A question of GAS Again! (1 Viewer)

J

jonsylv

Deleted User
I said "GAS Again" as I presume its an on going problem?

In Jan 09 two large Autotrail's will set of for Europe (chasing the sun) for the first time with little or no intent of returning until spring or summer.

We both have Red Gas bottles, mine has 2 x 13kgs and our friends has 2 x 6kgs.

What is the simplest way for us to re-fill / exchange while in France, Portugal & Spain?

While in German last year we noted a brass adaptor set for sale, this enabled UK red bottles to be connected to a German Caravan ( a HOBBY caravan). is this what we need or is it sadly more complex than that....

We understandbly want a holiday not a prolonged GAS bottle learning course! :thanks2:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi as far as I know you cannot get propane cyl refilled or exchanged in Europe, however there is an adapter that screws in to the bottle and with a suitable connection (extra but available) can be refilled WITH care by your self at an LPG station. I bought mine from ebay see below
Link Removed
I bought mine from soneone else, not sure if he still has them but quality was supurb and instructions excellent.
Link Removed
A number of different adapters are available to screw into that enabling you to fill in most countries.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi,

personally i would opt for a 'local' gas bottle and regulator if going to europe for that length of time.

the initial cost would be a pain but if you plan on going regularly you only need buy them once.
you just need to know if your van is running at 37mb as i beleive all euro regulators run this pressure.....the older calor ones run 30mb.
it states on your calor regulator what pressure it is.

simply remove the uk regulator and fit the euro one unless you have an auto changeover setup, then you have problems.

no point taking two uk bottles as you cant fill them so you have space in the locker for a euro bottle.

i'v heard you can buy both bottle and regulator at hypermarkets and some filling stations.

john

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Gas

I take 1 x 6kg Propane bottle plus a Camping gaz bottle. This can be exchanged anywhere in Europe and as we go on site every few days we save gas by using electric.Hasn't failed us yet:thumb:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I said "GAS Again" as I presume its an on going problem?

In Jan 09 two large Autotrail's will set of for Europe (chasing the sun) for the first time with little or no intent of returning until spring or summer.

We both have Red Gas bottles, mine has 2 x 13kgs and our friends has 2 x 6kgs.

What is the simplest way for us to re-fill / exchange while in France, Portugal & Spain?

While in German last year we noted a brass adaptor set for sale, this enabled UK red bottles to be connected to a German Caravan ( a HOBBY caravan). is this what we need or is it sadly more complex than that....

We understandbly want a holiday not a prolonged GAS bottle learning course! :thanks2:

Many motorhomers opt for the refillable bottles these days, initial outlay steep but it's peace of mind not to have to worry about running out of gas in a strange country.

Don

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi jonsylv
I agree with Don on this one. We bought a Gaslow some years ago & wouldn't do it any other way now.
If cost is a problem go for one refillable & carry a normal Calor as back up.
We have been able to use this system for the past few years in France, Spain & Portugal. Most years we have returned with the Calor bottle still not empty.
The only problem is in Spain where the fill stations are very few, but Portugal & France have many in the motorway service areas & it's advertised with the fuel prices at the road side.
Have s good trip, we will be around the South as well this winter.

Keith

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi jonsylv
The only safe way to do it is :

Gaslow

OR
Link Removed

The adaptors on Ebay are not safe you have no 80% cut off valve on a Calor bottle I have not seen the adds for a long time but he did put on it. If you over fill the bottle open the bottle and let some out. Wow its up to you, you pays your money and takes your chance. But dont do it near me. Bob.:whatthe:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If one is incapable of ensuring the bottle is empty before you start to fill and also incapeable of reading the gas gauge, paying attention when the 80% limit is reached (The number of litres for different bottle sizes is engraved on the adapter and is already calculated to the 80% so no working out to do) then go for exchangeable bottles. Maybe also you should get someone else to fill your car fuel tank whilst you are at it.)Gaslow are not without problems and have had problems with the safety valves.

I am sick and tired of people rubbishing a darn good system because they have no idea about it at all. I have no connection with any firm making or selling the things only a satisfied customer who still has enough common sense to use the thing properly. All gas and fuels are potentially dangerous and must be handled with due care and concideration.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I think nowadays the gaslow system for the length of time you intend to be away will cure most problems.

Quite easy to fit yourself and can be basically filled up in any garage in the continent. You can check that the adaptors used in the countries you are going to are the same as here in the uk.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi jonsylv
The only safe way to do it is :

Gaslow

OR
Link Removed

The adaptors on Ebay are not safe you have no 80% cut off valve on a Calor bottle I have not seen the adds for a long time but he did put on it. If you over fill the bottle open the bottle and let some out. Wow its up to you, you pays your money and takes your chance. But dont do it near me. Bob.:whatthe:
Hi Bobandjane,I am with wildman on this!!!!! the adapters are easy to use and nothing to go wrong --- unlike the gaslow----see some of the storys about things leaking,loss of gas etc, If you stick to filling empty bottles ie 6kg bottle holds 12 ltrs of gas etc then you will not overfill !!! if you cannot work out that a 4kg bottle holds 8 ltrs of gas then perhaps you should pay 400 quid plus for a gaslow system that comes with sticking floats etc :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
heres alink to the adapters :thumb:
Link Removed
terry

Jul 27, 2007
West Yorks occasionally
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2007
Has anybody had any problems using these ebay adaptors on garage forecourts?
Knowing how twitchy attendants can be over things like mobile phones and the correct colour of fuel cans, I would imagine they would go ape over lumps of weird piping sticking out of gas bottles. :whatthe:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi,I have used it all over the country no problem.Having said that I do fit it to the empty bottle before going onto the forecort,then just open gas locker door, connect and fill.At my local garage and morrisons I have fiiled 1 then reconnected to another bottle and filled that also,without problem. :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry
edit no weired piping just the adapter conected to the bottle to which you conect the filling pump

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I haven't had any problems with Gaslow, but I have the new bottles which have resolved some of the issues with the old ones.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back