A rookie thinking about fulltiming (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2018
Devon
Funster No
This is my first post, so a big hello to everyone!

I’m hoping to commit myself soon to solo fulltime touring, in the UK and possibly Europe. Having done a lot of research (including reading Jim’s excellent The Motorhome Buyers Guide – yeah, I know, sucking up from the start), there are still a couple of issues I could do with some guidance on.

As background information, I’ll probably buy new, to take advantage of what the 2019 models offer: something that is as future-proofed as possible, e.g. Euro 6 engine, and a lot of spec included as standard.

I’m retired, single, and don’t own any property (I could afford to buy something small, property wise, but then I’d have nothing left to enjoy myself with).

From my research, the priorities would be: a comfortable and spacious lounge area, fixed island bed, separate shower, adequate kitchen, large garage (big enough for a scooter weighing, say, 97kg), plenty of included spec, and quality and price! By the way, I’ve just reapplied for C! entitlement, which I relinquished last year (I’m thinking about payload, not necessarily the biggest, longest, widest vehicle ever).

As a rough idea of what’s caught my eye so far, there’s Benimar’s Tessoro 497, Auto-Trail Delaware HB (low profile), and a couple of the new Hymers (however, despite the latter’s perceived build quality and the appeal of their marriage with Mercedes, I reckon that high prices and a lack of included spec – not to mention limited lounge space – would rule them out). There’s a couple of immediate questions arising from this:

- Does anyone have first-hand experience with the Benimar/Tessoro brand (e.g. build quality, reliability, comfort and practicality)?

- Auto-Trail seems to come in for a bit of stick from some of you guys, but I wonder if this is always fair and are there any good news stories out there – the 2019 Delaware HB (low profile), first impressions, looks a good fit. One concern is that Auto-Trail’s 2018 warranty (I haven’t seen the 2019 one) seems weighted against people who live fulltime in their motorhome as if it were their home (though I would be fulltime touring, of course) and to do so would invalidate the warranty. It’s almost as if they’re saying, we’ve built a luxurious motorhome, with fabulous quality, and it’s built to last, but please don’t ever use it! Would a contract with Marquis, as dealer, be a way round this potential problem?

- The consensus seems to be that the new Ford and Mercedes engines easily pass muster. But what about Fiat? Are their current/new versions up to the mark and equal to the task? I’d probably go for an automatic and see that the vast majority of you, when the issue has been raised before, would echo that.

- This one may raise a smile. In view of my age (I’m still fairly active, mind) and solo status, would an automated hydraulic levelling system be a sound investment? I know they’re expensive but the benefits and practicalities for someone in my position seem appealing. There are also the added security and reduced insurance to consider, and I gather they can be transferred to another vehicle. I’ve asked around locally (Devon) and some say they’re a bit of an extravagance. So, do any of you have first-hand experience of them?

- Finally, would fitting an LPG refillable tank be a good idea?

That’s it for now. I should add that I’m hoping to make it to the NEC. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rookie Phil

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
A few things to consider, full-time includes winter so you would need/like a winterised van and continentals do it better then English vans....
If you buy new you lose sooo much money driving it off the forecourt only to discover the lifestyle is not for you, plus you would be going back to the dealership to get all the niggles and warranty issues sorted many times throughout the year..

I would seriously re-think new and look at newish models and save thousands and most issues have been sorted and done...

Lpg tank/refillables in my view would be a must have for full time and continental touring, less hassle and cheeper in the long run for full timers...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Welcome. My first point is why you need an island bed? A french bed or bed over a garage would also be ok as you wouldn't have someome to climb over!

