A Query For Scientific Funsters (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just had a couple of days at the beach and I noticed that the flames on my cooker were burning with a fair amount of yellow in them.

Definitely not normal.

Back at my little piece of Paradise in the hills and the flames are now a beautiful blue colour.

At the seaside I was practically at sea level but here at Quinta Majay I am 1,280 feet above sea level.

I wonder if the change in air pressure upsets my gas regulator?

What do you brainy folk think?

JJ :cool:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Theirs less oxygen in the air, that's causing the difference I think.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Theirs less oxygen in the air, that's causing the difference I think.
But less oxygen will produce a yellow flame.
Think oxy-acetalene gas welder....just gas and a yellow flame...introduce oxygen and get a blue flame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well I got CSE grade 3 chemistry, so in my opinion it must be connected to getting sand in the gas, hence the yellow flame.(y)

Funnily enough my initials are CSE, which I think worried my parents when I was supposed to be doing O levels.

Mar 27, 2016
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 408
Exp
Since 2016
Salt in the air ? Try sprinkling salt on your flame now you are back home and see if it burns yellow . Does it at home if I spill it

Reactions: JJ

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I have noticed this strange phenomenon during our travels through Spain, including the pan supports sooting up. At first we put it down to some dodgy GLP and then one day it was burning nice a blue again.

I am afraid I wasn't observant enough to know if this had anything to do with being at sea level or not.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Blame it on Trump leaving the Paris thingee

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Get it serviced by a competent person, then you will have peace of mind.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Air meter hole under the burner may just have been a bit dirty, If There is a lot more gas to air ratio and it will burn yellow, if it is blue now it is OK, probably burning butane and the van set up for Propane. Full gas bottle will push more through the regulator than a nearly empty one.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Air meter hole under the burner may just have been a bit dirty, If There is a lot more gas to air ratio and it will burn yellow, if it is blue now it is OK, probably burning butane and the van set up for Propane. Full gas bottle will push more through the regulator than a nearly empty one.

Hmmmm... not sure about this... I have.been using the cooker nearly every day for six years but thanks for your input... ;)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I always have peace of mind... ;)

(PS. I consider myself to be competent (y))

If you were competent on gas combustion then you'd have no need to ask others why the flame was burning yellow. Not getting at you, but carbon monoxide see's off a lot of people each year, it is not called the silent killer for nothing.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Carbon monoxide detectors are a nuisance. I fitted one in an elderly neighbours house a while ago and every time she lit the cooker the alarm went off. She called in the gas board who condemned her cooker as dangerous, so she had to buy a new one.
I got the blame for the expense I caused her.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
If it's burning BLUE you should be happy.

Personally I'd want it to burn RED
:D:D:D:D:D

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just had a couple of days at the beach and I noticed that the flames on my cooker were burning with a fair amount of yellow in them.

Definitely not normal.

Back at my little piece of Paradise in the hills and the flames are now a beautiful blue colour.

At the seaside I was practically at sea level but here at Quinta Majay I am 1,280 feet above sea level.

I wonder if the change in air pressure upsets my gas regulator?

What do you brainy folk think?

Should you be using an open flame in a high risk of fire area.....

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Sit down and have a fag or two, it will help and calm the nerves!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I fitted a Kidde 10 SCO combined smoke and carbon monoxide detector to the van, it's much better than previous smoke detectors I have had. Only gone off once due to major toast burning incident.....I keep a carbon monoxide detector next to the gas boiler in the kitchen, old boilers are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Last edited:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I fitted the fire angel combined smoke and carbon monoxide detector to the van, it's much better than previous smoke detectors I have had. Only gone off once due to major toast burning incident.....I keep a carbon monoxide detector next to the gas boiler in the kitchen, old boilers are a major source of monoxide poisoning.
That sounds good - do you have the model number, please?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
That sounds good - do you have the model number, please?
I told a lie, it is the Kidde 10 SCO, well recommended, it also has a voice which shouts "fire fire" and not easily triggered by cooking fumes, just burning toast :censored:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Not long to go now Mr PaulyP... (y)

Looking forward to the season, will be interesting to see who has got it right with their new signings.
Our teams meet in the states next week for the first Derby played outside of UK.
Whilst typing this swmbo was on the phone applying for away tickets for Swansea, now retired and a man of leisure we can make more away games.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Looking forward to the season, will be interesting to see who has got it right with their new signings.
Our teams meet in the states next week for the first Derby played outside of UK.
Whilst typing this swmbo was on the phone applying for away tickets for Swansea, now retired and a man of leisure we can make more away games.

Ah, so that's why the OP's hob burner flames were yellow by the sea and blue in the hills. All you clever people who thought it was something to do with the combustion process were way wide of the mark!

IMG_0806.JPG

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Carbon monoxide detectors are a nuisance. I fitted one in an elderly neighbours house a while ago and every time she lit the cooker the alarm went off. She called in the gas board who condemned her cooker as dangerous, so she had to buy a new one.
I got the blame for the expense I caused her.
Yes but you may have saved her life. I wouldn't be without them at home or in the mh, what is there to lose except your life.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry a bit late to the party @JJ

I have no specific knowledge on this subject but applying logic to it make me come to 2 conclusions (guess work).
1) something changed the gas/air ratio. Bit scary this one and I won't speculate.
2) Something polluted the gas flow.

On option 2. Have you recently spilled anything on the hob? Or have you recently been over exuberant on the cleaning fluid? I had a pan overflow once and after a clean up the flame burned yellow for a while..

I think in my case, the salty water dried and left some salt in the holes?

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Get your marrygolds on and give the gas ports thingebobs a good clean may have been just a bit of muck that dislodged when on the road Bach up to home.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
No need for any action Folks... cooker burners are burning a beautiful blue... just like the colour of Kyle's new shirt...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back