and clear all of the accumulated junk that living in a house accrues.
Some stuff that means allot to us is in or going to be in storage by the end of the week.
I prefer to call it long terming at the moment because its going to be all new and who knows what happens . We have an old , was told by JJ ,thats not old 680 starline Hymer .
Everything works so far on it we have been away a fair few times and we feel more at home in our van than we do in this house . That must sound daft to most folks .
We have researched and think we know , well do know really whats best for us .
Not running away from anything dont owe anyone .
Its been in my head for ages to just go and travel even before we got our motorhome .
The boss said when we got home last time , why dont we just live in the van we are both not happy in this house, result (y)
We have got a few grand behind us and , if it all goes womens top thingys up a place we can stay to sort stuff out.
Im not to bad with engines and fixing stuff , so its not too bad that way .

Just read my post so far and it sounds like im trying to justify our decision im not , it just shows how its ingrained in me just to do the normal thing . I annoy myself sometimes.

Anyways i thought id open my thoughts about whats happening to us at the end of the week .

Will be asking for advice i bet soon :) and when more experienced hopefully can advise as well.

If you've read this far well done (y)

Steve .

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Were two weeks into full timing between our static van and our Moho. Downsizing was a bugger but that's all done now. At this moment sat at Dover waiting for the ferry and looking forwards and not back.
Good luck. (y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well done you on starting a new adventure in life. Looking forward to your updates .. trials and tribulations and upbest moments. :)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Be warned!
Some years ago my wife and I did just what you have in mind albeit in a much smaller vehicle - off into the unknown with very few specific plans.
20 years later we returned to the UK having wandered far and wide, not all in the camper, and although it wasn't always blue skies and smiling faces, it was something we both still look back on with fond memories and wouldn't have missed it for the world.
I hope you enjoy your adventure as much as we did.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Good luck with however your life turns out.
We are moving out of our house in a few weeks to live in our van while we refurb a house in France.
Then, we either live in the house, or sell it to buy a newer van and fund our travelling for a time while we look for another house to buy, in France ( or Spain, or Italy...who knows.)
Selling seems a good idea at the moment.
If we ever come back to the UK, we will rent, but that's not on the cards at all.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Did you have any problems sorting out insurance for full timing?

Steve

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I unintentionally full timed for 9'months, went home and felt just as you said---/- more at home in the van than in my house.
Spent 3 months selling stuff, clearing junk, chasing up estate agents and left for a year full timing. Didn't regret a day, even when it piured with rain.
Enjoy everything you do, new adventures ahead.

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Good luck and enjoy yourself. If I'm honest, I wish we could do it as well but it'll be a few more years yet for us (get the kids sorted with the final years of college and uni)

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
We sold up and set off 10 years ago. We have always lived in the van but have parked up and done seasonal work at times in the UK. We did find 'guilt' crept in, that we should be doing what everyone else was doing, have a job, set a good example for the children etc and it took a long while for that to go. So we came back every year, did some work, and convinced ourselves that we were still contributing to society. But as the years passed, yes years, we have let go and travel abroad more and more. We still return to visit family and see the grandchildren, to have the mot, stock up on bits and pieces and just have a rest and allow the anticipation build up for the next adventure.

We have no regrets about what we have done and no desire to own a house again. We do have plans written down for what would happen if the van was written off in an accident, what we would do if it needed a long term repair, what would happen if one of us fell really ill etc. Just the practicalities, where we could stay in an emergency, what resources we would use for short term accomodation, long term accomodation, storage of van contents etc.

Each of us have different circumstances and you have to go with what is right for you.

Good luck.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We are lucky that we have both retired very early and can afford to do as we like now. We are busy selling off stuff we aren't taking to France. We will come back every couple of months or so, my Father is rather elderly and getting frail now, so we need to keep visiting. In France we are only a couple of hours by plane away if we need to get back urgently, or a 7 leisurely hour drive ( we don't do anything other than leisurely!)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Were two weeks into full timing between our static van and our Moho. Downsizing was a bugger but that's all done now. At this moment sat at Dover waiting for the ferry and looking forwards and not back.
Good luck. (y)
Where's your static caravan located? There are a few MH owners who live on the site that our static is on at Chapel Hill, Lincolnshire who go away for the 2 month closure period.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
An interesting read and one I may well face in the coming years. To be honest I've never truly like 'house' living. As a kid I would camp in a tent in the garden. When I owned my caravan that resided on the drive I would sleep out in the van.

Furniture, TVs, clothes, cooking and eating equipment could all go without a thought but I have a largish collection of original art paintings that I have bought/commissioned over the years, some I could move on from but there are ten to 15 pieces that I need to see. I'm working on how to hang some inside the MH.

The pictures are WIP but I also have about ten sculpture pieces that are a large part of my life. Some are too heavy to consider carrying in the van, others too large and fragile to survive travelling.

Grace, if only she could fly with me;

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
wigster
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Did you have any problems sorting out insurance for full timing?

Steve
No because we have a genuine address that we can live at . I said long terming not full timing , wouldn't ever be as mad to do that on a public forum (y)
clear.png

Reactions: Jim
Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Hi Steve
We where parked up beside you at Thetford, wish you the best for all your future travels and keep us all posted.
Ray & Joy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back