Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
being ex military (Army Airborne/Commando) I am always interested in visiting Commonwealth War Graves in France etc and go to pay my respects. On our way to the Dordogne my wife and I stayed on a lovely Aire at Rom (page 532 on the Aires France 3rd edition) I noticed a small cemetery nearby and there were some war graves in the far corner On further inspection there were 30 stones, all WW2 SAS who had been "Murdered" on the orders of Hitler that all Special Forces captured, even if in uniform, were to be executed! Sadly they all were on 7 Sept 1944 The youngest being 20 and the eldest 31. there was also the grave of a US Army pilot killed on the same day.
The spooky bit was that I visited the site on 7 September.
A sad story and such brave young men!!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We visited the Arbitorium near Birmingham recently very sad to see all those names from the present and going back years, and still room for more. Pete :Sad::Sad:

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
anniversary

My regiment 29 Commando Regt Royal Artillery celebrates it 50th anniversary next July 20/21 with a march through the City of Plymouth on the Sat morning. They have just returned frm 6 months in Afghanistan with no loss of life and thankfully in those 50 yrs, and being involved in every conflict since its formation, we have not lost too many soldiers. Sad tho it is, they are too many and will not be forgotten. A new memorial was dedicate to them outside the Royal Citadel gates on the Hoe last January so if anyone is visiting Plymouth pse take time to visit it.
Never forgotten.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I visited my Grandfathers grave at the Commonwealth war cemetry in Yokahama, Tokyo a few years back. He was 23. It was a vast cemetry full of graves. I didnt find one over 30:Sad:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Interesting read on Wiki HERE about these unfortunate souls.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We visited the Arbitorium near Birmingham recently very sad to see all those names from the present and going back years, and still room for more. Pete :Sad::Sad:

If you mean the Arboretum, just off the A38, then it's worth remembering that the names on there are only of service personnel who have lost their lives in the line of duty since WW2. These include personnel from the other services not just military ie Fire, Police etc.
When I went I was talking to the chap who does the engraving. He goes once a year in April and he puts on all the names of those who have perished the previous year. This usually takes him about FIVE weeks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back