A salutary experience for Motorhomers... (1 Viewer)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I hate the inner circle A205/A406

Not too fused with the outer circle {M25}

Back on track{fun}

Mel

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Interesting post by op I must admit at first i thought it was about being robbed and or gassed :Eeek:

It is a beautiful bit of free advertising for his company
[HI]
It has now been viewed now by about 3000 odd persons[/HI]

Well most of em are Odd:ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
do you know.
I don't know where this "in circle" comes from or indeed how it has a place on this thread.

personally as a long standing member who had contributed in many ways to the upkeep and development of this fine forum I actually feel sad that it id's even being discussed. just a few weeks ago I agreed to go and assist a new member with a problem she was having with her van.
there is no circle and never had been.naturally there will be people with similar and diverse opinions but no inner circle just people enjoying themselves..

some people take this forum and it's contents way to seriously

if there is a clique I by hope I'm not in it or kicked out off it very quickly

Sorry Haggers, there is an inner circle on this forum. It is massive and very very obvious and I am afraid you are a big part of it......

The good thing about the inner circle is to join it all you have to do is join in :thumb: There are very few rules to join this inner circle and after a bit of searching I have Link Removed again. If you obey these rules and join in then your are part of this fantastic inner circle...

The thing I like about this forum is that Jim runs it as a benevolent dictatorship. He sets a few simple rules and providing you stick to them pretty much anything else goes. We each learn to rub along with each other and take the bumps and bruises of life. You soon learn if you are out of line.
There are a few people on here who I disagree with, but the fact that we can have a strop with each other within the rules is fantastic and I am sure when and if we meet up in real life we will have a beer and a laugh. This makes the experience even more pleasurable.

If you saw my thread regarding drones, you will have seen how a certain member had very very strong opinions.... No one was shut down or censored. The thread was simply moved to a place where it wouldn't reflect badly on the site. We carried on regardless (within the rules). I disagree with that person with a passion and was tempted to call him a troll but that is against the rules... (whoops :Doh: ) but I am looking forward to meeting him on a rally and having a few beers with him none the less. I love people with passion even when they are totally and utterly wrong :ROFLMAO:

The rules were stretched on that thread somewhat and the debate got heated but I don't think anyone spat their dummy out and went home with their toys????

Back to the topic, Frank, I and I am sure the other people who have posted regarding this subject don't want you to leave. We made what I feel was a fair and constructive criticism. I really hope you don't spit your dummy out (unless it is part of a funster rally competition :ROFLMAO: ) and go home with your toys as that was not the intent of the comments.

As Jim has cleared you, you can obviously carry on as you have been. Or you can figure out why a few of us got grumpy and try and oblige us. I am sure if you do the latter you may get a few unexpected if small benefits :winky:

The inner circle rocks, join it if you dare :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Inner Circle

I see no inner circle.

I see some people who need to get out more but spend time posting on here, one being me. I hope I contribute positively most of the time.

If you feel left out, work that keyboard harder.

If you are out of sync with the majority of the posts, that's good, your a fee thinker not a sheep.

As someone who posts occasionally but reads a lot I think I understand about the so called 'Inner Circle'. When certain posts gain momentum I notice the same members usually posting replies/comments.

Unless something really interests or annoys me I don't bother posting but I believe there to be quite a few very cynical members on here and I think it can detract from the site.

In the case of this thread, I for one, never would have thought the OP had an ulterior motive in supposedly promoting his blog, perhaps I'm naive but I don't think so.

I, on the other hand, unashamedly post my link hoping people will notice my services.

And finally - Frank, love your blog and recommended it to my son.

Rob

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
As someone who posts occasionally but reads a lot I think I understand about the so called 'Inner Circle'. When certain posts gain momentum I notice the same members usually posting replies/comments.

Unless something really interests or annoys me I don't bother posting but I believe there to be quite a few very cynical members on here and I think it can detract from the site.

In the case of this thread, I for one never would have thought the OP had an ulterior motive in supposedly promoting his blog, perhaps I'm naive but I don't think so.

I on the other hand unashamedly post my link hoping people will notice my services.

And finally - Frank, love your blog and recommended it to my son.