Would also say it's worth going for a merc based auto vehicle.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I also think you should look for a newish used van all the gremlins should have been sent packing by the first owner and a lot of people buy new then find they either don’t like the lay out or the way of life!
It’s a lot of money to tie up in a new van just to find the van isn’t up to it or you don’t like it.
If the van is too big you may find problems with small roads and some campsites don’t take big vans.
Move to America and buy a big RV!:D

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I full timed for almost 2 years, the first 9 months were unplanned.
I had an older Benimar with a fixed bed, not an island bed, it wasn on one side. For full timing it's an excellent idea, no building your bed every night.
I was very comfortable living in it, though I stayed mostly on sites so had EHU and plenty of heating included.
Try out lots of vehicles, sit on the seats, in the driving seat, try the shower room for size. Look at storage space, imagine how you'd cook what you want.
Best advice I read on here was to imagine you're stuck in the van for 24 hours solid, would you have enough space to stretch out, cook, watch TV etc...
Go to a large showroom and try out a few vans for size, the worst thing you can do is have a fixed idea of what you want and buy that without looking at all the variations. I'd look at recent second hand models rather than lose do much money on new.
Refillable tanks and automatic levelling can be fitted to any vehicle so take your time finding what is right for you.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I haven’t looked at motorhomes with a fixed island bed, but I would expect that they would have limited garage space beneath. The largest garages tend to have a transverse double bed above. We have a French bed and this has a “half” garage under which would entail taking the wheels off a bicycle in order to fit. A full garage is going to be needed for a scooter.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
This is your second post... didn't you post an identical one yesterday afternoon?

Anyway - I'll post what I wrote in response to your first post below....

It is customary here when to getting a replies to one's post to respond to them or at least acknowledge them. Its not on to ignore replies and post an identical message again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response to your first post...

Hello and welcome Phil :)

I can't help you with the specific motorhomes you mention I'm afraid but if you're going to the NEC that's a very good place to have a good look at what's on offer. If you like Hymers you might take a look at Niesmann & Bischoff - they're part of the Hymer Group and are their top of the range manufacturer.

If you're full timing you might want to check that any vehicle you're interested in is fully winterised. You don't want to be lacking in insulation, especially if you're travelling in Europe.

We have an LPG tank and hydraulic levelling system... I can highly recommend both. I've not heard about increased security and lower insurance premiums related to them though.

One thing I would recommend is that you take a look at the dealership reviews on the forum. I think whatever the motorhome you'll have things that fail to work properly and you need good aftersales backup. Some dealers are absolutely dreadful (speaking from experience). It pays to know beforehand who the bad dealers are.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I echo everything said above. My picking list for full timing would be:
Find a good used Euro 5 to keep away from the magic cats pee. If you are handy you can do your own servicing and keep away from the dealers completely.
5 tonne with loads of payload, you will collect a lot of toys and the scooter in the back it would be better with it.
Refillable's essential.
Continental build for properly winterised comfort. UK just can't build properly in my experience.
Island bed and a big garage don't go together also the island bed takes up far to much room probably half and you only sleep in it.
So unless you envisage a lot of night time visitors :rolleyes: or have restricted mobility go for an over garage bed or good drop down (electric).
Plenty of leisure batteries and as much solar with a good MPPT controller and depending on your pocket a Gasperini type onboard genie or an EFOY. See the need for 5 tonne? The sun does not always shine.
As you are on your own the jacks would be nice but not essential. I would love them but I am on the weight limit now we have a scooter.
Very good twin reversing camera and a front camera or two as you will not have a co-pilot for those difficult spaces that will bite you in the b..m.
NOW the biggie, if the Brexit result is bad, for us, "travellers" that is, overseas travel in Shengen will be limited to three months in and three months out so factor that in or wait till March before deciding on your new life, unless you have an Irish passport or can get one.
Welcome to the forum and update this thread as you get to a decision.
Steve
Forgot to say, as soon as you get it down to @eddievanbitz to get a Growler fitted and don't skimp cover all doors and windows (that needs the radio option) expensive but worth it and if pre booked Eddie gives 10% discount to Funsters.

