Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
After many years of exile in NE Scotland, we are planning a trip down (or is that up?) to London. As I haven't driven that far south for a while I was looking for advice/suggestions as to which road to take - A1, M1 or is there another possibility that won't take forever? I know the actual driving will be much the same on either road but, having 2 dogs that will need rest stops, which road has the better service areas or opportunities to go slightly off-route to stop? BTW we are stopping off in Whitley Bay for a night so the western routes are not really an option.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I travel fairly frequently up the East side and much prefer the A1 as places to stop or pull off for a break are better and more frequent.
Edit. I often stop in the large layby at the Angel of the North's feet, large layby, good tea wagon.
Phil

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
As above. Prefer the A1. Maybe not quite as fast as M1 but much more relaxed.
Good layby near Haggerston Castle, off the road, behind trees and with a loo.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Once you get onto the A720 Edinburgh bypass I would take the A68 from there, turn off at Carfraemill and go down the A697 to join the A1 just north of Morpeth then stick to the A1. It's the route with least hills and more interesting than other routes.

Taking the A1 past Berwick will add miles to your journey. Plus if you take the A697 I can tell you of a free, serviced nightstop for vans of less that about 7.2m :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
A1. They have steadily removed lots of the big roundabouts that used to mean queues and plenty of places to pull off for a break.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
A1. Less idiots on the road, many more stopping places

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
After many years of exile in NE Scotland, we are planning a trip down (or is that up?) to London. As I haven't driven that far south for a while I was looking for advice/suggestions as to which road to take - A1, M1 or is there another possibility that won't take forever? I know the actual driving will be much the same on either road but, having 2 dogs that will need rest stops, which road has the better service areas or opportunities to go slightly off-route to stop? BTW we are stopping off in Whitley Bay for a night so the western routes are not really an option.
Junction 16 A74 Annandale Water has a nice park you can walk the dogs round.
Wetherby services A1- have a lakeside walk from where you can directly access some very good public footpaths on arable land
Scotch Corner A66/A1 has a decent amount of the green stuff for the dogs to empty themselves.
Depending on how far up North you are, there is a nice waterfall walk for the dogs at the House of Bruar on A9.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We do M74/M6/A66/A1 when crossing the border. Its the quickest if you have a lot of miles to cover as we do. Still plenty of stops for the dog(y)

But not if Phil is going to the Newcastle on Tyne area for a night :) Otherwise I would agree with you.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Interesting. I’d opt for the M1 on the basis that it has more lanes and hence the impact of losing a lane (due to a breakdown) is less. I accept that it carries more traffic but I’d still reckon it had less potential to disrupt your journey.

Ian

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We do M74/M6/A66/A1 when crossing the border. Its the quickest if you have a lot of miles to cover as we do. Still plenty of stops for the dog(y)
We do this one. A bit further but with much better roads.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Daftest thing they ever did with the A1.....remove the truck stop cafes... The proper spit and sawdust ones with a rubble carpark and pint mugs with chipped rims.
Ahhh! Nostalgia.
Today they're all sanitized little chefs and the like
Still plenty of good cafes just off the A1 if you know where they are, and most of the HGV drivers do.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Interesting. I’d opt for the M1 on the basis that it has more lanes and hence the impact of losing a lane (due to a breakdown) is less. I accept that it carries more traffic but I’d still reckon it had less potential to disrupt your journey.

Ian

The A1 is slightly shorter and less ups and downs if I recall correctly. If there is a hold up on one then the other gets busy anyway.

If coming down from Edinburgh I would not join the A1 until just north of Morpeth (come down the A697 and join the A1 after the garden centre which has an overflow carpark for motorhomes, dog walking etc) or if doing the A68/A696 just after the airport. My own preference is for the A697 as it is a better road, less ups and downs and less remote if you need help. Distance there is very little in it between A697 and A68. The A1 is a lot further round in the Scottish section as it hugs the coast.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Daftest thing they ever did with the A1.....remove the truck stop cafes... The proper spit and sawdust ones with a rubble carpark and pint mugs with chipped rims.
Ahhh! Nostalgia.
Today they're all sanitized little chefs and the like
Not quite - I offer award winning A1 Truck Stop at Colsterworth (y) or maybe Grizzly's at Sandy?

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Just to be different, you could come from Whitley Bay on the A19 and join the A1 further south near Thirsk. It saves the awful Tyne Valley bypass round Newcastle. There is the Tyne Tunnel to pay for (£1.70 I think). For me, as many others have said I prefer the A1. Nasty bottleneck round Ferrybridge but otherwise OK.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I live dead centre of A1 east and M1 to the west. I always use the A1 if going South. much better road and more places to stop off.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
A1 all day long bruv. Get in the Ol jam jar,head sarf and you’re there my son. Don’t forget your passport.
Tip: when in London,drive like a Londoner. You’ll soon pick it up.
:):LOL::ROFLMAO:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Another vote for the A1 and I travel on bits of both quite often.

I really don't like the 4 lane parts of the M1 where there's no hard shoulder. Myself and my daughter got caught in the aftermath of an accident the other week. Who ever came up with that idea was mad.

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
I prefer A1 but last time we went down the road was closed entirely with an accident, so not sure how often that happens
On a side note, I’m a regular radio 2 listener and a fairly recent topic was the demise of truck stops on it being replaced by sex shops. I wasn’t even aware of it and it did make me chuckle a bit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back