A46 accident (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
And isn’t Spain just about to ban warning triangles, going instead for a yellow roof mounted flashing light.
Not ban them yet. From 1st July the V16 flashing led emergency light is allowed to be used . As are triangles. for a period of 5 years. As from 1st January 2026 triangles are banned. The V16 is magnetic & homologated & can be activated just by placing on roof of vehicle which also activates a geo locater that gives your position directly to Trafíco. Complete opposite of the UK where you get out ,here this is to stop people being mown down placing the triangles at 50 & 200m behind the vehicle.
as a serious point, is there any merit in having orange flashing strobes (as in as you see on slow loads etc) that are more visible than just blinking indicators for a situation like this?
As above these are led , stroboscopic & can be seen for miles.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It does look like a snail in a badly pointed wall because the angle of the photo makes the rest of the object look like shading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Not ban them yet. From 1st July the V16 flashing led emergency light is allowed to be used . As are triangles. for a period of 5 years. As from 1st January 2026 triangles are banned. The V16 is magnetic & homologated & can be activated just by placing on roof of vehicle which also activates a geo locater that gives your position directly to Trafíco. Complete opposite of the UK where you get out ,here this is to stop people being mown down placing the triangles at 50 & 200m behind the vehicle.

My recollection is that the French have banned the use of warning triangles on Autoroutes. Motorists were leaving them behind, causing more hazards. Still OK on other roads and a really good idea when placed before a blind bend.

I prefer the idea of the magnetic strobe orange emergency light. I agree that ordinary hazard warning lights are easily ignored.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
On our way to Stratford last week we saw a few breakdowns on the motorway. One was a Dad with his young son, they were sat on the barrier road side! Another they were on the verge but “downwind” of vehicle and there was no barrier. This was the M5 northbound.
I posted about not standing where your vehicle might end up if it's hit by a truck at 60mph couple of months ago after witnessing something similar to you, strangely I got a lot of irrate replies as I remember 🤨.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
blowing smoke up his ***
He thinks so, but you would think when his wife tells him it's a cigar poked into a wall he would believe it. Strange thing the brain, and this fella is no ones fool. He was 2IC at Camp Bastion for a while back in the day.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi There - I picked up a battery box thing that you can set to flash red or white LEDs in an SOS pattern.
This means it changes so more likely to be seen. It also allow charging of USBs, and jump start the car.
Not bad for a few quid on Fleebay

A few years ago we spend a great afternoon waiting by the A20 for a breakdown truck. Sitting up the bank gasping for a brew with a comfortable MoHo just there was not easy but we all know it take just one nutter and it can be all over. Worth having a grab bag in the cab with water, coats, etc should you have to leave the truck on the motorway.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
one of my biggest fears is breaking down on a not so smart motorway and being taken out before you can get out , at least in a motorhome you can clamber out the passenger side easily enough

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I bought a yellow strobe light about a year ago and have not needed to use it yet, I also had fitted Tyron bands on all six wheels, it does give you a confidence that if I do have a flat or a blow out I know I will keep control and I can drive to safety at maximum 50mph.

Yes all expensive but for peace of mind its worth it

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I bought a yellow strobe light about a year ago and have not needed to use it yet, I also had fitted Tyron bands on all six wheels, it does give you a confidence that if I do have a flat or a blow out I know I will keep control and I can drive to safety at maximum 50mph.

Yes all expensive but for peace of mind its worth it
I've driven 3.5t pickup trucks towing trailers 80,000 miles a year for work 1990- 2010 then about 30,000 miles in a pickup 2010 to now

I can't remember the last time I had a puncture , never had one at speed .

