A simple idea But Brilliant ( Wet Muddy Sites ) (1 Viewer)

Nookie Bear

Free Member
Mar 18, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
Challenger 36
Exp
Since 2005
So Dear Friends
We've all had fun at some time gettring stuck on that wet site !!
Answer simple ??
I have with me at all times a pair of" plastic sand mats" What are these ? Simple they are a lightweigt plastic grid section of approx 25 or 30CMS wide by approx 90 cms long; And all I do if the ground is wet or looks doubtfull I drive onto these and park , you can even use your leveling wedges on them with care . Then if its looking difficult to leave you place where you have passed the night your driving wheels are in a solid surface and you should be able to get off. to the road of track . Care is required , yes but better than getting really stuck . These are not that expensive to buy but can save a lot of stress and fraustration . Available from E bay usually ; (The ones I have have served me well in the past when travelling in difficult situations with my 4X4 and are a valuable asset .
Hoping this post is of value to all (or Some )
Good motorhoming
Mike

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
So Dear Friends
We've all had fun at some time gettring stuck on that wet site !!
Answer simple ??
I have with me at all times a pair of" plastic sand mats" What are these ? Simple they are a lightweigt plastic grid section of approx 25 or 30CMS wide by approx 90 cms long; And all I do if the ground is wet or looks doubtfull I drive onto these and park , you can even use your leveling wedges on them with care . Then if its looking difficult to leave you place where you have passed the night your driving wheels are in a solid surface and you should be able to get off. to the road of track . Care is required , yes but better than getting really stuck . These are not that expensive to buy but can save a lot of stress and fraustration . Available from E bay usually ; (The ones I have have served me well in the past when travelling in difficult situations with my 4X4 and are a valuable asset .
Hoping this post is of value to all (or Some )
Good motorhoming
Mike

I found that our sand mats buckled under even a light weight camper-van weight and became almost useless. We carry cut down bread crates which are more durable and do not deform as much, even with a heavier camper (PVC). Even with the bread crates, we have got stuck in sandy conditions - I like to think that I could have got out without assistance but some very friendly locals were keen / happy to give us a hand. We have have good tyres but I am cautious when going onto wet ground - I would be wary of relying on sand mats to get out of trouble.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Alternatively, Just carry a couple of planks. They spread the load and stop the wheels from settling in to an indent. It’s an easy drive off when you are ready to leave. Simples!

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Alternatively, Just carry a couple of planks. They spread the load and stop the wheels from settling in to an indent. It’s an easy drive off when you are ready to leave. Simples!

Ian
Pick your planks carefully - some are too thick to be of any assistance at all :).

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Ian

Pick your planks carefully - some are too thick to be of any assistance at all :).

Ahem, nowhere in my post will you see the word ‘passenger ‘! :D2

Ian

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Your simple idea has been around for many years, I’ve used bread crates for at least 10 years and have always parked on them when on grass.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Your simple idea has been around for many years, I’ve used bread crates for at least 10 years and have always parked on them when on grass.
No matter what you use, if the grass is wet and soggy, your van will sink and lose traction. I have yet to see a van that has gotten stuck get free without additional physical assistance.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
No matter what you use, if the grass is wet and soggy, your van will sink and lose traction. I have yet to see a van that has gotten stuck get free without additional physical assistance.
when you start to spin your almost stuck in :D:LOL::LOL:

Andy-the-Bruce

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
When out off-roading in the dunes of the Middle East, we lower the tyre pressures to around 15 psi. This creates a bigger footprint for the tyre (and some tyres are even designed with tread on the sidewall to take advantage of this technique) and thus makes it much easier to travel across the desert. In fact, it's a whole lot easier to drive in 2wd with deflated tyres than with 4x4 on fully inflated tyres.

I think the principle might work on wet grass or a boggy bit of ground. Has anybody tried this on a muddy campsite?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
When out off-roading in the dunes of the Middle East, we lower the tyre pressures to around 15 psi. This creates a bigger footprint for the tyre (and some tyres are even designed with tread on the sidewall to take advantage of this technique) and thus makes it much easier to travel across the desert. In fact, it's a whole lot easier to drive in 2wd with deflated tyres than with 4x4 on fully inflated tyres.

I think the principle might work on wet grass or a boggy bit of ground. Has anybody tried this on a muddy campsite?
By the sound of your post these tyres are designed for the purpose. I would imagine serious damage could be done to motorhome tyres designed to run at close to 65psi.

Andy-the-Bruce

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
Not if you only use the technique to get out then pump them back up immediately after(y)

Yeah, don’t travel over 30mph with the tyres deflated. I know motorhomes do weigh a lot but the same technique is used on some very heavy jeeps and I assume some military applications (with all sorts of different tyre types). It’s certainly worth considering if in a tight spot. The tyres should withstand the pressure but it could merit some research before doing it.

