A view from a 7.5 ton Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Hi ,m Andy and i have a Niesmann +Bishoff Clouliner on a MAN chassis that was born April 2003. Bought for 42K 6 years ago, having covered 85 Thousand K,s.
Like most purchases of this nature there were compromises,I should mention at this point for 20 years of my later working life I was Special products Manager at MAN.
So the Euro 3 engine and Manual gearbox were discarded for a Euro 5 and an Allusion 6 speed auto.the rest of the habitation electrics were brought up to 21st century spec, I enjoy reading the many many threads on B2B charging with a slight smile, On this mine is 24 volt chassis and 12 volt leisure, the solution in 2003 was to fit an additional alternator now the 24 volt Alt. supplies bothe sets via Stirling.
Fully freighted with shoes and "her" clothes , she weighs off at 7,400 Kg,s It returns 25MPG at 100KPH. average !
We use her to extend the summer, {two trips a year} either side of the 90 days that make up theUK best bits,
Next trip Spain via Portsmouth Santander, Portsmouth is 2 hours uk driving closer to me, and I know this has generated many discussions.
For me and the Clou (9meter by 4meter) the Brittany Ferry at 750GBP is cheaper that the drive across France.
Back to compromises for us The shower must full size, the bed must be UK king size, the toilet, well i don't walk across the back garden every morning so I'm not doing it in the Clou.
I,am a HGV Lience holder, and have been driving across Europe and the middle east, for many of my early years, paper work , passports, boarder controls, are an absolute doddle now, granted things have got a little more complicated since 1 Jan 2021, and we now have to walk around with masks on.but think of this at one boarder I was arrested an put in jail for the night for having a copy of the sun news paper.! Tyres is an interesting one, If i want to use it in Europe in the winter months any NEW tyre must carry the snowflake symbol, Nobody checks unless you have an accident of some kind then its just another conviction they have on you.
I manage a european race team for over 11 years and the mobile home of choice was a yank, basically for space and facilities inside.
The shape and the size of your MH is the best for you, or you wouldn't have chosen it , Right ? The Licence, thats a memorable set of threads, please remember the medical is to make sure your alright to drive with the main objective to other road users. In my view The Great DVLA should reclassify MH with an appropriate diving licence category, accompanied and achieve with a driving test, Not just a medical, this alone would achieve the ability to handle the MH for the other road users,Any that me and my MH if anybody has any questions or want any further info pleas don't hesitate to ask. Andy

Attachments

• IMG_3301.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 166
OP
OP
AndyVW
Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
which Iveco ... eng ? weight ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You ve shown them what the back looks like Andy. The front looks almost as nice as my Avatar. 25mpg is impressive though, best Ive got is 18mpg, but then as you know mine's a 6.9 litre dinosaur.

