AA withdraws breakdown cover from smart motorways (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
A possible long-term solution is smart vehicles that are able to travel autonomously with very small gaps between each vehicle. Two lanes would almost certainly be enough with a third for joining & leaving the "train" and for the rare breakdowns. It may be the one place high speed autonomous vehicles make sense.

Talking about small gaps.......I was surprised to learn that the maxium traffic capacity is achieved when traffic is travelling at around 15 mph, ie. traffic travelling closer together.

Forget about Smart Motorways......impose a speed restriction of 15 mph, sorted, haha !!!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
They were supposed to be here as well Gus but was overruled as not necessary translated too expensive

The first Smart Motorways in the UK had refuges every 500m. I don't know the current spacing but assumed it had remained at 500m.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
On Smart sections I never drive on the inside lane maybe they should be boycotted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
romany

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
The first Smart Motorways in the UK had refuges every 500m. I don't know the current spacing but assumed it had remained at 500m.
I believe I.m right that some of these safe places are now up to 800 apart even a 1000

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
A problem highlighted tonight on BBC was that very little of the Smart motorways have "stopped Vehicle Sensor system", they relied instead on cameras that may or may not be working and the control room is NOT automatically told if a vehicle has stopped on the hard shoulder / lane 1.
Myself I find the in and out, on and off hard shoulder running lanes to be dangerous so I am afraid that I prefer to stick in the old slow lane.
Mike

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Personally, I hate them.

A simple RTC quickly results in traffic backing up with nowhere to go and nowhere for 999 services to get to it. You can’t reverse run the carriageway till someone is there to ensure nobody is going to go past the incident and nobody can get there due to all lanes being congested.

You can imagine what happens in a serious RTC.

Cheap way to improve congestion they may well be, I would rather be 10 minutes late thanks.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
with very small gaps between each vehicle. T
Spaniards do that now.
recovering broken down cars can be made easier using the American trucks with automated lift. Back up to disabled vehicle with towing boom lowered to the ground. arms then power out and lock round front tyres. lift boom and drive on. It takes a skilled operator 20 seconds to hitch and drag a car. a skill sharpened by repossessing cars from delinquent payers, some with guns

The work involved in strengthening the chassis!
I believe I.m right that some of these safe places are now up to 800 apart even a 1000
I thought it was 1 mile or 1,5 miles between them?

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

From Highways England own website....

7119E224-0F53-49C2-9AE9-C1B4A119130E.jpeg

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
First, Drop HS2!, 100`s of billions to get to Birmingham 20 min quicker? (and not central Birmingham either!) Use the money to 1) improve rural/commute Bus/Rail services. 2) Increase Motorway capacity with new or extra full lanes and keep the hard shoulders OR improve existing non motorways (Town/village bypasses are good) and for example Dual the likes of the A15. AND Fill the god-dam Potholes!, not by patching, but proper resurfacing.!

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
From talking to colleagues, seems to me that the people who think smart motorways are a good idea, all have railway season tickets...
Go figure.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think the M42 is ok. It was one of the first and the refuges are very close together. On the other hand I've recently used the M6 between Stoke and Manchester and that was potentially lethal with refuges over a mile apart.

OP
OP
romany

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
From Highways England own website....

View attachment 358076
Anyone volunteering to walk three quarters of a mile to an sos phone we will have a whip around for the funeral and the coroner will call it death by misadventure so as not to upset the government

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Anyone volunteering to walk three quarters of a mile to an sos phone we will have a whip around for the funeral and the coroner will call it death by misadventure so as not to upset the government

Besides, it's not safe for the public to walk 3/4 mile, adjacent to a live carriageway, to reach a refuge emergency phone. They don't need to. But have the travelling public been told ??? The emergency phones are intended for use by those drivers whose vehicle has a problem but are able to reach the next refuge.

The Highways Agency cameras should/will pick up any broken down vehicle and expect the occupants to shelter behind the safety barrier until the emergency services arrive.

The critical risk is between when the broken down vehicle stops and the time it takes for the occupants to get out and transfer to a safe place behind a safety barrier. During this high risk period they could get rear-ended but hopefully by putting on hazard lights this risk is mitigated.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Besides, it's not safe for the public to walk 3/4 mile, adjacent to a live carriageway, to reach a refuge emergency phone. They don't need to. But have the travelling public been told ??? The emergency phones are intended for use by those drivers whose vehicle has a problem but are able to reach the next refuge.

The Highways Agency cameras should/will pick up any broken down vehicle and expect the occupants to shelter behind the safety barrier until the emergency services arrive.

The critical risk is between when the broken down vehicle stops and the time it takes for the occupants to get out and transfer to a safe place behind a safety barrier. During this high risk period they could get rear-ended but hopefully by putting on hazard lights this risk is mitigated.
Acording to the T-V quote this morning, It takes up to 17 min, for a "breakdown" to be noticed by the camera "observers", to close the lane reduce the speed sign`s and get the Traffic vehicles informed and mobilised. Sooooo; in the words Of "Dirty Harry", "Are you feeling lucky?".

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Acording to the T-V quote this morning, It takes up to 17 min, for a "breakdown" to be noticed by the camera "observers", to close the lane reduce the speed sign`s and get the Traffic vehicles informed and mobilised. Sooooo; in the words Of "Dirty Harry", "Are you feeling lucky?".

I would imagine the cameras are programmed to detect stationary vehicles without human intervention and inform the duty personnel to review the situation and act accordingly.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
I would imagine the cameras are programmed to detect stationary vehicles without human intervention and inform the duty personnel to review the situation and act accordingly.

first rule for Safety NEVER ASSUME. sorry not really shouting, just highlighting.

However that applies to virtually everything!

whilst unhappy with no hard shoulder, remember the old days sat for hours on the M6 J11 - J4. Ditto M4/M5?M32 junctions at Bristol, ditto M4 in Newport. Not smart but the speed cams (hated things) stop the numpties from causing chaos & stop/start trafic.

one comment vis previous posts ""there is no slow lane"" there are ""overtaking lanes""

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
That was one of the things that came up. It is not Automated, Only very few of the latest sections can in fact do that. ALL the older sections have only Human observers. Each has to monitor a bank of camera`s. IF one operator goes "pee pee" the other have to cover. Back "when" you waited for a "cruising" patrol car, who then relayed it to his Station!, whenever the phones went down (frequently)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
to shelter behind the safety barrier until the emergency services arrive.
I think that on parts of the M6 round Birmingham, the other side of the safety barrier is a sheer drop onto the carriageway below.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
The government was told that smart motorways would result in more fatalities by the police when they were first considered many years ago. They decided that the projected increase was acceptable balanced against the increased traffic capacity and ease of widening :(

May I ask the source of this information please?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
May be this is why they closed the hard shoulders haha.
If you look closely he isn't " on the hard shoulder" but past it probably on a " police vehiclesonly" pull in or an exit gateway. I changed a core plug on a police vehicles only ramp year before last & they even drove past, so the wife said, & never even stopped.
Sorry, but they are not that frequent on the M1 in Derbyshire and South Yorkshire
But "here"where I live in "Spain" they are 500m apart in the busy sections.:giggle::giggle: & that is as far apart as they should ever be in the Uk which has more lanes , & is far busier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back