Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Are you working for this company by any chance....?!
I have never worked with ANY a-frame company, I’ve never built them either but, as a trailer manufacturer for 30ish years, and as I delivered training to the towing industry, allied to the fact that DfT insist TOADS have to comply with trailer regs, it should be no surprise that I know more than a little about them.

I make no apology for that, it is what it is.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
'Catastrophic' ?.............. One accident, 10 year old A frame, nobody injured?

....................Not even close!

............Much ado about nothing

..............One man's crusade...........
Maybe you’d think a little differently if it were you or yours that were confronted with a runaway car…. Just saying!

Why is folk won’t/can’t get their heads round the fact that this installation was illegal from the outset? The owner had no idea, until the thing failed and they came to depend on it.
It let them down, badly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
It must be so frustrating to have all of the answers, know everyone is wrong, know that the Government Web site is wrong yet despite knowing all of this the damn things keep working!
Most will work, but some don’t!
It’s those we need to be concerned about….

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Maybe you’d think a little differently if it were you or yours that were confronted with a runaway car…. Just saying!

Why is folk won’t/can’t get their heads round the fact that this installation was illegal from the outset? The owner had no idea, until the thing failed and they came to depend on it.
It let them down, badly.

Nobody was confronted by a runaway car.....

Nobody injured, you clearly have an agenda............ find something that is a real (and proven) danger to campaign about

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
Totally irrelevant post. How many here pull a Jeep Wrangler or a Kia Sportage?
What they do in the States, is not at all relevant in the U.K. although it has to be said, they do have the better electronic activated systems!

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp

Nobody injured, you clearly have an agenda............ find something that is a real (and proven) danger to campaign about
You haven’t seen the witness statements, the owner said folk ran for their lives…. I said myself that no-one was injured! Luckily, it was a Sunday, the nearby school wasn’t open….. The other side of that fence BTW is a railway line…. Things could have been a LOT worse…. 😢
D65B933F-17AF-404E-B58C-331FB5F38B1A.jpeg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Totally irrelevant post. How many here pull a Jeep Wrangler or a Kia Sportage?
What they do in the States, is not at all relevant in the U.K. although it has to be said, they do have the better electronic activated systems!
I tow a 4x4 and I posted it to show how huge the A Frame market in the States is.

Also, given the America willingness to sue each other, if A-Frames were any where near as dangerous as you keep telling us, the A-Frame manufacturers would have been out of business years ago

Instead there are hundreds of thousands of A-Framed cars towed in the States, but I agree it doesn’t suit your narrative so you’d consider my post irrelevant 👍🏻

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
Of course the law in the UK is different to the states

So why post irrelevant stuff from the States? And the page you refer to isn’t the law, it’s an advice page, written by the IVS division of the DfT.

The relevant law is the Road Vehicles (construction & use) regulations 1986 [and amendments] and European Directive 98/12EC.

Google and read…. It’s around 500 pages in total.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
I tow a 4x4 and I posted it to show how huge the A Frame market in the States is.

Also, given the America willingness to sue each other, if A-Frames were any where near as dangerous as you keep telling us, the A-Frame manufacturers would have been out of business years ago

Instead there are hundreds of thousands of A-Framed cars towed in the States, but I agree it doesn’t suit your narrative so you’d consider my post irrelevant 👍🏻
Here’s one from across the pond….
BB6979EE-4717-4D87-9018-8BDA31AB199F.jpeg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So why post irrelevant stuff from the States? And the page you refer to isn’t the law, it’s an advice page, written by the IVS division of the DfT.

The relevant law is the Road Vehicles (construction & use) regulations 1986 [and amendments] and European Directive 98/12EC.

Google and read…. It’s around 500 pages in total.
i assume you told the Government that their Website is wrong?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
You haven’t seen the witness statements, the owner said folk ran for their lives…. I said myself that no-one was injured! Luckily, it was a Sunday, the nearby school wasn’t open….. The other side of that fence BTW is a railway line…. Things could have been a LOT worse…. 😢
View attachment 559625

You only quote the same SINGLE incident

Nobody injured..............so many 'what ifs'................ NOBODY INJURED !!

