A22 in Portugal,tolls (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
leaving seville tomorrow and heading towards Faro, but despite research I'm unable to understand the toll system for payment in Portugal. HELP, I'm also leaving Portugal on the same motorway.

Thanks as always

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
It's all here Link Removed

On the otherhand you can come of the A22 at the first exit (before charging starts ) and use the 125, still not the best or fastest road but a lot better than it was. Using the A22 you miss most of the Algarve. We have only used the A22 once since the tills started and that was in a Portuguese registered vehicle so toll paying was not too difficult.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's quite simple. After crossing the bridge from Spain into Portugal pull in to the signed "Tourist" area. Drive up to one of the machines, check it's read your registration correctly then insert a payment card (don't use a pre-paid card for this). You'll get a long bit of paper with your registration on which is valid for, I believe, a month which you should keep with your vehicle docs, or at least handy. You may be asked for it in a police check. Apparently you are supposed to do this even if you have no intention of using the tolls. You won't get charged unless the auto-tolls register your reg. number.

We usually avoid tolls but have been known to accidentally find ourselves on one; the Portuguese aren't very good at signposting the "alternative" roads! They're not expensive however.

The N125 along the Algarve is a nice run but not very fast as it goes through all the towns and villages. The surface used to be awful but has had some improvements. You can access it from the first exit after the auto-toll registration, turn right (south, towards the coast) at the end of the exit slip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
You can actually leave at the second exit, Jnctn 17,without incurring tolls and avoid driving into Vila Real de Santo Antonio but will still have the pleasure of driving along the worst section of road in Portugal.......probably!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You can actually leave at the second exit, Jnctn 17,without incurring tolls and avoid driving into Vila Real de Santo Antonio but will still have the pleasure of driving along the worst section of road in Portugal.......probably!
I quite agree we used that road last week it’s like driving on a track out on Donana! In fact the tracks are better.:eek:

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
If you return along the A22 after a month then you need to find another way to pay as the registration only lasts a month and I have not seen any registration system at the other end of the motorway. We have registered for the past years since it was put in and then used it to return 6 weeks later but never found out to pay and as we were just going out of the country that day never bothered.
Some say you go to the Post office or certain shops to pay and the shops have also said they know nothing about it so best of luck with that one.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If you return along the A22 after a month then you need to find another way to pay as the registration only lasts a month and I have not seen any registration system at the other end of the motorway. We have registered for the past years since it was put in and then used it to return 6 weeks later but never found out to pay and as we were just going out of the country that day never bothered.
Some say you go to the Post office or certain shops to pay and the shops have also said they know nothing about it so best of luck with that one.

Neither post offices nor pay-shops can handle non Portuguese vehicles, do not waste your time trying. Apart from the pay booths at the border the only way for a foreign vehicle to pay is on line. There are still many who use the motorway with UK plates without paying but the GNR seem to be taking more interest in this as other sources of fine income dry up so do it at your own risk. The system is a mess

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We used the A22 today a real effort and I’m still only HOPING things are alright.
We stopped at the credit card machine put in my card and it said remove card then it said error and there was no printout. The machine was then asking for a card so it went again all seemed well, big long printout and the machine wish me a nice trip. But as I pull away noticed an error on the printout where my vehicle registration number should be.
Pull into the parking area and walked to the police station. A friendly policeman made it clear they were not connected to company. He said my options were to go to the machine and press the intercom button but added they probably will not answer. Tried the intercom they didn’t answer. The other options he gave drive 40km to the first service and there will be a representative of the company there or drive off at the first exit an not use the toll road. I got the distinct impression he was fed up with the system, and the attitude of the company.
I then tried to call the help line number on the ticket but five minutes with the same music on hold as the intercom I gave up. So after more than 20 minutes at the entry to the motor I still didn’t have a valid ticket to use it.

Went to the first service, only found the cashier for the pumps, clearly bored as there was no one else there she rang the help line (using my phone by the way) got through straight away, after passing details from my receipt (which took an age) she got out a pen and paper, I expected her to ask for my number, but no she wrote down my number that was given to her by the help line and asked if was correct, I said yes and she said it’s all fixed. I hope so as I have document to say so.
I don’t known when the money is taken but no pending transacts are on my card yet.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Like most motorways,the N22 is boring. But if you go on the N125,as I like to do, just take extra care,especially in the wet. The accident rate is quite high. Enjoy!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Similar to our experience. We've registered on two trips and both times the UK registration plate was not recognised (two different registration numbers).

