LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Got out nice and early to wash the van before the sun got too warm then when dryed i tried a new/different polish its called G3 by Farecla. Pleased with the result and my arms havnt droped off. Might be worth a try.
Steve

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Got out nice and early to wash the van before the sun got too warm then when dryed i tried a new/different polish its called G3 by Farecla. Pleased with the result and my arms havnt droped off. Might be worth a try.
Steve

I have some G3 in the garage, its a cutting compound rather than a polish, just like T-cut.

Its not the same stuff is it?

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
I use G3 and a 150 mm polishing machine to polish our GRP bodyshell then apply whatever car polish I have to hand usually Mer. Apparently you shouldn't use normal T cut on GRP, no idea why.
Steve

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Same reason you should be careful with G3, its is a cutting compound and removes a "significant" amount of the gelcoat, after just a few applications the gel coat will become porous and you will find it very difficult to keep clean. For the same reason I would avoid regular use of any abrasive polish like Autoglym resin polish unless it is required to restore the finish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Same reason you should be careful with G3, its is a cutting compound and removes a "significant" amount of the gelcoat, after just a few applications the gel coat will become porous and you will find it very difficult to keep clean. For the same reason I would avoid regular use of any abrasive polish like Autoglym resin polish unless it is required to restore the finish.
Very good point. G3 has recently been reformulated and is not as harsh as the old G3. When using any polish always wax afterwards to protect the finish

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Its not polish, its a cutting compound for correcting paint defects. If you use G3, and no wax after, your pride and joy has no protection whatsoever.
If you must use something like this, try G10 its much less harsh.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
All joking aside - has anyone been to a Polish (other nationalities are available!) car wash with a MH ?

I would reckon as long as they keep the high pressure jet away from window and door seals etc it's gotta be worth a try???
They do a fab job on my car(y)

Very tempted to try my local one soon.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Try Farecla Wax Top. A very easy to use Polish/wax combination. The best cleaner/polish I have found to date.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
All joking aside - has anyone been to a Polish (other nationalities are available!) car wash with a MH ?

I would reckon as long as they keep the high pressure jet away from window and door seals etc it's gotta be worth a try???
They do a fab job on my car(y)

Very tempted to try my local one soon.
A couple of my customers thought the same. One had to fork out £800 + after the numpties decided to clean his fridge vents with their power washer. The other had to pay for new decals after having them striped off his motorhome at the east European car wash.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I regularly use a hand car wash. I ask the guy's (Asian) to keep the power washer in a low setting and not to do the roof because of solar panel etc. Great job. I once got them to do the roof of my previous coachbuilt MH but stipulated it had to be brush only - again they made a great job.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I regularly use a hand car wash. I ask the guy's (Asian) to keep the power washer in a low setting and not to do the roof because of solar panel etc. Great job. I once got them to do the roof of my previous coachbuilt MH but stipulated it had to be brush only - again they made a great job.
A low setting on its own can do just as much damage, the important thing is to have a wide fan, low setting and to keep the lance moving all the time

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our local hand car washers will do the MH but they don't have anything to reach the roof.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Not a problem FJMike as my current van is a PVC so not the usual concerns with seems and sealing etc.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
A low setting on its own can do just as much damage, the important thing is to have a wide fan, low setting and to keep the lance moving all the time
Sounds a bit rude to me.......
Cheers, Dave:xrofl:

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
l didn't realise polish was so tricky l have to give CB a good polish had him since 2010 and never done him as he had that protection stuff on didn't seem brilliant but didn't want to take it off polishing, but the guarantee period is now up and at the moment he is filthy.
What about something like Halfords own brand or Simonez
and would Turtle Wax do as the wax afterwards

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Noooooooooooo............

Never take your pride and joy to these people. They use traffic film remover, the type that is used to clean trucks, and the stronger they make it the cleaner your vehicle looks, it's a lot easier than old fashioned elbow grease, next time you go ask them what they are washing it with, probably won't tell you but I bet it ain't turtle wax.

Your MoHo will look cleaner for a while but as it is stripping the top layer of paint along with the dirt you will eventually loose the shine forever, just look around any supermarket car park at older cars, the paint is dull and lifeless

Only use car wash and wax , and frequently to build up a layer of protection, any will do a better job than traffic film remover just requires a little more effort

If you do not want to wash it yourself then pay a professional who will use a less harsh product and will probably last longer and certainly cheaper in the long run, not someone who will spray it with a caustic solution get it clean but ruin your paint finish

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Noooooooooooo............

Never take your pride and joy to these people. They use traffic film remover, the type that is used to clean trucks, and the stronger they make it the cleaner your vehicle looks, it's a lot easier than old fashioned elbow grease, next time you go ask them what they are washing it with, probably won't tell you but I bet it ain't turtle wax.

Your MoHo will look cleaner for a while but as it is stripping the top layer of paint along with the dirt you will eventually loose the shine forever, just look around any supermarket car park at older cars, the paint is dull and lifeless

Only use car wash and wax , and frequently to build up a layer of protection, any will do a better job than traffic film remover just requires a little more effort

If you do not want to wash it yourself then pay a professional who will use a less harsh product and will probably last longer and certainly cheaper in the long run, not someone who will spray it with a caustic solution get it clean but ruin your paint finish

Couldn't have said better myself :xlaugh::xlaugh::xlaugh::xlaugh:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Once a year I wash the M/H, dry, and clean the cabs paintwork with BRASSO!
Yeh! I know shock horror!

I use the Brasso like a liquid polish, apply, no hard scrubbing , APPLY and polish off. then apply a good WAX polish.

I can see you all covering your face, aghast , making signs of a cross, screaming !HERITIC HERITIC!! "

Try it! just do your windscreen pillar! Wash, Polish with your normal polish, then take a rag, dip it on Brasso, and lightly, YES!!! LIGHTLY!! rub the pillar , then look at the DIRT on the rag.

Waste of time polishing in this weather the polish just films Polish polish polish and you still can see the film, Unless of course you have a heated garage.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The reason the brasso cleans the paint more is because it's very aggressive in its cutting ability.

I would suggest, if you only do the van once a year, use a good decontaminate such as iron x then use something like auto glym srp then a good wax such as Collinite
You can top up during the year after a wash with some quick detailer

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The start of my post:

Once a year- - - - and goes on to say- - - no hard scrubbing- - - - then!- - - apply a good WAX polish- - - - and a bit later on says - - - - lightly, YES!! LIGHTLY!!- - -

Think maybe it was all said ? Don't you?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Fair enough

Keep using the brasso you're only cutting through a clear coat or if its one stage paint through the paint its self.

You're MH you're choice :xThumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Speaking to car concourse folk they use baby shampoo, especially the pink one.
I have used a company that cleans my local dealers vans, but the roof light cracked, and they said it wasn't them, just coincidence I assume?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back