Andy-the-Bruce

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
By the sound of your post these tyres are designed for the purpose. I would imagine serious damage could be done to motorhome tyres designed to run at close to 65psi.

They’re usually either basic off-road tyres or road/sand tyres but as I understand it, the difference between these and regular road tyres is mostly just the tread.

OP
OP
N

Nookie Bear

Free Member
Mar 18, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
Challenger 36
Exp
Since 2005
Wow didn't think my simple post would create such a response .
Hey guys keep things simple , go back to the first post Its just an idea to get off a muddy site . Not to travel distace with low tyre inflation etc. I have a bit of experience in these matters having travelled extensivly in North Africa Sahara etc . So I reckon I know a thing or two about being stuck , Come on a muddy campsite, simples , A couple of ' sand tracks ' and with a light foot your out even with a fully loaded camper .
Andy le Bruce in a way agrees with me . Lowering tyre pressure works too but if you think before acting for a couple of mintes can save a lot of stress and fraustration ; Oh and get off the pitch !! Simples ehh !!
Have fun , We do rain or shine

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
We carry 4 GRP sandladders like these. https://www.fibregrid.com/Catalogue...and-Ladders/Sand-Ladders-Track-Mats-Pack-of-2
So far never had to use them ourselves, twin rears and LSD has seen us out of sticky situations. We have however loaned them to a number of fwd motorhome owners and a few tuggers and they have never failed to extricate the stuck. For £48 they were a bargain. So far earned me around £40 in 'thank you' vino (y):)

OP
OP
N

Nookie Bear

Free Member
Mar 18, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
Challenger 36
Exp
Since 2005
Exacacly what we use and wow really good price to . Thanks Robin for the info . :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Exacacly what we use and wow really good price to . Thanks Robin for the info . :)

They do look much more suitable than the ones that we have; ours really are a waste of space and I only keep them in the small camper in case I can ever find a use for them. The ones linked to above look better than our cut down bread crates. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I lent my grip mats to a local farmer who was having the public in to watch lambing. Cars were stuck everywhere, I got a new set as a thank you and Milenco have a new customer.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
We carry 4 GRP sandladders like these. https://www.fibregrid.com/Catalogue...and-Ladders/Sand-Ladders-Track-Mats-Pack-of-2
So far never had to use them ourselves, twin rears and LSD has seen us out of sticky situations. We have however loaned them to a number of fwd motorhome owners and a few tuggers and they have never failed to extricate the stuck. For £48 they were a bargain. So far earned me around £40 in 'thank you' vino (y):)
Unfortunately even these were of no use to someone stuck at Chester over the Easter weekend event there. His van had sunk into the mud so much that we couldn't get the tracks actually under his wheels so his van just spun the tyres on the lip of the track, a pity as it was the first time I had tried them in anger and damn are they heavy !!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
They are heavy, and even heavier when full of mud. When we use them in off roading we jack the wheel up and position them beneath or place them down before sinking and drive onto them.
I’ve thought about taking mine with me, and using them, but haven't as yet due to their weight.

Andy.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I have several sets of these (Trac mats) , not been used in anger . Half listed price , but collection or I can take along to meets will be at Shropshire Vintage show , or Welshpool C&W . PM if interested .

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Can you take a pic of the Trac mats please tacr2man.

What’s your opinion on them?

Andy.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
@Landy Andy They are like this the 25mm thick version .
112-large_default.jpg

For moho purposes would be fine , not suitable as bridging ladders IMHO Not suitable for my RV 8.5 tonne rear axle , and stopped playing in MUD with my Landrover a couple of decades ago :)
This grilling is used a lot for industrial purposes, Tracmat is main/only manufacturer IIRC.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Thanks tacr2man, same as mine but I have the slightly thicker ones. As you say they would work well for Mohos if they have the room and payload.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014

My van came with a set of those and I found them to be hopeless the one time I needed them! The wheels either span on them or spat them straight out.

Not wanting the weight of trac mats, rather than nicking bread crates I bought some ground guard tiles. Lightweight and should do much the same job as the middle of a bread crate.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Unfortunately even these were of no use to someone stuck at Chester over the Easter weekend event there. His van had sunk into the mud so much that we couldn't get the tracks actually under his wheels so his van just spun the tyres on the lip of the track, a pity as it was the first time I had tried them in anger and damn are they heavy !!
You need a shovel to use them when the wheels have dug a hole. The mud/soil in front of the wheel has to be dug away so a ramp is created. The ladder/mat is then placed on the ramp. Otherwise, as you mention, none of these things work if you can't get them to contact the tyre. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back