So much more wrong in the World...................... get some perspective!

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
i assume you told the Government that their Website is wrong?
I am in contact with the Department for Transport. I’m not sure which is harder to deal with, them or this forum, the DfT stick their heads in the sand too..

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp

Nobody injured..............so many 'what ifs'................ NOBODY INJURED !!

The system was illegal, that doesn’t bother you?

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp

WHAT IF’ this had been legal? We wouldn’t be having this discussion!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
'Catastrophic' ?.............. One accident, 10 year old A frame, nobody injured?

....................Not even close!

............Much ado about nothing

..............One man's crusade...........
That's got to be one of the best jokes you've ever come up with :LOL: .. remind me of which bank you hate???? :rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Looks like you need to go to Specsavers if you can't see the photo. Would you have been happier if someone had been squished?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Looks like you need to go to Specsavers if you can't see the photo. Would you have been happier if someone had been squished?

Has anyone EVER been injured by a runaway A frame?....................

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Has anyone EVER been injured by a runaway A frame?....................
I dunno ... why don't you find out for yourself seeing as you seem so interested ...

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I am in contact with the Department for Transport. I’m not sure which is harder to deal with, them or this forum, the DfT stick their heads in the sand too..
Make sure you tell them that the Government have got it wrong as well on their web site? (y)

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
Still thinking of A framing it to Spain this year.

Its all legal isn’t it?
No, it isn’t.
That doesn’t mean you’ll get nicked, many do it each year and have no issue, BUT, it’s not legal .
Be aware, there is a risk.

Spain.

Para 8 refers to A-Frame towing.

The Spanish traffic law is absolutely specific.

It ain't a grey area here.

It has always been (I say always, but maybe only for the last, say, 50 years) illegal to tow one road vehicle with any other road vehicle on any public road anywhere in Spain.

For anyone needing really serious assistance in nodding off, here's the actual definitive Instructions on that law, together with other Spanish laws as they affect motorhomes being used on Spanish roads, issued in 2008 to all Police forces across the country by the Spanish equivalent of the UK Transport Minister:

Instrucción 08/V-74

Asunto: Autocaravanas

Instrucción 08/V-74

El constante crecimiento que ha experimentado en los últimos años el movimiento del autocaravanismo en

España y la falta de una regulación específica de algunos aspectos relacionados con esta actividad, motivaron la

aprobación en el Pleno del Senado de una Moción instando al Gobierno a tomar medidas necesarias para apoyar

el desarrollo de ésta*práctica y regular el uso de las autocaravanas.

Por este motivo, la Dirección General de Tráfico ha entendido necesario recopilar e interpretar en un único

documento todos aquellos aspectos normativos que, relacionados con el autocaravanismo, se recogen en la

legislación sobre tráfico y vehículos a motor.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
No, it isn’t.
That doesn’t mean you’ll get nicked, many do it each year and have no issue, BUT, it’s not legal .
Be aware, there is a risk.

Spain.

Para 8 refers to A-Frame towing.

The Spanish traffic law is absolutely specific.

It ain't a grey area here.

It has always been (I say always, but maybe only for the last, say, 50 years) illegal to tow one road vehicle with any other road vehicle on any public road anywhere in Spain.

For anyone needing really serious assistance in nodding off, here's the actual definitive Instructions on that law, together with other Spanish laws as they affect motorhomes being used on Spanish roads, issued in 2008 to all Police forces across the country by the Spanish equivalent of the UK Transport Minister:

Instrucción 08/V-74

Asunto: Autocaravanas

Instrucción 08/V-74

El constante crecimiento que ha experimentado en los últimos años el movimiento del autocaravanismo en

España y la falta de una regulación específica de algunos aspectos relacionados con esta actividad, motivaron la

aprobación en el Pleno del Senado de una Moción instando al Gobierno a tomar medidas necesarias para apoyar

el desarrollo de ésta*práctica y regular el uso de las autocaravanas.

