A Poorly Secured External 12v Socket! How to Correct? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I believe this socket provides 12v to a Whale Superfil Water Pump.

As you can see, It's not fixed to the van very well and over years several additional attempts have created more holes - presently I think there are six and it's still hanging off!!

Any way, I have a new socket and wonder what's the best way to fill the old holes, make it look nice and clean again and maybe even use two of the old holes to secure the new socket. Any suggestions?

20210705_164027.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would move it away from the damage, a bit of fibreglass matting on the back side to fill the void and then body filler and a top coat.
No point trying to fix back there if it's failed 6 times.... Obviously a very thin area of body work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Or perhaps use a special plasterboard fitting that splays in the void and gives a star shaped multi 'anti pull' load spread

Steve

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
You could clean up the area and glue on with ebt glue or 3M 5200.

Then it won't ever come off or leak!

Cheers James

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Cut a nice disc out of some decent white plastic and stick it over the damaged area.Fill the back in with some epoxy resin and then fit the socket back.finsh the edges with a nice bread of white mastic sealant.job done and cheap as chips. (y)

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Remove the screws, stick on socket with white CT1 covering all the old holes, wedge into position with a stick or similar for a couple of hours until CT1 has set. Run a nice neat bead of CT1 around the flange and squirt some into the screw holes then gently refit the screws. Remove all excess from around screws. Job done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Strangely I have CT1 in stock too - I never know which is the best adhesive, there are so many to choose from!

As for laying a nice bead, I've never been successful at that and usually end up getting it all over my hands and clothes :)

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Strangely I have CT1 in stock too - I never know which is the best adhesive, there are so many to choose from!

As for laying a nice bead, I've never been successful at that and usually end up getting it all over my hands and clothes :)
Haha, don't use too much and always use the cleaner/solvent stuff, Multisolve I think is called, it allows you to get a nice smooth finish đź‘Ť

Upvote 0

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!

I know a mastic man (all he does is apply silicone and mastic to new build houses) and he swears by water with a dash of lemon fairy liquid rather than licking your finger. The mix should feel slippery.

He would normally apply mastic then spray with the mixture and remove excess with a piece of shaped wood or for smaller areas his finger.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I know a mastic man (all he does is apply silicone and mastic to new build houses) and he swears by water with a dash of lemon fairy liquid rather than licking your finger. The mix should feel slippery.

He would normally apply mastic then spray with the mixture and remove excess with a piece of shaped wood or for smaller areas his finger.
Exactly that but you can't use water with CT1, the solvent replaces the water.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back