Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
I decided to take all the cushion covers of of my Apache, have them cleaned and put them back on. Well it was a struggle getting them off, but I managed. They are now clean and look like new. At 0900hrs I started to put them back on and am still at it. I managed to put one in the wrong way round only discovered this when I tried to do up the zip. So if you are thinking of doing this DON'T.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Cushion stuffing the no problem way.

I decided to take all the cushion covers of of my Apache, have them cleaned and put them back on. Well it was a struggle getting them off, but I managed. They are now clean and look like new. At 0900hrs I started to put them back on and am still at it. I managed to put one in the wrong way round only discovered this when I tried to do up the zip. So if you are thinking of doing this DON'T.

In my past life I was involved with the upholstery trade. Cushion stuffing was always the least loved job in the workshop.

Problem with stuffing cushions, is twofold.

1. Foam expands making it difficult to fit.

2. Foam friction against the cloth cover increases the difficulty of sliding cover into place

1.Compressing the foam is difficult, but generally don't try to pull the cover over the foam, rather fold the foam interior in half and open it up inside the cover, adjusting position as you work round.

2 Try wrapping the foam with thin polythene sheeting before inserting, and then pull the polythene out, leaving the foam to expand within the cover.
Alternatively you could wrap the foam with thin Dacron sheeting which makes it easier to insert the foam. this sheeting can be left in place giving a more luxurious feel to the cushion.

Hope that this helps, Good luck. :thumb:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was going to say that bin liners are your friends when putting big cushion covers onto foam but beaten to it i see:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Well thank goodness for this thread!!!
I have removed our matress covers and washed them. :Doh:
I was wondering how the dickens I was going to get them back on:Sad:
It's definitely not going to be easy but some of these ideas may help.

Wyn

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Why are you trying to cover a Red Indian he is bound to struggle:Eeek::groan:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements