A word of caution...theft abroad! (1 Viewer)

Lucy Wire

Free Member
Mar 1, 2018
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Pretty New - 2017
Just thought I would share a tale of our recent escapades in France and Spain - this is a negative one I'm afraid.
After having taken Lucy Wire my trusty N&B 6700 Flair South to escape the imminent poor weather at the end of February we found ourselves tootling quite happily along the southern roads of France and in to Spain.
We were mostly keeping off the Autoroutes (Peage) and most obvious toll roads and after a couple of days in Benidorm (different story/thread) had decided for a little mountain peace and quiet - off to Almocita (recommended).

We were on the A7 just heading towards Almeria and decided to pull over at one of the larger fuel stops, park up and grab a spot of lunch. Had everything with us so didn't even need to open the door and put the steps down. Finished lunch and then............
A car parked behind us, in our blind spot but visible on reversing camera, a guy got out of passenger side, reasonably well dressed and approached our right hand side (we are a lefty) where my wife sits. He had a map in hand. Knocked on window, which my wife opened to speak to him. (Hindsight: mistake)

Now bear in mind we are in an N&B Flair A Class - the windows open horizontally and not vertically and the way the van is built the windows are quite low!!

Guy thrusts in full scale unfolded map and blathers on in broken English (Hindsight: He should have been talking Spanish or to Spanish people for directions?) - my wife isn't good with maps so passed the map over to me. It was quite clear that where he wanted to go was noted on the map, but also on the motorway signposts - so I couldn't understand what help he needed. After I pointed this out he grabbed the map and headed back to his car.

Under cover of the unfolded map he had reached in and stolen Sharon's handbag.

Not a cheap one I may add and also containing all her worldly possessions. Sharon had assumed that the bag being on the floor and not on display was relatively safe......... (Hindsight: after checking what could be accessed through the open window we were surprised just how vulnerable we were!)

We didn't realise the theft for a while though as Sharon didn't need anything from her bag until the next day in Almocita - when we discovered it had gone. Usual credit cards, cash, glasses, memory cards for camera, in fact Sharon is still discovering things that were in the bag...

I plan to fix either a bar across the window or possibly a Perspex lower cover to restrict access - I don't want it to look like a prison van - but needs something to stop opportunistic thefts like this.

Big lesson learned - don't open the windows unless you know who and why you are talking to someone outside.

As it was towards the end of our travels we decided to come home early - holiday a bit soured by the events.

Still waiting for insurance to finish deliberations :-(

Hopefully there are a couple of take aways in there for others.

Robin & Sharon

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sad but thefts where folk are distracted are a common ploy. He may have had an accomplice who crawled under the MH from the other side who caught the bag.
I wouldn't bother with the windows myself. Once bitten and all that. Hope everything is sorted by the insurance. Did you get a crime reference number from the police? Insurance companies are likely to want one.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Sorry to hear that, hope it was just an inconvenience and not any sentimental items in the bag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the info
guys and really sorry that you had to go through this

We were in France heading home
and parked on an aire
a French lady and her daughter and grand child had been making a fuss of our dog.
They drove off in their car and we found a handbag where they had parked.
In the bag was phone purse money credit cards
passport
We managed to open her phone and Sue was busy writing down in French the things she wanted to say
when she rang the last number to explain we had found the bag
Just as she was dialling it the car returned
A very very grateful and releived lady broke down in tears on us

OP
OP
Lucy Wire

Lucy Wire

Free Member
Mar 1, 2018
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Pretty New - 2017
Sadly the bag contained, according to Sharon, her entire world! We had camera digital cards with a lot of photos not yet backed up, a necklace that needed repairing, the bag alone was over GBP500 and the usual petty cash, credit cards, driving licence etc - thankfully no house or car keys for UK!. Reported to the Spanish police for their crime report - very efficient and helpful. They said it was 'unusual', never happened etc, however the practiced ease in which the chap wrote down the details leads me to think otherwise!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sorry to hear of your 'experience' .. not nice .. and can be quite upsetting ..

from the Foreign Office
Don’t let thieves drive you to distraction..

watch video

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Sadly the bag contained, according to Sharon, her entire world! We had camera digital cards with a lot of photos not yet backed up, a necklace that needed repairing, the bag alone was over GBP500 and the usual petty cash, credit cards, driving licence etc - thankfully no house or car keys for UK!. Reported to the Spanish police for their crime report - very efficient and helpful. They said it was 'unusual', never happened etc, however the practiced ease in which the chap wrote down the details leads me to think otherwise!

A couple of years ago, on the A75 in France, we stopped at an aire and met a solo lady, in a motorhome. She had just suffered a similar fate with a man and his map. Stole her bag in the same way.

