A question for the Karcher window vac owners (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I've been looking at the ever-widening range of Karcher window vacs lately and there's one thing putting me off taking the plunge.

Can anyone tell me if they can be used upside down?

For example, if I were to use this on the windscreen in my van I think I'd probably get about 3/4 the way down the screen before the bottom of the vac then hits the top of the dashboard and prevents me going any further.

With this in mind, can I turn it upside down and go up, from the bottom of the screen? Or will the collected water just leak out? (n)

Thanks in advance (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I use mine in all directions but when operating horizontally it sprays water through the motor, so I wrap the motor end in kitchen roll before starting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I do a sweep across the bottom of the screen with the Karcher at ninty degrees before doing the vertical sweeps.

If I do the vertical sweeps first, the water in the reservoir will splutter out when I do the horizontal sweep.

They are fantastically effective at removing water from the screen.

Ian

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Mine won't work upside down. I don't think any would. They were designed to clean windows rather than (motorhome) windscreens. They will work at 90°, though.
If the reservoir is not vertical, it will drip as it fills.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Our sprays water out of the motor vents so not the best.
If they made an adapter so the blade was on a flexible pipe that would work well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ours splutters if we turn it too much, or try to use it horizontally after it's got a fair bit of water in but we've found the best way to stop the splutter getting everywhere is to get some cheap cotton trainer socks and put one on it as a 'nappy', they fit perfectly and don't take long to dry. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our sprays water out of the motor vents so not the best.
If they made an adapter so the blade was on a flexible pipe that would work well.
Funnily enough, that's what I thought too and did have a shuftie a while back to see if I could 'adapt' ours but alas not possible.

Aug 28, 2013
luton
Funster No
MH
Elddis Acardo 125
Exp
mine early one burnt out after using it upside down after water got into the electrics.Now I make sure I don't go past horizontal. still great for Cleaning windscreen and shower room.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I've been looking at the ever-widening range of Karcher window vacs lately and there's one thing putting me off taking the plunge.

For example, if I were to use this on the windscreen in my van I think I'd probably get about 3/4 the way down the screen before the bottom of the vac then hits the top of the dashboard and prevents me going any further.

With this in mind, can I turn it upside down and go up, from the bottom of the screen? Or will the collected water just leak out? (n)

Thanks in advance (y)
Get a Leifheit, they dont leak, can be used at any angle, only slight drawback is they are bigger than the Krapchers

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Karcher do make a 'wet & dry'. Just need somewhere to store it.
This should do the job:-
d0.jpg

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You can use a cloth in all directions, it never needs charging, is lighter, takes up less room and is much cheaper :imoutahere:
Doesn’t leave a dry windscreen easily though!
We use a Karcher and have done for years. If you use it upside down to clear the bottom of the windscreen, empty it after each sweep then no water will get in the motor
It’s also useful to dry the shower walls and screen.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I always use the Karcher horizontally on the inside becauseof the curveoon my A class windscreen. It does leave a few drips on the dashboard but I just wipe up with a bit of kitchen towel.

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies!

Well, nearly all, Clarky, I might need to buy a trailer to go with this one :ROFLMAO:

This should do the job:-
d0-jpg.265478

Also, thanks too for the suggestion re drying the washroom with it, I hadn't thought of that!

So I think I'm pretty much sold - thank again everyone :)

Horizontal sweep across the bottom first, then the rest of the window upright (y)

I saw an anniversary edition advertised on TV (which is how this all came about) but I'm always a little wary of something new. I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broke" product designs!

I'm now off to look around online for some deals (y)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
The anniversary one has the switch on the outside, ours is the previous model and you can catch it very easily and it switches off, bit of a nuisance . Shouldn't happen with the new one so an improvement that works.....
Cheers, Dave(y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The newer ones don’t leak anywhere near as much when horizontal even if part full, in fact barely a drip

We have one of each due to me losing the charging lead on the first o_O

Last edited:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Upside down OK if tank is empty - but on our A class best to best to swipe 2 tranches horizontally at bottom of the screen then use vertical as normal!! :)
Great bit of kit!! :)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Ours is fine upside down only ever leaked upside down when the water tank was full.
My Krapcher leaks at any angle over vertical, POS IMHO, the Leifheit never leaks regardless of angle or how full tank is. I have a Krapcher for sale if anyone would like to enjoy the full 'suck it off the screen and spray it over the dash' experience??

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Love all the ' well it only leaks if its this angle or if the tank is this full' comments. I take it you all apply the same logic to buying a vacuum cleaner? It doesn't dump the dust back on the carpet if you use it at a 45 degree angle... ???!!! No? Thought not.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Love all the ' well it only leaks if its this angle or if the tank is this full' comments. I take it you all apply the same logic to buying a vacuum cleaner? It doesn't dump the dust back on the carpet if you use it at a 45 degree angle... ???!!! No? Thought not.
... but dust isn't liquid is it ...

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
I never knew these things existed before I read this thread. The bi-fold doors at the rear of the shack are horrible to clean. They look spotless but when the sun is low in the sky every smear is seen. I invested in a Bosch glassvac. Used today for the first time. Works a treat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back