A second smashing rv for sale (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
very good advert for your motor Bob
I thought it was LPG converted but just says petrol

you should know it your pride and joy
may be my mistake ( gray matter not working as it once did):ROFLMAO:

now if only i win the lotto :thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
No it is just petrol

very good advert for your motor Bob
I thought it was LPG converted but just says petrol

you should know it your pride and joy
may be my mistake ( gray matter not working as it once did):ROFLMAO:

now if only i win the lotto :thumb:

No it is just petrol.

We did toy with the idea of having it made LPG when we first obtained it. But the high cost of a system for a V10 was between £3,500 to £4,000.... also friends of ours ... the Griffs had the slightly bigger Winnebago Aspect at 26' long and they had to have there main fuel tank shortened to get an LPG tank in.. this cut down the range of the main fuel .... Clive of the Griffs has since sold his Aspect ... but I am sure he can explain the issues.. advantage v disadvantages.

We used the money to have some of the other goodies put on the RV.. we have spent over £14k on extras.. like the Satellite TV, the Inverter and the VanBitz alarm etc., we worked out that we would unlikely get a return on the investment.. the next owner may, but then we would not.

But we get 14 mpg all day long with the big trailer on the back... when we do shows with the baby trailer including the genny use over the weekend we get about 14.5 to 15 mpg... which we think is very good. I drive at 55 mpg at 1800 rpm and that gives me the figures we do... over the whole time we have had the RV.

Someone will get a bargain...

Bob:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
thanks for that bob
mine has the 7.4 vorteck v8 Chevy with LPG
previous owned had it fitted i get 10 mpg on Lpg = to 20mpg on petrol prices

i only carry about 1/2 tank petrol always run on LPG

i do 60mph with trailer on maybe i should try the slower 55 @ 1800RPM
see what she gives then
the run to Ruttland will be a good test

see you there:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Why convert an RV to LPG Motorhomelover?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
in my case previous owner did it
you do get cheaper fuel costs on LPG

i would not pay the £2500 installation cost
but once it is done it is cheaper to run

Thanks. My brother did it with a BMW years ago and I seem to remember him saying its only worth it if you are high mileage which I guess most RV's aren't.

Great if it's already fitted and paid for though:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Bob you did know every time you mention you have something for sale on the Forum you owe Jim a pound ?

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is balance out by suggestions to subscribe

Bob you did know every time you mention you have something for sale on the Forum you owe Jim a pound ?

I think that is balance out by my suggestions to new joiners to pay the subscription ... plus my giving out cards at camp sites in France:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I expect my bacon sandwich for the £1.00:winky:

Bob

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
That 23. 9"...........

Is that American usable internal floor space... ?

Or overall as in front bumper to sticky out bit at the back... ?

Just curious.. :winky::ROFLMAO:
I think it is the full out side length MO
they usually quote the outer dimensions so you know how long your long drive way has to be :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But in BOBs case how short it can be who said size is not important ?:Eeek:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Americans always give the smaller size but it is bigger

I think it is the full out side length MO
they usually quote the outer dimensions so you know how long your long drive way has to be :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But in BOBs case how short it can be who said size is not important ?:Eeek:

My RV is a Aspect 23D .. but like all RV's the size is actually bigger ... in my case it is 23'9" so if you see an RV stating it is say a 29 .. you can bet it is 30' or even 31'

But it is the size given in the Winnebago hand book. Never actually measured it... But it is one of the small Winnebago RV's that was made.... the advantage it has is that it has the V10 6.8 which is also used on many RV's up to 32' .. so I get the same power as a much heavier and longer RV on the smaller Super Duty E350 Chassis. Makes towing a doddle ..so much power available. and at 5 tons all up it gives good mpg.

Bob

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just been browsing the RVs for sale section in the Classified bit of the Forum but couldn't see yours there Bob... am I doing something wrong? :Blush:

JJ :Cool:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
thanks for that bob
mine has the 7.4 vorteck v8 Chevy with LPG
previous owned had it fitted [HI] i get 10 mpg on Lpg = to 20mpg on petrol prices [/HI]
i only carry about 1/2 tank petrol always run on LPG

i do 60mph with trailer on maybe i should try the slower 55 @ 1800RPM
see what she gives then
the run to Ruttland will be a good test
see you there:thumb:
It would be interesting for anyone who is thinking about installing LPG to understand the full benefits of your LPG experience. Perhaps you could give them a breakdown of your calculations giving your route to your 20mpg equivalent.:thumb:

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Buttons - if LPG is half the price of petrol and it does 10 mpg then I guess it does work out to the equivalent of 20 mpg. I think LPG is now a bit more than half the cost now though.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons - if LPG is half the price of petrol and it does 10 mpg then I guess it does work out to the equivalent of 20 mpg. I think LPG is now a bit more than half the cost now though.
Well spotted treacle, however I think in fairness, it was quoted that on petrol he was achieving 14 mpg, but I could be wrong.:Smile: If we are doing a comparison then it is only fair to compare it with the MPG for both LPG and petrol. But it is early.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well spotted treacle, however I think in fairness, it was quoted that on petrel he was achieving 14 mpg, but I could be wrong.:Smile:

I see:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

That would be true if LPG was as efficient as petrol .. but it's not, it's about 80%

so if you get 10mpg on petrol you will get 8mpg on LPG

For the sake of calculations assume LPG cost about 80p .. Petrol around 130p per litre .. or in gallons = £3.60 and £5.85 per gal

That works out at 45p per mile on LPG and 58.5p per mile on petrol ..

that is a saving of 13.5p per mile ..

so, running on LPG is about 77% the cost of running on petrol ..
not 50% as some would have us believe ..