OP
OP
Lucy Wire

Lucy Wire

Free Member
Mar 1, 2018
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Pretty New - 2017
Seems to be a common tactic. Spanish police said it was likely Moroccans - scum whichever nationality. And part of this is a natural tendency to let your guard down a little whilst on holiday. A lesson learned in any case and it wont stop me from my travels for sure, though Sharon is understandably a little less keen than she was.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I feel so sorry for Sharon. My bag too contains my life. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Seems to be a common tactic. Spanish police said it was likely Moroccans - scum whichever nationality. And part of this is a natural tendency to let your guard down a little whilst on holiday. A lesson learned in any case and it wont stop me from my travels for sure, though Sharon is understandably a little less keen than she was.
Sorry to hear of your news don’t let the scrotes curtail your holidays in a the future.( perhaps a cheaper bag for holidays!)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear of your news don’t let the scrotes curtail your holidays in a the future.( perhaps a cheaper bag for holidays!)
Why should Sharon use a cheaper bag, I think, if caught, this scum ought to have their hands chopped off so they can't take anything else which doesn't belong to them. :mad:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your plight. Such a shame when these things happen. They tried it with us 3 times in 2 weeks (posted on here). Never fell for it. Also had it on the A7 near Ports De Soliel. Young "Solo" woman with a Map. We had friends with us. When I sent the woman packing, my friends asked why I was so rude. I said watch what she does next and see her male accomplices with her.

But, the same thing happens here in the UK. Often on our Local ASDA and Tesco Supermarkets.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You're vulnerable anywhere a lot of tourists/holidaymakers go, I'm afraid. These are career criminals and not normally locals. The map scenario is an old one, so is the smoking paper thrown under a vehicle and many more inventive distraction ploys. Don't stop for anyone or open windows get out of vehicles etc.

Hopefully your insurance may cover your financial losses. The personal items are probably lost for ever.

Keep your wits about you when travelling anywhere.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm sure there are similar scams happening to tourists in the UK especially tourists in London good to make others aware of whats happened might make someone else less likely to have the same problem.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
if they cleaned our whole van out i dought they would find as much as the bag was worth.

Why should Sharon use a cheaper bag, I think, if caught, this scum ought to have their hands chopped off so they can't take anything else which doesn't belong to them. :mad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we had it tried on us in the uk. I was in a chip shop ordering our dinner and Brenda was sat in the passenger seat of the van we had at the time waiting. a man approached and started getting aggressive, which made Brenda shuffle across the seat. the man then reached in the open window.......big mistake. he nearly lost his arm as a 30kg staffie with huge teeth instantly defended his mum. he ran to his car and immediately left without another word. hope it made the scumbag fill his pants and regret his actions

Last edited:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
While this is a good example of what happen... surely the lesson here is 'don't carry your world in something you can lose without noticing'. My other half has £15 handbags.. they don't attract attention.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It shouldn't make a difference if you have a posh bag or not the same as it shouldn't make a difference if you leave valuables on display in nyour car or walk around wearing loads of gold but in the real world it does

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Sorry to hear that your bag was stolen. I had one of mine stolen some years ago in a shop in the UK and I still remember how upsetting it was. I too am one who keeps everything in my bag and consequently they’re huge. I just can’t get used to being minimalist when it comes to bags though it obviously would make more sense.

Treat yourself to a really nice one when you get the insurance money through! :)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Robin and Sharon

Sorry for your traumatic experience and for your loss, especially the items which cannot be replaced.

We have learned some things from what you posted.

Firstly we have an Arto and the windows are probably at the same height as your Flair we could be equally vunerable, if we had anything within reach.

Secondly we have reviewed where we normally keep things - Basia's handbag is on the sofa but covered by cushions; the phone would normally be in its satnav bracket in the middle of the dash, so out of reach. Nothing else of value in the cab area, except my wallet which is stowed under my big arse.

When we go out from the MH Basia takes a small bag with cigarettes, sunglasses etc. but the phone is in there, as it is a Samsung S5 and a bit big for a pocket. However the bag is tucked under her arm.

We do lock the hab(only) door if we feel vulnerable so maybe will do it more often.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Geoff and Basia.

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
Sorry to hear what happened to you both I think it's good of you to let us all know and make us aware how easy these things can happen.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Thanks for reminding us of these low life people out there. Sorry to hear of your trauma. I know its very upsetting. Had something similar happen to me in Turkey. Before I had a Motor Home. 4 guys posing as police. they had ID's everything. I did the opposite to you. I stayed a couple of extra days in the hope I would come across these ba-terds and I would have beaten the crap out of them.
Hope the insurance pays up soon so you can move on.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Probably too late now as you will have moved on but, if you didn't do so at the time, I would go back and search around the immediate area.
What is valuable and irreplaceable to you will be "rubbish" to them. The first thing they will do is to get rid of everything that can be traced back to you should they be stopped. So you might get lucky. It may of course be impractical to search if you are on a busy road etc but a return to the "scene" may also help you come to terms with it.
A few weeks ago we were at Puerta de Mazarron and I tried to make all the others aware that there were thefts from handbags at the market there. When we walked round the market, sure enough our friend had her purse stolen from her handbag. All four of us immediately looked around the area for the discarded purse to no avail so went to the Guardia Civil station in town to report the theft. As our friend was waiting at the Station, an elderly Spanish man, walked in and handed in her purse, saying that he had seen it underneath a vegetable stall. Everything was in the purse except for the cash (about €25 ) and they had even missed 4 x €50 notes she had folded tight and tucked into a small pocket hidden in the purse.
The Elderly gent refused any reward!

Sorry it happened to you(y)

Quick edit, I don't suppose your reversing camera is capable of recording?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back