Por este motivo, la Dirección General de Tráfico ha entendido necesario recopilar e interpretar en un único

documento todos aquellos aspectos normativos que, relacionados con el autocaravanismo, se recogen en la

legislación sobre tráfico y vehículos a motor.
I will just bring loads of Pesetas with me and a few packs of fags to pay off the cops(y)

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
What makes you think that anyone knows? If the fitters of systems that have failed don't report it how to you supposed 'Joe Public' can find out?

From what's been said only one 'catastrophic' failure ... I suppose we should be grateful that there haven't been more like this ... that we know of!

Maybe, just maybe, making this accident 'public' will ensure that others check their systems and prevent others occurring, also it may encourage others who have had this happen to them to report it too which would no doubt keep you both (and anyone else who just want to dismiss this important issue), happy so that you then know it's not just a fluke ... it's a funny way to be happy though!

What I am really surprised at is that people who should be able to see the bigger picture seem to have myopia when it comes Tony - if you cannot rise above that bias it says a lot more about you than it does him.

I really, REALLY do not get your hostility to the threads/posts about this issue ... if I had found out about it and been the first to report it on this forum I doubt very much if I would have got the flack that Tony has.

There are times when I am ashamed to be a member of this forum ...
Let’s get back to basics, the naysayers and anti-anti-everything brigade have had their fun.

The simple fact is that, regardless of the failure of the A-frame in the current issue, the installation was missing a crucial piece of safety equipment. It had no emergency braking facility installed.
The company’s documentation confirms there are others out there, (there is an alternative procedure in their fitting instructions).

Even after a total failure of the a-frame, the car should not have been able to run away.

1. That, and similar installations are illegal.
2. Only a blind man would not accept that there is a risk to life.

Sadly, there appears to be a lot of ‘blind men’ in this forum… 😡

My original post highlighted the fact that there is an issue with some installations from one particular company.
it also explained how to check and what to look for (no dismantling required) to ensure your vehicle is not included in the problem.

That’s it, in a nutshell. I’ve provided the info, do with it what you will.

#towsafeforfreddie

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
I will just bring loads of Pesetas with me and a few packs of fags to pay off the cops(y)
One member of another forum had to buy a car transporter trailer as well as pay his fine.

you might need more than a few fags.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Still thinking of A framing it to Spain this year.

Its all legal isn’t it?
[/QUOTE

If you are thinking of driving through France take note, it is also illegal to 'tow a car' here and that would also include one on a 'A' Frame. Whether you would be booked or not is another matter, but it is still illegal.

Robert

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sadly, there appears to be a lot of ‘blind men’ in this forum… 😡

Blind? or just can't see the evidence as there is none?

One car doesn't make thousands dangerous. If the car had pulled broken away just after the installation that would be different, but my understanding was that the A Frame had been on for years. For all any of us know it could be a rusty as tin can at the bottom of the Sea, the owner may have made a mistake that day and fitted it incorrectly.

I'll happily stop posting if you stop trying to re-invent the wheel and keep spouting that A Frames are illegal and dangerous. Its perfectly acceptable to "think" that they are, the same as people are perfectly entitled to "think" that their God is great! and everyone else's "God" is wrong. The War only starts when people try to indoctrinate others into their "Belief"

As it is, anyone that disagrees with you is wrong, anyone that disagrees with you is "blind" anyone that disagrees with you has their head stuck in the sand, even your attempts to get the Department for Transport involved has frustrated you as they also have their "heads in the sand"

The Government have a web site that you can look things up it encompasses many things, even A Frames

To you, even that is wrong!

There is a great book written by Miguel de Cervantes, about a well meaning chap who saw Ferocious Giants and had to battle them whenever he saw them! to the amusement of others who wondered why he was shouting at windmills!

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
This is very funny to read as I can only see one half of the thread eddievanbitz the other half is on my ignore list as I would assume it is the same repetitive drivel that was on here a few weeks ago.😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back