maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
We have a overcab bunk and when we travel back to UK we found even with screens in cab windows and heating on low it was cold (possible because it's always raining!) so we fitted some crown floor insulation (18mm) under the mattress , this also helped to reduce condensation

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a overcab bunk and when we travel back to UK we found even with screens in cab windows and heating on low it was cold (possible because it's always raining!) so we fitted some crown floor insulation (18mm) under the mattress , this also helped to reduce condensation
A bit like the old saying about if you have 4 blankets, sleep on top of three of them and have one on top. On my cycling travels I have a down filled self-inflating sleeping mattress and it is a big improvement on the standard self inflating mattress without a down filling I had before.

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
I have bought a 50mm memory foam mattress topper, blooming heck it just radiates your body heat and you really feel the benefit both heat and comfort wise, just storing the bugger is awkward
pete

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I too bought a thick (about 4 inch) memory foam topper for my overcab bed,,,,,, mmmmm really warm and scrummy.
However, I now have a nose like Henry Cooper after a midnight sneeze. :doh:

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
electric blanket.. (y)

And for us, even over the engine I still like it No 6 while brushing my teeth, and then to No1 for 9 hours on timer (even then still usually wake up after it has switched off zzzzzzxx)

Best thing we bought

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
If anything we have the opposite problem. It's warm up top.
If we close the curtains off to the hab it stops the Webasto throwing the heat up there as much. Ours does have a large Luton bubble though. With windows to the front and both sides. In the summer with All the windows open and fly screens up, you get a lovely breeze too. It will be strange sleeping at floor level once Ralphs finished the pvc.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Sleeping bag is the answer, We have military arctic down bags and they are really warm as you have to keep them open a bit or boil to death. Fantastic value ex MOD and unissued, so I got some of my tax money back there.
The problem I feel most upset about is the bed is lumpy and a pain to set up even with a memory foam topper, I am now considering buying a new van with a drop down bed to get over it.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!

Can I ask a question? Is the floor insulation 'breathable'? With a foam mattress especially you often get condensation (from perspiration and breathing whilst in bed, and we don't want to stop either of those happening LOL) forming under it where it touches any hard surface.

Plus - you can get really really brilliant insulation underneath any, but esp foam mattresses by placing a thickish layer of newspaper under the mattress! In an old caravan, sited somewhere from April to Oct for years and slept in 3 or 4 nights a week, I used to beg pre-read 2 or 3 Sunday Times from a neighbour who took it regularly, and lay them under the mattress! (well actually they were seat and back cushions from a 4 seater dinette, so they were stood up, which is what you do when you store vans) Chucked away every Oct and renewed every April.

If it's a slatted base in an overcab without an underneath cover when lifted - so the Times would be visible when the cab was in use - pull the bed down, lay a sheet over the slats, paper on top, fold the loose edges over the paper, add the mattress. Costs nowt.

OP
OP
maxine and jo

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
Hi Sedge the crown floor insulation is a polystyrene building slab that go's under soiled floor's in house building
because of it thermal use it form's a barrier between the mattress and the cab

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we put a good sleeping bag down first. that helps , I did try putting the wife in first Tootles but she is no help . she takes to long to warm up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back