AAaaarghh, possible gearbox failure (1 Viewer)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
eventually discovered that it was the egr valve clogged up, very clogged actually, got that cleaned out, problem solved, phew..

(by the way, i know bugger all about modern engines, do all of them have egr valves?)

hi dryad Andy @Techno100 had a thread running on the problems they could cause ...ie similar experience to yours...
I did some work on my transit to clean up the intake side and then got it re mapped to delete the egr function out of the ecu. cheaper than replacing egr valves..
Link to thread if it works , its a long one :)
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/egr-valve-blanking-cheating.100210/
ta andy

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
(by the way, i know bugger all about modern engines, do all of them have egr valves?)[/QUOTE]

Afraid so, lots of posts on here and elsewhere about blanking them off, mind an occasional "Italian tune up" can be effective (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Italian TUNE UP is the way the EGR system is meant to be cleaned out a good trash is a very good way of clearing the cobwebs out of an engine, unfortunately it tends to be illegal with the performance of modern vehicles being so high.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As an aside 'limp mode' is normally engaged when a fault occurs that will compromise emission control. It is rarely (never to the best of my knowledge) engaged to protect anything mechanical.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I run a couple of Sprinters with the 5g-Tronic Gearbox and a Mercedes S-Class.

They can be a bit tetchy and don't like duff chassis batteries.

Also best to get the Engine and Gearboxes warmed up a bit before you go thrashing them uphill-down dale. Especially if towing!.

TM

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I run a couple of Sprinters with the 5g-Tronic Gearbox and a Mercedes S-Class.

They can be a bit tetchy and don't like duff chassis batteries.

Also best to get the Engine and Gearboxes warmed up a bit before you go thrashing them uphill-down dale. Especially if towing!.

TM

Could be an interesting point ref the battery, I do have a reputation for needing a jump start, so the new battery fitted yesterday can only help (y)

We have also found we need to leave our MH on tick over for a few minutes before moving off, or it really does not seem to want to pull away, may all be related to same issue, can only hope

Just about to call garage to see if we might still be away today

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Could be an interesting point ref the battery, I do have a reputation for needing a jump start, so the new battery fitted yesterday can only help (y)

We have also found we need to leave our MH on tick over for a few minutes before moving off, or it really does not seem to want to pull away, may all be related to same issue, can only hope

Just about to call garage to see if we might still be away today
That's normally a Maf fault.Or the MAF to ecu readings not correct.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Right, time to close this thread, but unfortunately I am off to start another

The cheapish component is fitted not as hard to get to as they feared, but has now confirmed that things are more serious

Off to new thread

Mercedes Hymer Turbo woes

See you there maybe :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back