Abbeywood v Crystal Palace (London) (1 Viewer)

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
We are currently staying at Crystal Palace campsite so my daughter can work in London while she waits to move into a flat.

Having stayed also at Abbeywood, I thought I would give the fors and against for anyone wanting to camp near London.
ABBEY WOOD
10 mins to station
Stops at London Bridge, Waterloo, Charing Cross, Cannon Street - possibly many more!
Local walk to Lessness Abbey and woodland walk.
Train to Greenwich for Cutty Sark, Observatory, Greenwich Park and museums.
CRYSTAL PALACE
Various buses and trains to London and the underground. Possibly closer and more choice than Abbeywood depending where you are visiting.
Crystal Palace Park is almost on site.
Horniman museum and park is 35mins walk
Bars and restaurants in walking distance (haven't tried any)
Against
Abbeywood has no nightlife/bars in walking distance as such.
Crystal Palace, due to close at the end of the year, in in need of a refurbishment in the shower blocks and the grounds are more basic.
I believe both will be in the ULEZ from end of October so that rules us out after that!
Feel free to comment ?

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Thanks for those. We have been thinking of a trip to the Smoke to visit, amongst other things, the Imperial War Museum and your observations have helped

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
I’ve been staying at Abbey Wood for the past 3 weeks, commuting to work at Canary Wharf. Agree frequent reliable train service to city or via DLR at Woolwich Arsenal. Only one restaurant, the Taj Mahal Indian, ok food and friendly service and one pub that serves pizza’s!
Now having a week at the CCC site at Chertsey, nice town on the river, lots of quality pub/restaurants and 1 hour on train to central London.
Both worthy of consideration.
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Both Nice enough sites. Its the place that`s a ******* hole. (dump) I use Chertsey too for it`s proximity to LHR.

OP
OP
Sucoz

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Expansion of the ULEZ does not happen till 26 Oct 2021, not this Oct as OP said.

For other restrictions on your vehicle got to the Tfl website.
That's good news, I'm jumping ahead of myself!

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
We are currently staying at Crystal Palace campsite so my daughter can work in London while she waits to move into a flat.

Having stayed also at Abbeywood, I thought I would give the fors and against for anyone wanting to camp near London.
ABBEY WOOD
10 mins to station
Stops at London Bridge, Waterloo, Charing Cross, Cannon Street - possibly many more!
CRYSTAL PALACE
Various buses and trains to London and the underground. Possibly closer and more choice than Abbeywood depending where you are visiting.
Against
Crystal Palace, due to close at the end of the year, in in need of a refurbishment in the shower blocks and the grounds are more basic.
I believe both will be in the ULEZ from end of October so that rules us out after that!
Feel free to comment ?

Spot on, both very good sites, but on balance I prefer Crystal Palace given proximity to vibrant local centre whereas Abbey Wood locale is a bit grotty. Also prefer the more interesting No3 bus route to the train route - top deck, front row seats passing through Brixton into Central London via Westminster. Tourists pay good money for that! Used to be a really good CAMRA pub at Crystal Palace (Grape & Grain), great beer, live music and a fun quiz night - first prize was always a scotch egg! Sadly boarded up last time I was there having been acquired by Wetherspoons. ?

Saturday market in Brixton - ‘rock down to Electric Avenue...’ is a great London experience.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Thanks for those. We have been thinking of a trip to the Smoke to visit, amongst other things, the Imperial War Museum and your observations have helped

No3 bus from Crystal Palace goes right past the Imperial War Museum.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Even more advice. MHF is such a good place!
Thanks all

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We've stayed at both over the years. Being a Fox we loved seeing our relations living in their dens at Abbey Wood.

Sep 13, 2018
Ludlow, UK
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
No wonder there are more confirmed cases of the virus in London Can not believe the above posts...

OP
OP
Sucoz

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
dickydo, since we live in our van where do you suggest we camp?
There are plenty of people on site and I am just as much self isolated from them as people living in a flat next door
Also my daughter is a teacher and still working, teaching the children of nurses, doctors, shop assistants etc.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
And my response is relating to trips in the future.

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010

ABBEY WOOD
10 mins to station
CRYSTAL PALACE
Against
Feel free to comment ?

I think you will be alright with Abbey wood
<Broken link removed>

Sep 13, 2018
Ludlow, UK
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
Sucoz, please do not think that I meant any offence I promise you My bad manners are inexcusable caused by reading a post in isolation and not reading the whole thread, my fault and a lesson learnt! Also I had your dilemma a few years ago and chose Crystal Palace which I chose for the same benefits as listed by you! No hard feelings I hope

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back