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Phil and welcome from another fulltimer (7 years +). You’ve already been given a lot of useful pointers so I can really only echo other posts in this thread. I would not be looking at a brand new van - a newish used vehicle will be much more sensibly priced and should have had any teething problems sorted out. You don’t want to move into a van full time and then have to live in it on a dealer’s forecourt for the next few months! Also some of the items on your wish list like refillable gas tank/cylinders and a levelling system may already have been added by the previous owner. Our current van has a levelling system but only because I bought it with one already fitted - otherwise that would not be a priority. However, a refillable gas system is an essential in my book.

Re winter use in the UK - a German van will be properly winterised with onboard tanks and pipework and generally a double floor. British van manufacturers have never taken the winterisation business seriously. Don’t know anything about Benimars other than that they’re Spanish.

If I was on my own an island bed would not be high on my list as there is a lot of wasted space around them. My first van had a transverse bed over garage, second had a French bed, current one has a drop down bed over lounge.

Good luck with your adventure! :)

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Full timing sounds idillic in the right van. For me I think it would mean aquiring something the size of an American RV. Not to put a downer on it but what happens when you get ill. I managed to get a blood disorder that requires me an injection weekly of expensive drugs - £1000 per week for the rest of my life - how do you handle that? Even if I moved from my current address I might have issues with what would then be my local PCT. Private Healthcare wouldn't cover the cost by the way - suprise, suprise! Worth thinking about?

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us. You seem to have done your homework and have a list of your requirements. Have you thought about buying a van and then having it professionally converted? That way you could specify exactly what insulation, heating, bed position etc that you wanted rather than accepting the compromise of a ready-made motorhome.

OP
OP
R
Apr 26, 2018
Devon
Funster No
Thanks everyone! I'll try to respond individually to some of you in due course.

I seem to have upset Southdowners, who have provided some very useful advice, because I didn't respond instantly to their post. They also thought it was not on to 'post an identical message again'. I'd assumed that by posting in both Full Timers and Motorhome Help for the Beginner I'd cover all my bases - indeed, the Full Timers post has brought more replies than my first post in Motorhome help for the Beginner.

But, CRUCIALLY, would some kind soul please let me know how to respond to an individual post, within a thread, because I haven't got a clue!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
BTW, I'll have a perfect full timing van available for sale in the new year, Carthago Chic S plus 2010 on a merc;)

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
But, CRUCIALLY, would some kind soul please let me know how to respond to an individual post, within a thread, because I haven't got a clue!

If you highlight the section you want to respond to, it shows up as "quote", and then answer in your dialogue box that seems to work. There are other ways like private messaging but think this is what you wanted?

Good luck

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
:welco:

Apart from being the other end of the country - you might find @Northernraider van to be an excellent buy for what you propose...
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/frankia-i840bd-luxury-class-2008.180561/

If you read his [long - 290+ pages] thread;
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/tam-jade-and-frankys-european-adventure.167315/
...you'll get an idea of what it's like to live in a van full-time, and how well this particular van has been maintained & looked after.
Thanks for that ...actually I've spent today fixing the only 2 non mechanical issues I've had in 13 months of fulltime use in my van.

That was one side marker light replaced , and the catch for holding the habitation door open which I broke :p

My van actually has the best design fixed bed garage you can get ....its a huge garage that can hold a scooter plus bikes etc. But When you take the scooter out and lie the bike on its side you can lower the bed down to sofa level and still have a huge garage.

Like this
IMG_2018-10-04_16-15-57.JPG
20181003_123554.jpg

For fulltiming it's very handy I have to say

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
We are on our second van, and we don't full time. A couple of observations I would make are:
  • As others have said the continentals insulate better than the British
  • Buying a 2019 continental van is going to cost a LOT more than a 2018 van that a dealer will have ordered and paid for in 2017 - taking delivery this year - the 15% change in the £ / euro will see to that.
  • Cannot give an actual figure as we part exchanged our old van but I reckon we got over a 10% discount on this years price, which with the change in price next year will be nearly 25% on 2019 prices.
  • There are a lot of vans on forecourts now - I knew what I wanted and asked five Hymer dealers for prices - three responded with competitive offers.
  • Don't wait until the NEC show - the dealers know they can shift old stock there without a big discount - act now. Otherwise buy a forecourt model AFTER the show.
Best of luck.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks everyone! I'll try to respond individually to some of you in due course.

