A Tale Of Freeloading Off-Site Motorhomers. (1 Viewer)

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You won't see many German 'free campers' in Greece at the moment. The irony of Germans coming to 'free camp' in Greece is not lost on the Greeks! Sometimes it pays to be neutral ;)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would like to ask Jim and JJ as they own land how they would feel if 200 motorhomers decided to park up on your land as they thought it was a nice place? I think they are parked where they have no permission on private land you cannot say that this is ok

:Eeek::Doh: If you read the thread you'll see that these places like Silves the freeloaders have the mayors blessing.

Deleted User
:Eeek::Doh: If you read the thread you'll see that these places like Silves the freeloaders have the mayors blessing.

He has probably got shares in the local French owned Continente supermarket or most likely the German owned Lidl up the road a piece.::bigsmile:I think they are probably the big winners but at least they do provide some employment for locals.

Still can't see why they don't make a small charge and provide some basic facilities. This will provide a couple of jobs for locals and raise some much needed revenue. Win Win ??

Don't want all these 'wildcamping' places closed down altogether, they might come and invade my space on site.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
My comment was about places like Alvor in the video where people have parked on private land in front of peoples homes

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My comment was about places like Alvor in the video where people have parked on private land in front of peoples homes

I still don't understand. I don't park where its illegal, so your question about my land is irrelevant. I don't condone parking illegally (overstays on MWay Services excepted:Smile:)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I would like to ask Jim and JJ as they own land how they would feel if 200 motorhomers decided to park up on your land as they thought it was a nice place? I think they are parked where they have no permission on private land you cannot say that this is ok

I too am confused.

I am unaware of ever parking illegally on any private land.

200 (did anyone actually count) vans wouldn't want to park on my land... too rural and too far from the sea... lol lol. But Funster friends are always welcome to stay at QMJ.

Some won't though because site rules mean you have to join the community singing of "Blue Moon" at sunset...

JJ:Cool:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having watched the video for a second time, this time with my hearing aid in, I notice the director constantly referring to "caravans". This puts a completely different light on the subject........No problem for us MOTORHOMES.

Panic over motorhomers :winky:

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I would not stay there, because we are scaredy cats with regard to wild camping on the whole. However, we stayed nearby at Chicken Run for months on end two years running and visited daily. The area shown on the video is approx 50 yards from a council car park which is also overlooked by the villas in the video. The car park does not allow motorhomes, there is a sign displayed, which sort of suggests that the waste ground is implicitly OK.. It is also about 50 - 100 yards from a fabulous beach and a number of beach bars and restaurants who do not object to the wild campers (or so I have been told).

I also feel that there have been a number of aires which have a similar ambience. We did stay at Silves for a night, and would do so again, as it is a nice town. However, we try to make a point of spending the equivalent of the camping fee in the town. Usually in a bar or restaurant:Blush:

Surely, it would be better to focus on the things we have in common,rather than criticising each other for our different choices. Although it would make the boards less interesting to read I guess.

Karen and Paul

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Having watched the video for a second time, this time with my hearing aid in, I notice the director constantly referring to "caravans". This puts a completely different light on the subject........No problem for us MOTORHOMES.

Panic over motorhomers :winky:
Yes Dave, I picked up on that one as well. He's obviously being selective. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Jock.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp

where here does it say either Jim or JJ wildcamp where you should not?
In the video some people are parked where it says no motorhomes the only reason I ask both of you is because you have land you own forget I asked as the you feel the " question about my land is irrelevant" I will post no more "irrelevant" posts

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

where here does it say either Jim or JJ wildcamp where you should not?
In the video some people are parked where it says no motorhomes the only reason I ask both of you is because you have land you own forget I asked as the you feel the " question about my land is irrelevant" I will post no more "irrelevant" posts

Sorry if I mis-read your post. I read your question as "you and JJ like wild camping, you both own land, how would you like it etc..." As I do not park illegally I thought the question unjustified.

However If your question was put just because I'm a landowner and not asked with those connotations then I apologise How do you think anyone would feel if people used their land illegally? Aggrieved I'm sure.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Jhorsf
I want to share a little bit of what you say in a similar but different scenario.

I live in a lovely village, not tiny, but not big.
Last year and indeed two years ago we were subjected to an amazing experience.
A chap that owns some land decided that he would rent it out for 1 week to some gypsy's. The sort that turn up with dags put up a marque and hold a proper gypsy wedding. There must of been about 200 hundred of them.
Not one shop owner was pleased that they had arrived and to say it was a blot on our landscape is an understatement.
It got to the point whereby all kids had to be picked up from school due to the abuse they were getting, everything was locked up yet there was still thefts, the village pub's had to close etc etc but you get the picture.

Now, they were there with the owners blessing, but certainly not ours. :Angry:

So how is this relevent to the thread?

well, it's not TBH but I just thought I would share it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No but you see it is...........

Jim will testify, I remember being at the bring and buy meet one evening sat down outside enjoying a [STRIKE]beer[/STRIKE] nice malt. Then a car drove through the village past the site shouting out THE window FING Itinerants .

So the point is that those of us that know, know we are different to those people, but in reality a large group of Motorhomes/caravans to un-motorhome-educated- layperson, we will be seen as no different.

I am known at work as the Gypsy, my colleagues just don't get why I would want to go and live in an 8 meter van when I have such a nice house. :Blush:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have a faith school at the end of my road and parking is sometimes an issue for the chavvy parents in their Range Rovers. One day I came back from walking my daughter to her school and caught a woman driving off my drive having parked in there to drop her child off.

As you can imagine I remonstrated with her in clear terms about manners and trespass. She didn't apologise and just drove off.

When I got home from work that night this woman had posted a weird letter through my post box full of religious guff about throwing the first stone if you are without sin etc and ending with "May God Bless You".

Some people are just bloody rude so think they can park anywhere they want. Add an unbalanced person and religion and you have a ready made weirdo.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Got a slow day at work Chris? Looking for a distraction? Take a thread that's lively anyway, and add religion. :Eeek::ROFLMAO: :winky:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have a faith school at the end of my road and parking is sometimes an issue for the chavvy parents in their Range Rovers. One day I came back from walking my daughter to her school and caught a woman driving off my drive having parked in there to drop her child off.

As you can imagine I remonstrated with her in clear terms about manners and trespass. She didn't apologise and just drove off.

When I got home from work that night this woman had posted a weird letter through my post box full of religious guff about throwing the first stone if you are without sin etc and ending with "May God Bless You".

Some people are just bloody rude so think they can park anywhere they want. [HI]Add an unbalanced person and religion and you have a ready made weirdo[/HI].

I think David Icke might give you a bit of an argument there Chris :roflmto:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not in work yet. My turn for the school run ( or walk) today.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I still think it was a good idea for the Silves' motorhomers to have a collection and give it to the local community...

(None of them was illegally parked on private land. )

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I still think it was a good idea for the Silves' motorhomers to have a collection and give it to the local community...

So do I JJ, without it we wouldn't have this wonderful thread :ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Why do people insist on staying on topic?::bigsmile:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

nice story.i also hope its true.wild camping is great fun.i have done it for a few years now. happy camping guys and gals.:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back