Rob

Like you I have no idea why the blog thing upset people, but I don't / didn't understand it until it was pointed out. What I would never do though is click on a link without a story as was the OP.
as for the inner circle, again, I just don't get it? By your reckoning, there are some that post too frequent ? And some cynical old buggers, is this not the same as life?

Post more and cheer us up is the answer :Smile:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Like you I have no idea why the blog thing upset people, but I don't / didn't understand it until it was pointed out. What I would never do though is click on a link without a story as was the OP.
as for the inner circle, again, I just don't get it? By your reckoning, there are some that post too frequent ? And some cynical old buggers, is this not the same as life?

Post more and cheer us up is the answer :Smile:

Are you assuming I need cheering up? - or am I being cynical?:winky:

OP
OP
F

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Response

I logged in late last night following a fascinating drive from Slovenia to Croatia and was amazed to see that the thread continues but that the "Inner Circle" and Jaffa cakes have moved into the limelight. I was thinking this would be a good time to fade away into the background but then I read the most recent posts and some of the same misperceptions raised their heads.

Jim, the owner, raised his voice and appeared to give me the seal of approval. Sadly he made the same mistake by stating that I was promoting my blog. I am not. As previously stated the blog is there for a very specific purpose and the MHF would never have heard of it but for the fact that I met on of your members on this trip and he suggested I share it with the forum because of the nature of the content. I did and got so much encouragement that I simply included the forum in each new post. The blog is not for public consumption and is not optimised for search engine recognition. Of course if people stumble across it they can read it but few do arrive that way.

Some people have been offensive in saying that I am using the forum and should present the blog in a post. This is, again, inaccurate. The blog is shared with the forum because of the reason stated above.

Many people on here have said they enjoy the blog and quite a number have contacted me privately to say so and to encourage me to continue. I am truly humbled by that. Thanks to them. They know who they are.

Now to the snide remarks about "just a bad wifi experience" and 10 minute check ins. Again if those people had bothered to read all of the blog they would see that wi fi is a pet topic and that it is being used unscrupulously by some site owners. The day will come when wi fi is used by sites as a product to attract customers and is provided free of charge. It is happening all over already. Sites like La Bastide in Sainte-Foy La Grande have a great service, free broadband and available throughout the site. Providing free wi fi is not a wildly expensive cost for campsite owners but as a product it ranks alongside hot water and other important things we require from sites. Many people don't use or need wi fi but it is important to huge numbers for their work, for families to stay in touch and for keeping track of events at home while away. I met a gentlemen in Slovenia who had a breakdown in his van which grounded him. He was able to locate a part in the UK, buy it and have it shipped along with a specific tool all within 48 hours using the free site wi fi.

So when I see site owners not only charge, but charge exorbitantly for systems that are poor and in some cases don't work then I get angry. My point about Camp Butterfly is that by reason of their "rules" on a Saturday and Sunday you can only register between 7:00pm and 9:00pm means that they are herding the users to log on at the same time thus slowing the system down to the point where it doesn't function. In Camp Butterfly they are blessed with a fine location so people will come no matter what but that is NOT a reason to be extortionate when they know they can get away with it. I believe that Motorhomers and forums like the this one should raise their collective voices to tell people about this practice. That is precisely what I was doing, nothing else. €2 an hour for a service that doesn't function.

Some members have been making fun of what has been referred to as the "10 minute check in". I should say that it was more the half hour standing in the rain that caused everyone grief. I made the point that one staff member checked people in while we counted 3 others in the office seemingly doing little or nothing. I can put my hand on my heart and say that I have never seen so many disgruntled and angry campsite customers on that day at that time. The staff couldn't care less. I believe members of this Forum should let their voices be heard when they come across such behaviours. It has the effect of causing fellow members to be aware. It can ONLY be for the good. The last site we were on In Slovenia, Camp Adria and the current site in Croatia, Camp Pali were exemplary in this department, pleasant, happy and helpful reception staff who get you signed up and on your way in a couple of minutes smiling all the time. It doesn't cost their employers a single penny and what a difference. Fabulous.

Although I have been a member here for a very short time it is quite obvious that there is not an "inner circle". What happens is that some members get more vociferous than others and by virtue of having little else to do become prominent and appear to control. It happens everywhere, in every walk of life. Inevitably they are abrasive and cause conflict but that is human nature. This forum has its examples. What they should do is learn how to accept when they are wrong and say so. My only advice would be to remember the first rule of holes. When you are in one, stop digging.

By the way, Croatia is stunning.

F

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
An element of humour !!!

I have a slightly different view of Camping Butterfly as we stayed there a couple of years back in a Static Caravan (pre motorhome days :Eeek:).

Found it to be a lovely site (no problem with staff :RollEyes:) and in a fantastic location. By chance,[HI] even got to see the Mille Miglia go through the local town of Peschiera[/HI] (5 min walk away). Wow, what a treat :Smile:

On of those incredibly enjoyable and memorable holidays :Cool: .

Maria

Was Stirling at the wheel along with Mr. Jenkins ????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Retired journalist !!!

..."retired lawyer and journalist..."

hmmmmm.....:RollEyes:

As am I !!! I too have suffered brickbats during my career !
I just ignored them as Frank (I think !) should also do !!

Oh Please! ! He just gives out information that may or may not be useful to us ! Take it or leave it ! But snide comments won't garner any good will in the future !!

P.s. This post is general and not directed at any particular person !!:Doh:
However........If the cap fits ........:cry:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Doesn't the truth just hurt !!!

I logged in late last night following a fascinating drive from Slovenia to Croatia and was amazed to see that the thread continues but that the "Inner Circle" and Jaffa cakes have moved into the limelight. I was thinking this would be a good time to fade away into the background but then I read the most recent posts and some of the same misperceptions raised their heads.

Jim, the owner, raised his voice and appeared to give me the seal of approval. Sadly he made the same mistake by stating that I was promoting my blog. I am not. As previously stated the blog is there for a very specific purpose and the MHF would never have heard of it but for the fact that I met on of your members on this trip and he suggested I share it with the forum because of the nature of the content. I did and got so much encouragement that I simply included the forum in each new post. The blog is not for public consumption and is not optimised for search engine recognition. Of course if people stumble across it they can read it but few do arrive that way.

Some people have been offensive in saying that I am using the forum and should present the blog in a post. This is, again, inaccurate. The blog is shared with the forum because of the reason stated above.

Many people on here have said they enjoy the blog and quite a number have contacted me privately to say so and to encourage me to continue. I am truly humbled by that. Thanks to them. They know who they are.

Now to the snide remarks about "just a bad wifi experience" and 10 minute check ins. Again if those people had bothered to read all of the blog they would see that wi fi is a pet topic and that it is being used unscrupulously by some site owners. The day will come when wi fi is used by sites as a product to attract customers and is provided free of charge. It is happening all over already. Sites like La Bastide in Sainte-Foy La Grande have a great service, free broadband and available throughout the site. Providing free wi fi is not a wildly expensive cost for campsite owners but as a product it ranks alongside hot water and other important things we require from sites. Many people don't use or need wi fi but it is important to huge numbers for their work, for families to stay in touch and for keeping track of events at home while away. I met a gentlemen in Slovenia who had a breakdown in his van which grounded him. He was able to locate a part in the UK, buy it and have it shipped along with a specific tool all within 48 hours using the free site wi fi.

So when I see site owners not only charge, but charge exorbitantly for systems that are poor and in some cases don't work then I get angry. My point about Camp Butterfly is that by reason of their "rules" on a Saturday and Sunday you can only register between 7:00pm and 9:00pm means that they are herding the users to log on at the same time thus slowing the system down to the point where it doesn't function. In Camp Butterfly they are blessed with a fine location so people will come no matter what but that is NOT a reason to be extortionate when they know they can get away with it. I believe that Motorhomers and forums like the this one should raise their collective voices to tell people about this practice. That is precisely what I was doing, nothing else. €2 an hour for a service that doesn't function.

Some members have been making fun of what has been referred to as the "10 minute check in". I should say that it was more the half hour standing in the rain that caused everyone grief. I made the point that one staff member checked people in while we counted 3 others in the office seemingly doing little or nothing. I can put my hand on my heart and say that I have never seen so many disgruntled and angry campsite customers on that day at that time. The staff couldn't care less. I believe members of this Forum should let their voices be heard when they come across such behaviours. It has the effect of causing fellow members to be aware. It can ONLY be for the good. The last site we were on In Slovenia, Camp Adria and the current site in Croatia, Camp Pali were exemplary in this department, pleasant, happy and helpful reception staff who get you signed up and on your way in a couple of minutes smiling all the time. It doesn't cost their employers a single penny and what a difference. Fabulous.

Although I have been a member here for a very short time it is quite obvious that there is not an "inner circle". What happens is that[HI][HI] some members get more vociferous than others and by virtue of having little else to do [/HI][/HI]become prominent and appear to control. It happens everywhere, in every walk of life. Inevitably they are abrasive and cause conflict but that is human nature. This forum has its examples. What they should do is learn how to accept when they are wrong and say so. My only advice would be to remember the first rule of holes. When you are in one, stop digging.

F

Oh my word !!! that sounds like me !!:cry::cry::cry:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is good that you take time from your cooking to post here Steve... just as it is good that Frank takes time from his busy day to post (a long one too) on Fun and draw attention to where some of us are going wrong. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now I have to get on with my busy day... I have to get out of bed... I have to make brekky... eggs (two), bacon (four), beans (half tin), fried up mash potato and toast with marmalade. All washed down with a cup of coffee (imported by special courier from France).

After that I might do some more pool cleaning in the sun or not... I have not decided yet...

What a sad, wasted life... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Now to the snide remarks about "just a bad wifi experience" and 10 minute check ins. Again if those people had bothered to read all of the blog they would see that wi fi is a pet topic and that it is being used unscrupulously by some site owners.

Indeed it is and none worse than UK camp sites, CC or CCC, I forget which are notorious for high price poor connectivity.

The day will come when wi fi is used by sites as a product to attract customers and is provided free of charge.

That day has come. There's a lot of good free WiFi around. There's a lot of abused WiFi too by people who must see Coronation Street via WiFi.

It is happening all over already.

Ah, got corrected yourself before I did.

Many people don't use or need wi fi but it is important to huge numbers

You are preaching to the converted here.

So when I see site owners not only charge, but charge exorbitantly for systems that are poor and in some cases don't work then I get angry.

Quite right too, we all do but they can charge what they want, it's us that make it work for them if we pay.

My point about Camp Butterfly

You keep doing that, it's Camping Butterfly.

is that by reason of their "rules" on a Saturday and Sunday you can only

Ahhhhh, I didn't notice Sat+Sun in your blog, but this is peak movements time it now looks a sensible policy.

In Camp Butterfly

Camping. It's not a prison, it's a fine place for a holiday.

NOT a reason to be extortionate

The camping rates, if booked for a week and in advance are brilliant.

€2 an hour for a service that doesn't function.

Someone else has mentioned this, if you are commercially committed to needing an internet connection you should equip yourself properly by satellite or mobile broadband and not be dependent on the vagaries of picking up a good service locally.

Some members have been making fun

We do that, it's written on the tin.

of what has been referred to as the "10 minute check in". I should say that it was more the half hour standing in the rain that caused everyone grief.

You should have seen us at Newark, snowing so hard we could hardly stand up, towed on and off the field. Shit happens.

I made the point that one staff member checked people in while we counted 3 others in the office

It's possible they were not trained for the job, maybe language problems, or they were just plain inefficient.

It doesn't cost their employers a single penny and what a difference. Fabulous.

Can't ague with that it happens everywhere from the corner shop to the posh hotel.

What happens is that some members get more vociferous than others and by virtue of having little else to do become prominent and appear to control.

Spot on. This retirement lark has a lot to answer for.

What they should do is learn how to accept when they are wrong and say so. My only advice would be to remember the first rule of holes. When you are in one, stop digging.

Brilliant.

We often offer e-ladders but those who like digging holes never know when to stop. Human nature I guess.

F

See comments in red.

That was robust but non aggressive bounce back Frank. We need you to contribute in here but it would be so much better if you had the time to write a paragraph on Butterfly rather than pointing to a long winded but beautifully presented blog. I can see no reason why you should duplicate your work so it's a bit of a stalemate.

Enjoy Croatia.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
WIFI

All the sad & bad things going on in the world & i get to read this. work & play don't mix & iv'e been to camping butterfly & found them to be very helpful still can't please everbody happy travels Rod

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
ANYONE RECKON A RALLY AT BUTTERFLY WOULD BE COOL :ROFLMAO:
names on the back of a postage stamp please

Join us or log in to post a reply.