I seem to have upset Southdowners, who have provided some very useful advice, because I didn't respond instantly to their post. They also thought it was not on to 'post an identical message again'. I'd assumed that by posting in both Full Timers and Motorhome Help for the Beginner I'd cover all my bases - indeed, the Full Timers post has brought more replies than my first post in Motorhome help for the Beginner.

No, that's not what I said. I didn't say I expected an 'instant' response.

What I said was that I felt is wasn't a particularly good idea to post a thread and follow up with an identical thread.

I for one felt you'd ignored the posts on your first thread. However, despite this, I was helpful enough to copy my post for you to read on your new thread.

If you want to respond to a particular post in a thread go to the message you wish to respond to and click 'quote' (bottom right corner). The quoted post will appear in the response box. You then type your reply below it.

By the way, I mentioned Niesmann & Bischoff vehicles and CazPaul has posted on the forum about a N&B Flair which is going for sale very cheaply. It might not be what you want eventually but many people find they change vehicles very quickly after buying their first one or two simply because they don't like the layout. It would give you the opportunity to get used to one which you'd more than likely be able to sell on with no financial loss.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Welcome to the 'fun house'! :D

Right, down to business ... please do NOT get a new MH ... the chances are that you'll find it doesn't meet your needs as even experienced MHers sometimes change as they realise they'e got the wrong layout and in the meantime you'll have spent a lot of money buying it and putting on all the extras you need (which won't really add value) so could lose quite a chunk of money if you change it.

Better to buy a good second had one of the layout that you think you need and then you will likely get the extras already fitted and save a lot of dosh. If you still want something newer once you have confirmed what you definitely want, and have bought your first one carefully, you could end up getting all of your original outlay back. Oh, I'd stay clear of island bed versions, they tend to restrict the garage space quite a bit and also add unnecessary length to a MH if you're a solo traveller.

Also look into full-timing insurance as its a lot dearer than 'holiday time' insurance, regardless of touring etc, you will STILL be living in it as your permanent home so you can't fudge that.

Also, think about your licence - if you do get your C1 back all well and good but if you have to give it up again/have it removed in the future you'll be left with a MH you cannot drive, and as it would be your home you'd be in a real predicament.

OP
OP
R
Apr 26, 2018
Devon
Funster No
We have an LPG tank and hydraulic levelling system... I can highly recommend both.

Thanks for your posts. I'll certainly look at the B&Cs, at both ends of the scale.

Regarding the hydraulic levelling system, what sort of impact does it have on battery levels? I guess it would depend on usage, but a general impression would be good. And, would you recommend regular levellers as a backup?

Phil

OP
OP
R
Apr 26, 2018
Devon
Funster No
Welcome. My first point is why you need an island bed? A french bed or bed over a garage would also be ok as you wouldn't have someome to climb over!

Would also say it's worth going for a merc based auto vehicle.

Thanks guys!

I'd prefer a fixed island bed because I'd like access both sides (for medical reasons - I'll explain another time). I'm looking for one over a garage, large enough to take a scooter. Some of them (the beds) can be raised or lowered. You get the best of both worlds - a fixed bed and a large garage.

Appreciate the merc advice.

Phil

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Phil, do bear in mind that if you raise the bed up it could make it difficult to get in/out which may or may not be pertinent to your medical situation.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for your posts. I'll certainly look at the B&Cs, at both ends of the scale.

Regarding the hydraulic levelling system, what sort of impact does it have on battery levels? I guess it would depend on usage, but a general impression would be good. And, would you recommend regular levellers as a backup?

Phil

Negligible... nothing like as much as for my hairdryer!! :D

No never use regular levellers. It takes less than a minute to level the vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back