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi ,m Andy and i have a Niesmann +Bishoff Clouliner on a MAN chassis that was born April 2003. Bought for 42K 6 years ago, having covered 85 Thousand K,s.
Like most purchases of this nature there were compromises,I should mention at this point for 20 years of my later working life I was Special products Manager at MAN.
So the Euro 3 engine and Manual gearbox were discarded for a Euro 5 and an Allusion 6 speed auto.the rest of the habitation electrics were brought up to 21st century spec, I enjoy reading the many many threads on B2B charging with a slight smile, On this mine is 24 volt chassis and 12 volt leisure, the solution in 2003 was to fit an additional alternator now the 24 volt Alt. supplies bothe sets via Stirling.
Fully freighted with shoes and "her" clothes , she weighs off at 7,400 Kg,s It returns 25MPG at 100KPH. average !
We use her to extend the summer, {two trips a year} either side of the 90 days that make up theUK best bits,
Next trip Spain via Portsmouth Santander, Portsmouth is 2 hours uk driving closer to me, and I know this has generated many discussions.
For me and the Clou (9meter by 4meter) the Brittany Ferry at 750GBP is cheaper that the drive across France.
Back to compromises for us The shower must full size, the bed must be UK king size, the toilet, well i don't walk across the back garden every morning so I'm not doing it in the Clou.
I,am a HGV Lience holder, and have been driving across Europe and the middle east, for many of my early years, paper work , passports, boarder controls, are an absolute doddle now, granted things have got a little more complicated since 1 Jan 2021, and we now have to walk around with masks on.but think of this at one boarder I was arrested an put in jail for the night for having a copy of the sun news paper.! Tyres is an interesting one, If i want to use it in Europe in the winter months any NEW tyre must carry the snowflake symbol, Nobody checks unless you have an accident of some kind then its just another conviction they have on you.
I manage a european race team for over 11 years and the mobile home of choice was a yank, basically for space and facilities inside.
The shape and the size of your MH is the best for you, or you wouldn't have chosen it , Right ? The Licence, thats a memorable set of threads, please remember the medical is to make sure your alright to drive with the main objective to other road users. In my view The Great DVLA should reclassify MH with an appropriate diving licence category, accompanied and achieve with a driving test, Not just a medical, this alone would achieve the ability to handle the MH for the other road users,Any that me and my MH if anybody has any questions or want any further info pleas don't hesitate to ask. Andy
Hi Andy,
I think the MAN chassis is the best option, and if it returns 25 mpg, that's a bonus.
I also worked for MAN at Swindon (head office) for a few years, then for a MAN dealership for 13 years, now retired (4 years) and have an American rv 7500 kgs, and get away as often as we can, but my rv has a thirsty 8.1 chevy V8, petrol and lpg, also going to Spain for a month in May, Portsmouth-Bilbao, with a days drive over Spain to Calpe

OP
OP
AndyVW
Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Any one who has presented a race car to a scrutener will tell you "give them something to find" it sort of makes them feel important.
So page three of the Sun had the same affect, at border controls.
Hi 'intokenny" both well thank you.Hi 'Popty" small world my office was on the second floor of clearwater house, From there every Fire engine red MAN I supplied.
Fire engines are an interesting concept as they like MH spend all there life loaded, Interestingly now they will only load to 90% of max.
A thought for motorhomes.
For those interested in the B2B solution with 24volt chassis and 12 volt Leisure pi below
and for Jon The Front

Attachments

• IMG_4892.jpg
    IMG_4892.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3791.jpg
    IMG_3791.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
AndyVW
Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
There are many threads on suspension, tyres,wheels, brakes and the weight they can carry.
From the 7.5 ton MAN point of view, there are three members to its family 12 ton , 10 ton and of course the 7.5.
they are, to all tence and proposes the same truck, Eng, Transmission, Chassis,Brakes, the only difference are springs and wheels and tyres.
The 12 & 10 having the same springs, which can be either air or parabolic, with larger capacity tyres and wider rims on the 12 ton.
Now at 7.5 ton, when the chassis was intended for a motorhome use, it had 10 springs either air or parabolic, and the 10 ton tyres on wider rims. usually with Alcoa alloy rims to offset the heavier springs. Why you say ? because its going to sit with 80 to 90% of its weight all the time.
The benefit from a driving point of view, it behaves like it only 3/4 loaded.
The nitty gritty, of mine is I have 1300kgs to play with.
On a final note on the chassis, you will note the driver always sits in front of the front axel, so not all A classes behave the same, with the front axel set back giving it a shorter wheelbase the benefits are strickenly different to a front wheel drive or even a rear wheel drive van based chassis, for manoverability.