First time we entered Portugal from Spain on the A25, registered the credit card in the machine no problem, but the printed receipt did not show the reg number. So we pressed the intercom button. It was answered reasonably quickly and the woman on the other end had good English and was quite reassuring that all would be OK -- we gave her the registration number (I also suspect the people in the remote centre have a view of the camera anyway and can read the reg number and enter manually). We used the toll roads a fair bit that trip and all was correct on the credit card bill that we came home to.

The second time we entered via the A22 and the same thing happened: number plate was not read. This time when we pressed the intercom there was no response -- it was Christmas though. Just carried on with receipt in hand (showing blank reg number). On that occasion we were not intending to use the toll road anyway and left at the first exit to stay at Almada D'Ouro club -- a nice, cheap mountain-top commercial aire with a small club house that sold a bottle of beer for one euro and had a washing machine; great views and walking / mountain biking opportunities (N 37.33169, W 7.46838).

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Similar to our experience. We've registered on two trips and both times the UK registration plate was not recognised (two different registration numbers).

First time we entered Portugal from Spain on the A25, registered the credit card in the machine no problem, but the printed receipt did not show the reg number. So we pressed the intercom button. It was answered reasonably quickly and the woman on the other end had good English and was quite reassuring that all would be OK -- we gave her the registration number (I also suspect the people in the remote centre have a view of the camera anyway and can read the reg number and enter manually). We used the toll roads a fair bit that trip and all was correct on the credit card bill that we came home to.

The second time we entered via the A22 and the same thing happened: number plate was not read. This time when we pressed the intercom there was no response -- it was Christmas though. Just carried on with receipt in hand (showing blank reg number). On that occasion we were not intending to use the toll road anyway and left at the first exit to stay at Almada D'Ouro club -- a nice, cheap mountain-top commercial aire with a small club house that sold a bottle of beer for one euro and had a washing machine; great views and walking / mountain biking opportunities (N 37.33169, W 7.46838).

Now you have an idea why I avoid the automated motorways and automated charging systems like the plague, give me a human operator any day. Equally if they cannot link my credit card to any motor they may find it difficult to take my money improperly

Anne Marie O Hagan

Free Member
Jul 5, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Knaus skyti
Exp
Since March 2016
We drove down through Portugal last week. I bought 40 euro worth of cards online and can check online how much has been spent. We also drove on the via Verde, tell me, will the prepaid cards cover this or do we have to have some sort of tag to drive through them. Too late now, we did a lot of driving yesterday and I only began thinking about this today.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
As a follow up from my earilier post, its over a month since I use the road no money has been taken from my credit card.
Should I be expecting a nasty letter in the post?

Deleted User
As a follow up from my earilier post, its over a month since I use the road no money has been taken from my credit card.
Should I be expecting a nasty letter in the post?

That happened to me a few years ago, it may still be taken but if not it is their problem if you went through the correct procedure and obtained a confirmation slip, you have proof if you kept it but if not I wouldn't worry.

We drove down through Portugal last week. I bought 40 euro worth of cards online and can check online how much has been spent. We also drove on the via Verde, tell me, will the prepaid cards cover this or do we have to have some sort of tag to drive through them. Too late now, we did a lot of driving yesterday and I only began thinking about this today.

Do you mean that you went through a Via Verde lane on one of the normal toll roads with booths?

If so the cards do not cover this, a tag is needed, I wouldn't loose much sleep over it though the chances of getting stopped are slim.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Neither post offices nor pay-shops can handle non Portuguese vehicles, do not waste your time trying. Apart from the pay booths at the border the only way for a foreign vehicle to pay is on line. There are still many who use the motorway with UK plates without paying but the GNR seem to be taking more interest in this as other sources of fine income dry up so do it at your own risk. The system is a mess

You will find that they have improved their system...I had no trouble on this vist purchasing pre paid toll cards from the Post Office..after our 30 days tourist slip expired
They give you a receipt that has a tel no to ring with a code from the receipt ...you can buy a range of prices and they last a 12mth if any amount is unused ..I have also topped up online

Hope this helps

Kath

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back