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
not you JJ - me

Just been browsing the RVs for sale section in the Classified bit of the Forum but couldn't see yours there Bob... am I doing something wrong? :Blush:

I cannot get any photo's to load.. I have had this issue for a long time and contacted JIM.. he even put a how to use photobucket... have an account but still will not do it for me.

I have tired via safari, and firefox... not for the want of trying.. cheaper than Ebay fee's

Bob:Blush:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That would be true if LPG was as efficient as petrol .. but it's not, it's about 80%

For the sake of calculations assume LPG cost about 80p .. Petrol around 130p per litre .. or in gallons = £3.60 and £5.85 per gal

Thanks Jim.

So it takes a lot of miles to pay for the conversion cost I guess.

Good stuff if the LPG is pre fitted though:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Thank you Jim we obviously had the same maths teacher.:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is true Jim

When it was about 40p a ltr it was a possible do...... but it is currently 67p which is cheap given it was over 80p not so long ago.

I looked at the fitting costs and the LPG prices and it just was not viable or justifiable ... I lay out a lot of money and will never see the benefits of the investment. Also as an aside I think if the V10 was intended to have LPG as it's power source then Ford may have offered that option to al the buyers in the USA that use the E350 and E450 chassis for commercial use.... given that petrol is climbing higher and higher in the USA these days.

My main concern was as mentioned above that the Griff's lost part of there main petrol tank (cut down) to allow an LPG tank to be fitted.

If I were to go that route I would want long range tanks fitted.. but on the E350 that is not possible as there is not a lot of unused room under the RV, and certainly not for long range tanks even if split up all over the place. So costs of installation ruled it out, and not enough range even if fitted as per how Clive (The Griffs) had it done of the Aspect and they had the E450 longer chassis.

But I agree it only returns about 78% - 80% of petrol in mpg.

Bob

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Good lord Jim,58.5p per mile :Eeek: So on a round trip to Spain 3600 miles its going to cost £2106 and thats just there and back, no touring. It would be cheaper to hire a Learjet. Now I know why I love Bio.:Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Good lord Jim,58.5p per mile :Eeek: So on a round trip to Spain 3600 miles its going to cost £2106 and thats just there and back, no touring. It would be cheaper to hire a Learjet. Now I know why I love Bio.:Cool:

you must have that wrong Dave..

Geo says it's cheaper running an RV than a Eurovan :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
of course it is

you must have that wrong Dave..

Geo says it's cheaper running an RV than a Eurovan :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I saw the maths Geo used and they looked good to me, so it is true then... if we say that enough it has to be true...

see the country is not bust.. just have to keep saying it.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Another point to factor in is engine wear--It is well known that after aprox 100,000 miles the heads are knackered on gas-obviously not many RVs do that mileage :Smile:
A mechanic mate made a small fortune changing LPG taxis to diesel a few yrs back ::bigsmile:
It says it all that (I think) there is only one maker still doing LPG
terry

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as I said Terry

Another point to factor in is engine wear--It is well known that after aprox 100,000 miles the heads are knackered on gas-obviously not many RVs do that mileage :Smile:
A mechanic mate made a small fortune changing LPG taxis to diesel a few yrs back ::bigsmile:
terry

As I said Terry... if it was such a good thing why does not Ford or the other makers offer it as an option.

We see the issues with log Honda generators where the warranty is null and void and it is the retailer that has to offer a warranty.

Now I use LPG for the fridge, cooking and heating on the RV... and it does what it says on the tin ..so to speak... but in the engine? I can remember on the old carb engines it used to back-fire...

I consider all these issues and the costs and decided my RV would stay as factory made.

At under 20k the engine is only just starting to get worn in... now hen that engine is running you know you have power it throbs.

Bob:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Always one

:Eeek:

You have spent £14k to "stay as factory made?!!!" :ROFLMAO:

There is always one.... yes you Shiffty.. we were talking abut LPG conversions v the original factory petrol engine...

Do try and keep up... you are getting as bad as JJ...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: we are a chapter ahead now. it is not about my RV selling price or how good it is... we all know that:winky:

It was about LPG gas conversions.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
There is always one.... yes you Shiffty.. we were talking abut LPG conversions v the original factory petrol engine...

Do try and keep up... [HI]you are getting as bad as JJ[/HI]...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: we are a chapter ahead now. it is not about my RV selling price or how good it is... we all know that:winky:

It was about LPG gas conversions.

Libel... for all the world to see... expect contact from my people any moment now...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
terry

It may have been the case then, certainly there was a problem with valve seats burning out prematurely but not now.
I bought a new Ford Galaxy Ghia 2.3 which was converted to LPG from new and now has 120,000 on the clock and still runs perfectly .
It is also a fact that a petrol engine running on LPG will last far longer due to less contaminants in the oil reducing cylinder/bore/bearing wear

Last edited:
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User

So on those figure (and assuming the price differential stays the same)

You need to do 26,000 miles to have saved enough to pay for the £3,500 lpg conversion and actually start saving any money at all.

No brainer for most people ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back