It's just not something I worry about , but then my tyres don't get old , I'd think the biggest risk on a motorhome is 10 year old tyres that still have 8mm of tread so they look ok but structurally might be falling apart

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The concept of target fixation is well known, unfortunately it's not a rare occurrence.
The so called Smart motorways will and have had the same type of collision.
I have worked on the hard shoulder, in no circumstances would I work on a live running lane.
I travel along at 70mph quiet warm environment, everyone should visit a hard shoulder in safe controlled situation, then we might reconsider speed following distance and others vulnerability.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Target fixation is an attentional phenomenon observed in humans in which an individual becomes so focused on an observed object (be it a target or hazard) that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

It's just not something I worry about , but then my tyres don't get old , I'd think the biggest risk on a motorhome is 10 year old tyres that still have 8mm of tread so they look ok but structurally might be falling apart
Had one on the last Motorhome the tyre had done less than 50 miles.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Target fixation is an attentional phenomenon observed in humans in which an individual becomes so focused on an observed object (be it a target or hazard) that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object.
You see it on the rack, the rider up front gets it wrong in a corner and runs out of road, followed by the bike behind for no particular reason.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi there -
When we were looking to buy our A Class, we saw a number of models had only one door. That meant you HAD to get out onto the wrong side of the road, either in the UK or on Europe, depending on the design. A key factor for us was there had to be two door, one one each side of the vehicle.
Not something you might worry about when you are planning how things might go on a site, but very important when you have to stop on the road, let alone Motorway.

D

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Heartbreaking - looks like a much loved vintage van and horrifying how much damage! Wonder I’d the car broadsided the van as whole of front of car not just LG’s caved in .
There doesn’t look to be damage down the sides of the car that is visible and the front of the car has quite a bit of damage so I very much doubt if the car side swiped the van. Looks like front of car hit back of van to me.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There doesn’t look to be damage down the sides of the car that is visible and the front of the car has quite a bit of damage so I very much doubt if the car side swiped the van. Looks like front of car hit back of van to me.
It makes you think about crash safety in the back of a motorhome I think you're sitting in a crumple zone

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It makes you think about crash safety in the back of a motorhome I think you're sitting in a crumple zone
They’re not very strong re crashes are they. I don’t know if the hab part of motorhomes is ever tested in crash situations, maybe just the vehicle part, cab area.
I cannot understand why I see so many holding their phones to talk. My 14 year old pickup has the phone connected to the radio. Surely all newer vehicles do the same. The only reason to be holding ones phone nowadays is to deliberately break the law.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
They’re not very strong re crashes are they. I don’t know if the hab part of motorhomes is ever tested in crash situations, maybe just the vehicle part, cab area.
I cannot understand why I see so many holding their phones to talk. My 14 year old pickup has the phone connected to the radio. Surely all newer vehicles do the same. The only reason to be holding ones phone nowadays is to deliberately break the law.
I think Bailey are the only ones that I've seen do crash tests. On the phones totally agree although a few squabbling kids in the back are probably just as distracting. Maybe there ought to be a requirement to transport them in a soundproof box

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I've driven 3.5t pickup trucks towing trailers 80,000 miles a year for work 1990- 2010 then about 30,000 miles in a pickup 2010 to now

I had a blow out in my first motorhome and a very high speed blow out in a car in the fast lane of the M1.

The latter was really scary and thankfully it was only me in the car ( which is probably why I was going so fast in the first place)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I think Bailey are the only ones that I've seen do crash tests. On the phones totally agree although a few squabbling kids in the back are probably just as distracting. Maybe there ought to be a requirement to transport them in a soundproof box
I was wondering if the phone manufacturers could be made to make phones that won’t work once the ignition is turned on. Obviously initially there would be some sulking and stamping of feet but we would all very soon learn to live this. We did for the whole of history prior to mobile phones.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was wondering if the phone manufacturers could be made to make phones that won’t work once the ignition is turned on. Obviously initially there would be some sulking and stamping of feet but we would all very soon learn to live this. We did for the whole of history prior to mobile phones.
I suppose the problem is it would stop any passengers in the car using theirs.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

V16 sounds OK for metal car with low roof but what about trucks, and MH/Caravans with no ladder? As for magnetic there are many vehicles, trucks, MHs which are not ferrous and do not have very flat roofs so the buffeting from passing trucks could soon dislodge them.

Is there an alternative for such vehicles?

Would the V16 not be better placed on the road 200m before the vehicle?

Geoff

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I had a blow out in my first motorhome and a very high speed blow out in a car in the fast lane of the M1.

The latter was really scary and thankfully it was only me in the car ( which is probably why I was going so fast in the first place)
The bonnet on my R129 SL500 flew open on the A34 dual carriageway while travelling at 70mph in the outside lane. There was no hard shoulder or emergency layby. A brown trouser moment I can tell you!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back