A rookie thinking about fulltiming (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R
Apr 26, 2018
Devon
Funster No
Phil, do bear in mind that if you raise the bed up it could make it difficult to get in/out which may or may not be pertinent to your medical situation.

Thanks, Mel. It's not an agility issue (I'm super agile!) :ROFLMAO: I'll get back to you later on your previous post.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hydraulic leveller - brilliant! Hairdryer - not so good. Bald as a coot! :LOL:
Hairdryer is a lot, lot cheaper though ... you could probably have a hair transplant with the money it costs for a levelling system and then have the joy of using a hairdryer! :emo:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What about this one - its just arrived.

It has levellers and everything else you want.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks, Mel. It's not an agility issue (I'm super agile!) :ROFLMAO: I'll get back to you later on your previous post.
Its to allow your dolly-bird 'pseudo' nurses to be able to get at ya, ain't it!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
What about this one - its just arrived.

It has levellers and everything else you want.

I would like to see that van on a weighbridge first, a lot of additional kit has been added which is very heavy, jacks, roof mounted air con, sat dish, extra battery etc etc.
I don't think the payload would be enough for fulltiming in, he would need the 60C17 chassis in my opinion, not the 50C17, nice van though.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
@Rookie Phil just a thought; you may be looking to get a van for your own needs but you may find that you'll not be on your own for long so you may consder getting a van suitable for 2 people rather than just one.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I also think you should look for a newish used van all the gremlins should have been sent packing by the first owner

OR

It was thrown together on a Friday Afternoon and the previous owner is so sick of all the faults never being fixed that he has just decided to get shut. Someone somewhere has a nice Pilote MH with an electric bed that WAS a pain in the neck from day one.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I would like to see that van on a weighbridge first, a lot of additional kit has been added which is very heavy, jacks, roof mounted air con, sat dish, extra battery etc etc.
I don't think the payload would be enough for fulltiming in, he would need the 60C17 chassis in my opinion, not the 50C17, nice van though.

It has had an upgrade to 5400kg. Most, if not all, the items you mention would be factory fitted and standard equipment on a quality vehicle such as this.

Many 3.5 tonne vehicles have the same equipment.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It has had an upgrade to 5400kg. Most, if not all, the items you mention would be factory fitted and standard equipment on a quality vehicle such as this.

Many 3.5 tonne vehicles have the same equipment.

I have to disagree, awnings, roof air con wont be part of any factory fitting taking into account when payloads are published. For living in you need a lot of gear, our 8.33 metre one was 6400kg and we slightly exceeded that at times.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I have to disagree, awnings, roof air con wont be part of any factory fitting taking into account when payloads are published. For living in you need a lot of gear, our 8.33 metre one was 6400kg and we slightly exceeded that at times.

Awnings and roof air con aren't that heavy and my point is that most Concorde vehicles have those as standard and are factory fitted.

People buying a vehicle costing six figures aren't going to buy one without an awning and aircon. I would say that both are considered 'standard equipment' in this case.

You say your vehicle was overweight - well that's down to what you choose to carry. Of course there's always going to be a limit as to what you can take whatever vehicle you buy.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Awnings and roof air con aren't that heavy and my point is that most Concorde vehicles have those as standard and are factory fitted.

People buying a vehicle costing six figures aren't going to buy one without an awning and aircon. I would say that both are considered 'standard equipment' in this case.

You say your vehicle was overweight - well that's down to what you choose to carry. Of course there's always going to be a limit as to what you can take whatever vehicle you buy.

They maybe factory fitted but are optional and are not quoted in the payload figure, I would love to see the vehicle payload on a weighbridge of the van you linked to.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
They maybe factory fitted but are optional and are not quoted in the payload figure, I would love to see the vehicle payload on a weighbridge of the van you linked to.

Of course they're 'optional' but would you buy a high end vehicle costing around £200,000 (unsure of the price of that particular vehicle) and not expect it to have what, to most people, would be considered standard equipment?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Why? As I've just said, there's nothing on it out of the ordinary for a motorhome of that type.

Because I think all 8metre plus heavy vans should have been done on the 60C chassis, especially as this thread is about someone wanting a van for fulltiming.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Because I think all 8metre plus heavy vans should have been done on the 60C chassis, especially as this thread is about someone wanting a van for fulltiming.

Just so the original poster can make an informed vehicle choice... and simply out of interest....

The OP stated he will be full timing but I'm not sure that a full timer would take anything more than folk would take on an ordinary extended break.

Certainly, I can't think of anything that I'd take if we were full timing that we haven't already got with us now.

Obviously, there are differences in terms of insurance, healthcare, etc. but when it simply comes down to what you'd take with you I wouldn't think there would be much difference.

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
One of those drier thingies with a small electric fan and hearter...

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
There’s several mentions in this thread about hydronic levellers, but what about the ‘a lot lighter’ electric ones?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just so the original poster can make an informed vehicle choice... and simply out of interest....

The OP stated he will be full timing but I'm not sure that a full timer would take anything more than folk would take on an ordinary extended break.

Certainly, I can't think of anything that I'd take if we were full timing that we haven't already got with us now.

Obviously, there are differences in terms of insurance, healthcare, etc. but when it simply comes down to what you'd take with you I wouldn't think there would be much difference.
Oh I don't know lol

I have 300kg just in tools on board:p
And every item of clothing I own.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Oh I don't know lol

I have 300kg just in tools on board:p
And every item of clothing I own.

I was thinking more specifically about what particular items a fulltimer would take that 'regular' travellers wouldn't.

When folk new to motorhoming ask for advice on fulltiming I wonder if it complicates things by stating its somehow 'different fulltiming' in terms of payload. Of course everyone needs adequate payload for their needs but I can't think of anything else we'd take fulltiming that we don't already have onboard.

I think most travellers take up to their maximum, I know we do... We have over a tonne of payload and we're just under the limit.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I was thinking more specifically about what particular items a fulltimer would take that 'regular' travellers wouldn't.

When folk new to motorhoming ask for advice on fulltiming I wonder if it complicates things by stating its somehow 'different fulltiming' in terms of payload. Of course everyone needs adequate payload for their needs but I can't think of anything else we'd take fulltiming that we don't already have onboard.

I think most travellers take up to their maximum, I know we do... We have over a tonne of payload and we're just under the limit.
Well of course it’s going to vary among individual full timers, but for the record if I wasn’t fulltiming I personally wouldn’t be lugging about 3 large leisure batteries and a generator for a start. Nor would I be carrying all my clothing and footwear with me. Also we don’t have any separate storage anywhere so all our worldly goods have to travel with us. In my case that includes a surprisingly large number of board games. ;) Then there’s my other half’s surprisingly large collection of tools and diy equipment. :rolleyes:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Yes I've 1200kg payload and I had 80kg spare when I set off lol

But I got rid of a lot of stuff when over in spain as I was still carrying the two old batteries etc.

I think the more space you have the more you carry

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well of course it’s going to vary among individual full timers, but for the record if I wasn’t fulltiming I personally wouldn’t be lugging about 3 large leisure batteries and a generator for a start. Nor would I be carrying all my clothing and footwear with me. Also we don’t have any separate storage anywhere so all our worldly goods have to travel with us. In my case that includes a surprisingly large number of board games. ;) Then there’s my other half’s surprisingly large collection of tools and diy equipment. :rolleyes:
Yep everything I own I was carrying as no house or storage anywhere else.

I'm trying to minimilise now though and it's actually quite therapeutic

There's still some things I can't part with but I've ditched a lot of stuff I never use

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, you're right the generator might not be something you'd take if travelling in sunshine countries. We have brought ours with us though and have used it a lot.

A generator would be something a fulltimer would probably be well advised to have and allow payload for.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Yep everything I own I was carrying as no house or storage anywhere else.

I'm trying to minimilise now though and it's actually quite therapeutic

There's still some things I can't part with but I've ditched a lot of stuff I never use
We’ve also reduced down as we’ve been on the road - which is why we now fit into a Bürstner Ixeo 680 as opposed to the previous Hobby 750.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Fulltiming, it’s not just ‘camping’ stuff, it’s everything you own, clothes for all climates, paperwork, photos, wills and legal stuff, hoover, extra fans for hot weather, heaters for the cold, snorkelling gear, surfboards, ski boots, suitcases ( for trips away from the van) ....all your nice crockery and cutlery, as well as everyday stuff, the list goes on. Proper fulltiming and living in your van essentially carry everything that anyone else would leave ‘ at home’ . Ok, the things I’ve just listed won’t apply to everyone obviously, but it makes you think!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
So do you not leave anything at all in storage?

I'd imagined that you'd come back and re-stock depending on where you're planning to go... eg, swap surf boards for skis, etc

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
So do you not leave anything at all in storage?

I'd imagined that you'd come back and re-stock depending on where you're planning to go... eg, swap surf boards for skis, etc

The thing is, we don’t ‘come back’ to anywhere to re stock, as we have nowhere to go back to, that’s just the point! We live in the van, that’s it. We stay in Europe full time, returning to the U.K. once per year for an MOT, and nothing more. There’s no point in having storage as long term that ends up costing more than whatever you’re storing is worth, and if you plan to store it, arguably you don’t need it. As for planning where to go, well, as we have no agenda and no timetable, there is no planning, but a lot of spontaneity. I could be bodyboarding in the Algarve one day, and decide to go skiing in the Sierra Nevada the next.
I have no doubt that we could do it with less, and like you say, you could full time with what you have in your van right now, but the point a few of us FT’ers are making is, we generally carry a lot more stuff with us all the time, as it’s all we have and what we do, as opposed to an extended tour where you can leave things at home where you will return to, and take what you need depending on the destination/route of your trip.
We’ve been full time since 2011 ( apart from 18months in an appartment in Spain) and love it. No regrets. It’s a lifestyle we don’t intend to change anytime soon ( except maybe a slight tweak next year ;))

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back