Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Hope some of you never park within many miles of a farm, it's only a bit of poo .... ah the blessed aromas of nature (y)(y).

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Farms smell of herbivore manure which, apart from spreading on fields isn't too bad.
Also, good idea no3 you can use dried cow pats as frisbee's.
Your sog smells of last night's real ale and lamb bhuna. Onion bhaji and garlic naan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As the aroma generated by my use of the smallest room is so pleasantly fragrant, surely it would be selfish of me not to share it out?

Isn't that what the Smelly Old Gadgets do

JJ :cool:

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Some toilets on some vans being on same side as awning or venting by awning would pong out youre own eating area first so i wonder how many people have ended up in that situation and then regretted it if you got to go you got to go

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
For the UK the cassette is ideal..

Agree 100%, I wasn’t proposing that black tanks are better

Our black tank came with ours and swapping to cassette is virtually impossible, we do at least have a macerator on the way into the black tank rather than out but agree with you on dump options

I would want a cassette on next MH but would need a lot of convincing to fit a SOG and may not buy one that has one

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The principle of the SOG is that aerobic that is with air, decomposition of the contents produces little or no odour whilst anaerobic, does pong. The well ventilated holding tank on our last boat gave of very little odour with no filter on the vent. I suspect the reason some SOGs smell is that for some reason they admit too little air.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Agree 100%, I wasn’t proposing that black tanks are better

Our black tank came with ours and swapping to cassette is virtually impossible, we do at least have a macerator on the way into the black tank rather than out but agree with you on dump options

I would want a cassette on next MH but would need a lot of convincing to fit a SOG and may not buy one that has one
Thats interesting David as not many people say that they would go back to cassette after having a black tank, I would have SOG again ours gets a sniff test outside:D2 when its running and gets a new filter if it fails(y)

Martin

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Some toilets on some vans being on same side as awning or venting by awning would pong out youre own eating area first so i wonder how many people have ended up in that situation and then regretted it if you got to go you got to go

Ours is on the same side as the awning .... but ..... our S**T don't smell ... much ... so there ... we usually only use ours for a midnight wee unless caught short or the loo's on a site being wholly unacceptable. With a dash of laundry stuff, just a tad, it smells rather nice really.

Clean bottoms everyone

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I am really impressed with The SOG unit on our Carthago, it vents up through the roof and there is no in line filter, great system I think.
In fact, I wish I had one at home, save opening windows or having "give that 10 minutes" Ect.:D
Les

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
In all honesty soil stacks vent above roofs irrespective whether bungalow or house untreated so would imagine roof vent as people have suggested is probably a good idea

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We parked next to one with SOG at Canterbury. Thought we were next to a pig farm. Perhaps it needed a filter change or something but it certainly stank to high heaven.
not funny, I always look for signs of a sog before chosing a pitch after waking up almost tasting the next doors waste. know it doesn't have to be that way as we have parked next to friends with one. wouldn't consider one as our toilet is same side as the awning.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Luckily for me I am allergic to awnings (y)

OP
OP
D
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
I have had another look at my unit.

There is a vent connection on the top face of the white tray the cassette slides into (the one with the sponge ring). underneath this there is a corrugated pipe that runs down to the underside of the van.

I presume that this is a std fitting to prevent 'blow offs' from bacterial activity inside the cassette.

Could a pump / fan not be fitted to this?

Its only approx 15mm diameter though.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Thats interesting David as not many people say that they would go back to cassette after having a black tank, I would have SOG again ours gets a sniff test outside:D2 when its running and gets a new filter if it fails(y)

Martin
We have had 2 vans with black tanks, one was a Laika and the other a Winnebago, cassette toilets are the work of the devil and in my opinion totally useless on any motorhome .
Given the choice I would have liked a marine toilet again,as our cassette is full in a day if not moving.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have had 2 vans with black tanks, one was a Laika and the other a Winnebago, cassette toilets are the work of the devil and in my opinion totally useless on any motorhome .
Given the choice I would have liked a marine toilet again,as our cassette is full in a day if not moving.
That's also interesting, we usually get 2-3 days out of the cassette with two of us depending how much we use other facilities in shops cafe's etc, I can see the merit in both systems TBH.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
n

Martin

I am probably biased due to issues we are having

An earlier owner or even maybe when made, but we suspect the fitter of the status aerial, cut through the roof mounted vent to shorten it, then never reconnected the vent hose, so we had our vent behind the wardrobe somewhere, awful smell sometimes, we did fix this (well Terry did (y)) but the aroma memory lives on

we then had an issue with the pre black tank macerator connection, only a small weep leak but unseen and enough to really stink, also found that it runs quite a long way on vinyl covered floor o_O even a little liquid goes a long way

I like the idea of 2 x cassettes with proper storage as a few MH's now have, we actually carry a cassette in an outside locker, as yet still unused, so we could in emergency decant the black tank if parked up for a long time, or the dump point is at high level.

We have a manhole right by our home parking place for our MH so very lucky there. Plus when checking on sites we have found that virtually all drive over waste points are for combined waste, linking to the elsan dump points in all bar a very few cases, so low level dumping generally not too much of an issue for us

Last edited:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I am probably biased due to issues we are having

An earlier owner or even maybe when made, but we suspect the fitted of the status aerial, cut through the roof mounted vent to shorten it, the never reconnected the vent hose, so we had our vent behind the wardrobe somewhere, awful smell sometimes, we did fix this (well Terry did (y)) but the aroma memory lives on

we then had an issue with the pre black tank macerator connection, only a small weep leak but enough to really stink, also found that it runs quite a long way on vinyl covered floor o_O even a little liquid goes a long way

I like the idea of 2 x cassettes with proper storage as a few MH's now have, we actually carry a cassette in an outside locker, as yet still unused, so we could in emergency decant the black tank if parked up for a long time, or the dump point is at high level.

We have a manhole right by our home parking place for our MH so very lucky there. Plus when checking on sites we have found that virtually all drive over waste points are for combined waste, linking to the elsan dump points in all bar a very few cases, so low level dumping generally not too much of an issue for us
Neither of our vans with black tanks had a macerator fitted, we did buy a macerator to use on the rv in case of emergencies and only used it once at a mates where we pumped it into a hole we dug in woods.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
That's also interesting, we usually get 2-3 days out of the cassette with two of us depending how much we use other facilities in shops cafe's etc, I can see the merit in both systems TBH.

Martin
Luckily I am allergic to shops and cafes, it really upsets me buying drinks out as I prefer my own tea (y)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I have had another look at my unit.

There is a vent connection on the top face of the white tray the cassette slides into (the one with the sponge ring). underneath this there is a corrugated pipe that runs down to the underside of the van.

I presume that this is a std fitting to prevent 'blow offs' from bacterial activity inside the cassette.

Could a pump / fan not be fitted to this?

Its only approx 15mm diameter though.
There are 2 types of vent cap on C200 your type does vent pressure under van the other type vents inside locker purely for release of any pressure buildup

Someone will correct me if i'm incorrect but that is my understanding at moment

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What is the normal way then
Either cut a hole in the emptying cap, or in the top of the cassette or depending on the cassette installation can sometimes use the Thetford vent out the bottom of the cassette our last van was like that by far the best solution.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why then for the c200 is a part made to replace the pressure relief valve as fitting sog makes pressure valve redundant.

exactly correct.. the kit comes with a connector piece that replaces the relief valve, no cutting a hole anywhere..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
C200 is an old model not seen it done like that on newer models and must make emptying a pain.

no pain whatsoever.. you pull the cassette out a short way, unplug the SOG pipe and put the plastic bung in.. and off you go.. no pain

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back