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Any one who has presented a race car to a scrutener will tell you "give them something to find" it sort of makes them feel important.
So page three of the Sun had the same affect, at border controls.
Hi 'intokenny" both well thank you.Hi 'Popty" small world my office was on the second floor of clearwater house, From there every Fire engine red MAN I supplied.
Fire engines are an interesting concept as they like MH spend all there life loaded, Interestingly now they will only load to 90% of max.
A thought for motorhomes.
For those interested in the B2B solution with 24volt chassis and 12 volt Leisure pi below
and for Jon The Front
Hi, in that case you must be Andy Young, lm Gordon Gray, started in technical services with Carl Firstbrook and then went over to training, lm glad we moved up from a moho to an American RV, as we needed a bit more space and now love the freedom that the rv gives us, looking forward to driving from Bilbao across Spain to Calpe for a month next May, Covid-19 permitting, take care hope to see you around sometime, we are also with the RVOC

OP
OP
AndyVW
Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
I,m Not a fan of Social Media, But , you got to love Funsters, I've met some fantastic characters, made new friends, and as it would appear some old colleagues>
Yes i remember you guys. I came back from Spain in Oct, on Brittanys Galicia, and i am booked on it again for January, I'm going to the Canaries, Never seen a volcano up close.!

If your going Portsmouth Bilbao, it will be the new sister to Galicia, called Salamanca, Some on hear don't like, it but i find it serves a purpose very well,
Wow , i can't believe that, Funsters strikes again.
Stay safe and enjoy your trip.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There are many threads on suspension, tyres,wheels, brakes and the weight they can carry.
From the 7.5 ton MAN point of view, there are three members to its family 12 ton , 10 ton and of course the 7.5.
they are, to all tence and proposes the same truck, Eng, Transmission, Chassis,Brakes, the only difference are springs and wheels and tyres.
The 12 & 10 having the same springs, which can be either air or parabolic, with larger capacity tyres and wider rims on the 12 ton.
Now at 7.5 ton, when the chassis was intended for a motorhome use, it had 10 springs either air or parabolic, and the 10 ton tyres on wider rims. usually with Alcoa alloy rims to offset the heavier springs. Why you say ? because its going to sit with 80 to 90% of its weight all the time.
The benefit from a driving point of view, it behaves like it only 3/4 loaded.
The nitty gritty, of mine is I have 1300kgs to play with.
On a final note on the chassis, you will note the driver always sits in front of the front axel, so not all A classes behave the same, with the front axel set back giving it a shorter wheelbase the benefits are strickenly different to a front wheel drive or even a rear wheel drive van based chassis, for manoverability.
I still don't understand why yours is so light, OK I have a heavier engine but I'm guessing my manual transmission is probably lighter than your Allison and mine weighed in at 8400kgs without everything in it.

OP
OP
AndyVW
Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
thanks for the calculations
using your figures fuel cost to cross France is 213GBP at current rate.
plus Ferry/Tunnel
plus stops/and sustenance
plus extra two hours drive for me to Dover.

I'm sure you can fill in these.
750 GBP is a return price so don't forget to x2 for the above.

I repeat a no brainer

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
thanks for the calculations
using your figures fuel cost to cross France is 213GBP at current rate.
plus Ferry/Tunnel
plus stops/and sustenance
plus extra two hours drive for me to Dover.

I'm sure you can fill in these.
750 GBP is a return price so don't forget to x2 for the above.

I repeat a no brainer
You did well to get a return at that price.

OP
OP
AndyVW
Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Jon
i,ve done a bit of digging
rear axel and rear air suspension adds 225Kgs
the front air suspension i can't get a figure for as its Bus chassis
on an MAN tractor it adds 300 Kgs !!!!
then because its air front and back make the frame 8.mm instead of 7mm plus extra flinching.

The 6.9 is 690Kg
the 4.6 510 Kgs

it starts to add you will extra air tanks for front and rear suspension
a bigger radiator and intercooler.
added to that 7.5 ton truck was never offered with full air suspension because weighed more than 5 ton
it was only offered at 10 ton and 12 ton.
I think i said in all my years i have never seen a 7.5 ton full air truck. only a bus.

Then of course there the bedroom mirror..... you naughty boy !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back