A short circular walk on the Mull of Galloway; (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We had a couple of nights at New England Bay C&MC site last month and the Warden told us about a circular walk from the site...

Leave the site and turn right along the shore. There is a council run picnic area where one or two MH's were wilding. The path continues along the shoreline of New England Bay round the Headland into Terally Bay with distant views of the Isle of Man?

IMG_20170916_111714.jpg

At the end of the seawall, turn inland, crossing the main road and take the minor road leading inland. Follow this for about a mile through the quiet valley without turning off . You will start a gentle climb passing these sub-tropical (?) gardens on your left..
IMG_20170916_115353 (2).jpg

and eventually reach the B 7065 . If you turn right this will take you down to Port Logan but we turned left and carried on up the hill about 1/2 mile until there is a footpath sign on your right to Cowans Farm. Take this track through the farmyard and on towards the Irish Sea. As we were walking along this track we saw something we had never seen in our life...
IMG_20170916_122005.jpg

A mole actually walking in the open!! It snuffled right past us until it got downwind of us and scarpered into the grass...

IMG_20170916_122034.jpg

We carried on down the track and then right again onto a bridlepath towards Port Logan. Halfway down we encountered a Punk Bullock...

IMG_20170916_123224 (2).jpg

We carried on down the bridle-path with views of Port Logan..

IMG_20170916_123359.jpg

As you reach the metalled road again there is there was a MH on the seafront which looked like a good wilding place....

IMG_20170916_124230.jpg

We thought this chap was here to make sure you didn't empty your grey waste on the way out!!!

IMG_20170916_124351.jpg

Carry on into the village to some picnic benches overlooking the Port where there was a coffee van serving scrumptious home made apple cake!!. There is a pub in the village that looked long term closed when we were there.

Take the 'middle road' up the hill out of the village and it runs all the way back to the main road, through the picnic area and back to the site at New England Bay. About 4 miles round trip mostly on clean paths or metalled roads except for parts of the bridleway which was a little soft. I think about three cars passed us on the unclassified road so very quiet and safe.
Note, if you are into jogging or running the 'middle road' we used was ideal. It is a there and back run (abt 4 miles) which my wife did the next morning.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Good post, we have stayed a couple of times on the CL at Muldaddie Farm in Port Logan it is just near the harbour, lovely part of the country.
Surprised that the pub has closed always seemed very busy and the food was good, about eight years since our last visit so l suppose a lot can change.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
A nice reminder of a nice walk Barry (y)

When I was at NEB in 2013, I pretty much walked that route across to Port Logan with my dog, but with his surgery over this summer, it was too far for him when we were there last month.

It was still nice to revisit Port Logan though, after we drove that way, back from the lighthouse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
If I recall right, the pub in Port Logan closed several years ago. I recall seeing something about the owner closing it over a planning dispute - something to do with him wanting to put Greek columns up? Whether that was the whole story is perhaps another matter...
Shame though.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Pub was bought by a nutcase who effectively destroyed it, quite literally. The building has been patched up and is on the market again. It was a lovely pub.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The Community want to buy the pub but he won’t sell evidently according to the warden. Such a shame as there is nothing else there apart from the cove and all the cottages. Even the little pink kiosk was shut today so no refreshments half way around our walk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back