Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I have a question re the Amps found at the EHU post.

Is there a methodology to ascertain how many amps are available out of the EHU post without switching on progressively higher amperes until the fuse trips. I appreciate that in many instances the Amperes are advertised but not in all.

If it can be done with the help of a multimeter I would be happy to have a go on site.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Look at the circuit breaker?

Ask at reception wherever you are staying?

If you can’t do that then usually in the UK,especially on the big two stalags, you can safely assume 16A.

Outside the UK it could be as low as 5A.

There is no way to guess or work it out. Look at the breaker or ask are your only options.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you can see the BREAKER on the ehu post
It should have C6 or C10 or C16 printed on it.
The C may be a B depending on the trip curve but it's the number which denotes the amps..6..10 or 16.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
sometimes in UK it is only 3amps

That would be extremely unusual. 3amp breakers aren't generally commercially available anymore in the UK. It's also very difficult to produce design calculations for something like a caravan site where a 3 amp breaker would be anywhere close to acceptable.

Outside the UK I'll take your word for it.(y)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you can see the BREAKER on the ehu post
It should have C6 or C10 or C16 printed on it.

Just make sure you don't confuse the breaker (MCB) with the RCD (shock protection), which may have quite a high max amp rating, like 20 or 40 amps amps. The breaker is the fella that decides the amperage trip.

By measurement, the progressive increase method is really the only way. A bit like the famous recipe for perfect toast: grill the bread until it burns, then 20 seconds less!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When sine waves go digital the maximum available amperage could be coded into them ;)
I'll get me coat.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
When it comes to amps there is no question in my mind - it has to be Marshall!

marshall.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi All,

I have a question re the Amps found at the EHU post.

Is there a methodology to ascertain how many amps are available out of the EHU post without switching on progressively higher amperes until the fuse trips. I appreciate that in many instances the Amperes are advertised but not in all.

If it can be done with the help of a multimeter I would be happy to have a go on site.
Not often we use hookup, but it wouldn't have crossed my mind, why does it matter?

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Err ask site owner what amps his/her leckie is?

@Munchie
Err???
What about Aires, (you know that are in, err, France where you err, live???) and the like when there is no 'Site Owner.'

And before you say, 'Only for an hour', I know where there are Aires in France that are available full time. In addition, there are loads of sites where the 'Site Owner' is not available.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not often we use hookup, but it wouldn't have crossed my mind, why does it matter?

Because, I have come across EHU that do not self set. Therefore the question.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Does your Control Panel show what the input amps are? Some do, some don't.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine does but don't really help the op as you would still have to turn things on till it trips though I suppose you would then know roughly what it trips at.
Not always a good idea as sometime you have to call out the site operator to reset the trip.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Is there a methodology to ascertain how many amps are available out of the EHU post without switching on progressively higher amperes until the fuse trips.
The simple answer is, no. Unless you can get a look at the label on the breaker.

Some of the boxes are for weather protection only, not security. They can be opened with a 'key' that is triangular or maybe other shapes. A utility box key is always a handy thing to keep in the toolbox.

If the box is locked, the door may be a bit flexible, and you may be able to bend it enough to read the breaker label with a torch.

I've not actually tried the following, but maybe you could use one of those 'inspection cameras', endoscope-style imaging gadgets, to look inside the box. If you have one in your work toolbox. Probably not worth buying one just for this purpose, though.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cic2410-lcd-inspection-camera-with-9mm-/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back