Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Having visited Mull in May like most visitors to the island we ended up in Tobermory and stayed at Tobermory Campsite just outside the town.

We liked Tobermory but were surprised to find that there was nothing made of the Balamory connection (Tobermory is where the children's TV programme Balamory was filmed for you without grandchildren or toddlers of your own) as we wanted to get some souvenirs for our grandchildren. Indeed there seemed to be no mention at all of Balamory which made us think that the town was missing out on a great promotional opportunity.

With a lot of 'digging' we eventually found a small shop with some Balamory merchandise and having purchased a couple of things we enquired as to the paucity of such merchandise and lack of promotion of the Balamory connection.

Here is what we were told.

The BBC came along in 2002 - 2005 and filmed some outside scenes for a few weeks. They released associated merchandise for sale which local shops could stock. However some years ago the BBC decided that they would no longer licence such products so the supply dwindled and no more was available. The name Balamory is of course copyright and the BBBC will not sell licences for its use.

So now that most of the old merchandise is sold and with the fact that the BBC will not licence any further use of the Balamory brand, that's it!

I know that our grandchildren would love to visit 'Balamory' so I'm sure that there are thousands of others who would like to.

The shop that still has some merchandise available is right at the end by the harbour but unfortunately I can't remember its name.

KH
P1040191 copy.jpg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
"What's the story in Balamory, would'nt you like to know" :)

You can tell what I/my grandkids watched....

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
PS... The shop was called "pockets and sweets" I think, well in the TV prog it was.. lol

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've not been yet but it is on my places to visit list. A few friends had told me not to expect lots of hype. It's a shame the bbc are so strict with their licence as it could create so much money for the local community. Bloody minded jobsworth springs to mind!

Lovely photo by the way

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Another nice thing about Tobermory is that they will let you stay overnight in the car park and there are showers and washing machines as well. When we mentioned the "no camping" signs to the local tourist board information point (also in the car park) they just said "Och, ignore the blessed thing".

The Tincas

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We had a Guest House in Oban when the show was being shown. It is correct that the BBC Would not grant licences for shops to sell merchandise. One young girl was so upset when the family returned, I went in to town, bought a white T shirt and coloured felt pens and did my own version of a Balamory shirt. It was worth it just to stop her crying, also lovely to see her smile.
The BBC were so short sighted with regards to making money from the merchandise, this nonsense has been going on for years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back