Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Not about my motorhome, but a reminder just the same. I decided to give my old landrover a going over this morning, I use her for work and pottering about, and although she has a canvas roof and is really no different to riding a motorbike in bad weather, its a love thing:ROFLMAO:

I had checked all the fluids, which is quite a job on a landy, then started on the electrics. I fished all the plugs out, noticed that they were a bit sooty, so cleaned and gapped them, then put them back. I then stucke the colourtune in and tuned the carb to make it a bit leaner.
Then i decided to remove the distributor cap and have a look at the points etc. :Eeek::Eeek:.....as I lifted the cap, the spring that holds the carbon pick up, was hanging loose...and no carbon:Eeek:, the spring had been the only thing contacting the top of the rotor arm,...its a wonder the bleddy thing went at all, the rotor arm was getting a hole drilled in it by the spring.::bigsmile:

I went over to my local factors......for parts for a 26 year old landrover,.....cheered his day up no end, he was still laughing when i left:Angry:.
So, ive ordered from one of the usual suspects and expect delivery tuesday. Ive been a bit canny, and ordered two of everything so i dont get caught out again.
Ive only had the motor since October, so did,nt give it a good birthday when i got it, good job i did today,...it could have broken down at any time.
SO......seeing as it appears to be a bit mild at the moment, probably a good time to start checking things, rather than have them bit you on the arse the first trip out.:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Not about my motorhome, but a reminder just the same. I decided to give my old landrover a going over this morning, I use her for work and pottering about, and although she has a canvas roof and is really no different to riding a motorbike in bad weather, its a love thing:ROFLMAO:

I had checked all the fluids, which is quite a job on a landy, then started on the electrics. I fished all the plugs out, noticed that they were a bit sooty, so cleaned and gapped them, then put them back. I then stucke the colourtune in and tuned the carb to make it a bit leaner.
Then i decided to remove the distributor cap and have a look at the points etc. :Eeek::Eeek:.....as I lifted the cap, the spring that holds the carbon pick up, was hanging loose...and no carbon:Eeek:, the spring had been the only thing contacting the top of the rotor arm,...its a wonder the bleddy thing went at all, the rotor arm was getting a hole drilled in it by the spring.::bigsmile:

I went over to my local factors......for parts for a 26 year old landrover,.....cheered his day up no end, he was still laughing when i left:Angry:.
So, ive ordered from one of the usual suspects and expect delivery tuesday. Ive been a bit canny, and ordered two of everything so i dont get caught out again.
Ive only had the motor since October, so did,nt give it a good birthday when i got it, good job i did today,...it could have broken down at any time.
SO......seeing as it appears to be a bit mild at the moment, probably a good time to start checking things, rather than have them bit you on the arse the first trip out.:thumb:
thanks for the reminder :thumb:
service my motors every six months so no worries here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back