A Quickie for frustrated Funsters (2 Viewers)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi folks here is a quickie question. I’ve just filled my water from empty and boiler with cleaning chemical which is suitable for stainless steel boilers.

I’ve run the taps to clear any air and now it’s sitting there with a full tank of water and taps closed.

My question is do I need to run the boiler and heat the water in it, there is no mention of this in the instructions but seem to remember reading it somewhere.

The other simple question is when I come to drain the water do I just open the tank drain cock and boiler drain or run it down through the taps, or a bit of both?

Many Thanks Tony

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That first sentence could be considered an inappropriate comment given the pampas grass thread currently running !

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
... and the last question ... open all taps as well ... means it twice as fast draining plus any water in pipes will come out and not freeze ... but remember to turn taps off if pump still switched on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
That first sentence could be considered an inappropriate comment given the pampas grass thread currently running !
Hi Figaro not sure what you mean but not to upset anyone I've changed the first sentence.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Figaro can you please post a link to the thread you are talking about so I can understand what I might of done wrong.
Many Thanks Tony

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Figaro can you please post a link to the thread you are talking about so I can understand what I might of done wrong.
Many Thanks Tony

You have done nothing wrong. Figaro is joking .. about a thread and quickies in laybys.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
so I can understand what I might of done wrong.

Nothing at all, Figaro could have made it plainer he was joking or provided a link. :)

Meanwhile I wouldn't heat the boiler, just run the taps when its time to drain down, You will have a low drain tap for your fresh water, check your handbook to discover it. That will ensure everything is out, you should then flush it a few times incase there is any residual. (y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@movan right, just a joke, I can't post a link on phone but scroll down through Recent and look for a title thread called pampas grass.
Very enlightening !

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I don't know what you have used but I use white wine vinigar and always heat the boiler as it is a lot more active when hot.
Hi Lenny
I used something called Puriclean which is a powder and was recomended to me by a friend, my friend said it works well and leaves no after taste an he uses it every time he cleans his system.
Best Wishes Tony

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I think the puriclean you talk of is for stored water cleaning. Not to be confused with boiler descaler.

You should draw the product through your drinking water pipes. It won't do any harm drawing it through all the pipes.

I would draw the whole tank through the pipes and then draw a tank of fresh through to rinse.

It may also be a good idea to fill with fresh and drive to slosh around, before draining

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you are desacaling then Truma recommends five litres of water with five litres of white wine vinegar poured into the fresh water tank and that this mixture is then run into the boiler. The water should then be heated up to the maximum temperature then allowed to cool down again before you do a couple of thorough rinses (y)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I think the puriclean you talk of is for stored water cleaning.
/QUOTE]

Puriclean cleans and sterilizes

Aquaclean keeps your stored water fresh

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you are desacaling then Truma recommends five litres of water with five litres of white wine vinegar poured into the fresh water tank and that this mixture is then run into the boiler. The water should then be heated up to the maximum temperature then allowed to cool down again before you do a couple of thorough rinses (y)
Would 10 litres of solution be enough for the boiler to work? Wouldn't 5 litres of white vinegar be expensive?

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you are desacaling then Truma recommends five litres of water with five litres of white wine vinegar poured into the fresh water tank and that this mixture is then run into the boiler. The water should then be heated up to the maximum temperature then allowed to cool down again before you do a couple of thorough rinses
Hi Jim that looks like it's my next job then, now to look for 5ltrs of white wine vinigar. perhaps as EX51SSS is saying I might need more liquid to do this!
Many Thanks Tony

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Would 10 litres of solution be enough for the boiler to work? Wouldn't 5 litres of white vinegar be expensive?

I've never bought any or descaled a boiler, I'd have thought you'd get the vinegar for less than a tenner

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've never bought any or descaled a boiler, I'd have thought you'd get the vinegar for less than a tenner
Ah right. I'll see if I can find out the sort of minimum amount of water I'd need in the tank. Thanks Jim

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You have done nothing wrong. Figaro is joking .. about a thread and quickies in laybys.
Quickies in laybys and old boilers, is their a link here somewhere....:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny
I used something called Puriclean which is a powder and was recomended to me by a friend, my friend said it works well and leaves no after taste an he uses it every time he cleans his system.
Best Wishes Tony
I think Puriclean contains choline so should not be used in a Truma boiler.

HOW MUCH!! 30 cents a litre in French supermarkets, always stock up when over the water.

I now understand Truma recommend citric acid rather than white vinegar.
Truma used to recommend white wine vinegar but since they bought out their own product they now recommend that.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I think Puriclean contains choline so should not be used in a Truma boiler.
Hi Lenny found this on their site.
Is chlorine dioxide a chlorine?
Chlorine dioxide is not another form of chlorine the two compounds are completely different.
Chlorine dioxide has “no elemental free chlorine” and can be used to eradicate the taste and odour of chlorine. It has world-wide approval for drinking water, high efficacy against bacteria, fungi, yeasts, algae and protozoa. It has little or no effect on human, animal or fish cells.
PURICLEAN CAN BE USED IN ALL WATER SYSTEMS INCLUDING THOSE WITH STAINLESS STEEL BOILERS
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Now here's a question.
I cleaned out the fresh water tank with Puriclean, this morning I started to drain it down closing off the waste water tap as I thought I could fill the waste tank up and clean that tank as well.
So I drained the remaining fresh water tank and the boiler drawing most of it through the taps, a bit of crap came out but nothing much.
I closed the fresh water drain and the boiler drain and refilled the tank with fresh water and drew some fresh through the taps and the boiler. I then went for a drive to dissolve any residual Puriclean in the fresh water tank and also give the full waste tank a shake about.
When I got back I started to drain the fresh water tank through the taps, to my surprise it looked like grimy river water,
I continued draining through the taps hoping the situation would clear itself, it did not.
I'm going to give the MH fresh water tank another cleaning tomorrow and hope that sorts it out.
Is there any possible way waste water could get into the fresh water tank, remember When I drained the fresh water tank I filled the waste water tank to the top to give it a clean.
I know it sounds strange but that is what I think has happened by me filling the waste water tank to overflowing.
Anyone know if these tanks are speparate or one tank devided, and are they metal or plastic.
Any offers?
Best Wishes Tony

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
H
aving a swinging time then.

The heater will make the system cleaner a lot more active than plain cold water. but do not just leave it in for a long period or it will settle in places you do not want it to.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Thanks Movan
the last thing I want to do is upset someone, everybody nowadays seem to sensitive and quick to get upset at the least little thing.

Anyway thank. Tony
They are not upset they just have funny habits, you should try a wind up if you want to see them rise to the bait. Hence the fishing imoji.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back