A new way of life. (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi everyone. Me and my husband have just sold our house and will be taking a break from the conventional and buying a motorhome! Slight scary and don't know whether I'm brave or stupid for giving up the security of a job and home but really looking forward to it. We have yet to find a motorhome to buy but any advice and support will be gratefully received. We would love to meet likeminded people on our travels and join in the rallies. Hoping to set off in the next 3mths.
Jo and Reece

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Hello and welcome 👍🏻.The price of vehicles has increased due to Covid but irrelevant if you have sold your property as you will definitely have to find something lol . Good luck and enjoy the search for your new home 👍🏻

OP
OP
J
Aug 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that after the summer people will either sell or return their motorhomes so they'll be more on the market especially if foreign holidays are starting again. Fingers crossed we'll get a good deal October time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from a rainy Cirencester! (y)

Any thoughts on what type/make of ‘van you’d like…….layout, etc.?:unsure:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Welcome.

Before you start looking you need to decide what type of vehicle you want. Size, layout, gas and electrical requirements etc. Loads of information on here, just use the Search button. (y)

Then get to see as many vans at dealerships as you can. Took us two years to make our final decision.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hello and congratulations on your decision. If this dreadful period has taught us anything it should be that life is to be enjoyed now and not wait until some undetermined time in the future.
I’m sure you’ll find a motorhome but be sure to give consideration as to what you will need to do in it. By that I mean will you need lots of outside storage for things such as chairs, bikes, tables, wellies etc? If so, look for a van that has a decent size garage.

If you intend to spend time away from sites with electric hookup, look for vans that have a good number of solar panels, at least 2 leisure batteries and ideally, refillable lpg gas bottles.

There is a ton of information on this site and asking will usually bring the answer in minutes from people who really know their stuff. Good luck and keep us posted with your your experiences of your newly chosen lifestyle.

OP
OP
J
Aug 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Welcome from a rainy Cirencester! (y)

Any thoughts on what type/make of ‘van you’d like…….layout, etc.?:unsure:
Hi Andy. Yes we have an idea....fixed bed, garage, decent size washroom, double oven. Been looking at lots so I'm sure we'll find the right one. Great advice on here so will factor in suggestions like solar panels.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I would say take your time in getting the layout right for your type of living, get this wrong and it could get very expensive. We sold up just over a year ago now and we love the change in lifestyle, not regretting it one bit. Good luck with the van.👍

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
We toured FT for 3 years and loved it the only thing i can add is be sure you can survive without Bricks &morter as after 2 lockdowns we were glad to still have our house as a safe haven having experienced x2 lockdowns in europe. Good luck enjoy .

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Three things to think about.

The first is weight. If you don't have a C1 licence (took your test after 1996) you will be limited to a maximum 3500kg motorhome. You will struggle to find one that is light enough to be able to carry the stuff you need when full timing in it. So best bet would be spend some money on training and get a C1. And even then make sure the the model you want has plenty of payload.

Secongly insurance. Very few policies allow full timing. Only a couple of brokers offer it (Comfort are one, not sure of other) and you will take a deep breath when you see the cost.

Thirdly and most importantly, you are only allowed 5 free post on this forum. After that all you can do is read until you become a subscriber. You will find that the subs will be the best £20 you spend on your motorhome every year.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Admire your bravery 👍. We spent 8 months living in ours while looking for our new home and had mo problems af all, however we found a few things that we found invaluable. 1) payload, make sure you have more than enough for everything you will need to carry for full timing. 2) space, it's useful to have "seperate" spacefor doing your own thing, ours had a lounge and separate bedroom which worked well for us. 3) Van size, big enough inside to be comfortable but small enough length to be practical.

Have fun in your new adventure.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class

The first is weight. If you don't have a C1 licence (took your test after 1996) you will be limited to a maximum 3500kg motorhome. You will struggle to find one that is light enough to be able to carry the stuff you need when full timing in it. So best bet would be spend some money on training and get a C1. And even then make sure the the model you want has plenty of payload.

Secongly insurance. Very few policies allow full timing. Only a couple of brokers offer it (Comfort are one, not sure of other) and you will take a deep breath when you see the cost.

Thirdly and most importantly, you are only allowed 5 free post on this forum. After that all you can do is read until you become a subscriber. You will find that the subs will be the best £20 you spend on your motorhome every year.
We paid nearly a grand for a backpackers insurance and you are correct all your insurances should be scrutinised for repatriation etc .

OP
OP
J
Aug 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Thanks, yes will be subscribing today. My husband and I both have "grandfather rights" on our licences as passed our test before 1996. My husband also has Class 2 and recently did his CPC as now drives as his job. We did have a camper and about 5 yrs ago to test out how we would like it, however any advice is welcomed as will be new to life on the road. 😀

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

You could also tow a 750kg trailer on a B license.

Is this the case on the continent.

Cheers James

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Hi everyone. Me and my husband have just sold our house and will be taking a break from the conventional and buying a motorhome! Slight scary and don't know whether I'm brave or stupid for giving up the security of a job and home but really looking forward to it. We have yet to find a motorhome to buy but any advice and support will be gratefully received. We would love to meet likeminded people on our travels and join in the rallies. Hoping to set off in the next 3mths.
Jo and Reece
We are not far behind you to do just that lol, and I have heard this from a fair few, we will be travelling for a undetermined length of time and then settling down at some point, likely in the south of France, life is to short to work until the ever rising retirement age, so good luck with your preparations!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome.
This is a useful read

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Plenty of people here have done what you propose, so you'll get lots of advice, some of it conflicting, because people's experience and expectations often don't quite meet up. Lap it all up and you'll be well prepared for your new adventure,

Best of luck and welcome to the fun (y)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley
Don’t forget to look in the Classified section there are a few for sale including mine.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Seems like a great adventure to me👍👍
Welcome to a really helpful and informative group :welco:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun