A new travel companion (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
2 years back in 2009/10; resuming in 2016.
IMG_0052.JPG

I have just acquired Max, a 16 week old Border Terrier. I've had him for 6 weeks and he's a superstar. We're going to be doing a lot of travelling together come the Spring, but I've never had a dog before and obviously therefore never travelled with a dog in a motorhome. I was wondering if any of you have any top tips about travelling with a dog? Even if it's something that seems obvious to you, it might not have struck me. He sleeps in a crate at the moment and that would seem an obvious thing to continue, both for on the move and for sleeping at night. Beyond that...

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
He's gorgeous and I'm sure he'll love it. We got our two used to the van slowly as they were quite nervous at first. We would sit with cups of tea (for us) and treats (for them) on several occasions before taking them for short trips locally and then building up. They soon got the hang of it although were a bit confused at first by not having the run of the whole campsites ... Within a week or so they would hop out and sit by their tethers in the morning, ready for their breakfast...

Keep to usual routine as far as possible and usual bedding and food and all should be well.

Enjoy.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If he's used to the crate stick with it in the MH. If stop using it at home stop using it in the MH too although that will be harder work if you use it for any length of time.

You need some method of securing him when travelling, especially abroad. You can put him in his crate while travelling but personally I don't like that method as the dog isn't secured - in the event of a crash he will bounce around the crate. A far safer method for the dog is to use a harness and seatbelt clip. Depending on which type you get he can either travel on a seat secured into the seatbelt clip or on the floor with a loop around the seatbelt post.

Other than that treat him the same - if he's not allowed on the furniture or on the bed at home he isn't in the MH either, stick to the same mealtimes.

My two love the MH, they've got it associated with more walks and swimming than normal.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Seem to be becoming a very popular breed. Friends have one, she is lovely but was a bit fond of chewing ears, nearly lost an earring, Older now so has been trained not to. Saw quite a few while on tour last year.
Not a dog owner now, only advice I would give is to keep Max under control. Not everyone likes dogs, some people, for whatever reason, are scared of them, it is not fun, either, seeing a strange untethered dog climbing into your van and cocking it's leg.
Apart from that, he is beautiful and i'm sure he will settle to travelling. Enjoy him.
Lots of dog owners will be here soon with practical advice.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
My Jack Russell sits on the floor in front of the empty passenger seat when travelling, sulking. She hates it!!
She gets all excited when we go home, ungrateful bugger!
However, she loves all the extra walks when we're away and all the extra attention from fellow funsters and is well used to sleeping in the motorhome.
Don't feed Max before a journey or you may have some cleaning up to do. Try him in a car first, then short journeys in the MH.
You'll just learn by experience. Every dog is different and what's right for some, yours will dislike!
Joy's right... he's lovely and cute!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Looks nice a nice pup, reminds me of ours some years back although he's 15yrs old now and still active.

Only tip I'd say is never forget the Border Terrier saying "Borders are bolters" and I can confess to having collected ours from all over the place, his record was about 7km away....

For that reason when we got the van we really made sure he's well marked so to speak i.e. he is chipped, is tattooed and has my mobile number and home address on a large brass tag on his collar and we change it often to keep it easy to read, also change the split ring as they some times go.

Super compact little no fuss dogs that i perfect for camping, just keep an eye out for rabbits, foxes etc etc

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Max is a little star. Love those feisty borders but we have had German Shepherd Dogs (Alsatians, there's no difference, just the breed name has changed over the years ) for so long now we would miss the breed. If he likes the crate leave him in it but secure it. If you don't have him in a crate please don't let him travel unless he is attached and clipped in to a harness and away from the driving compartment. Its really, really dangerous to have a dog loose in the home and they can distract drivers no matter how sweet they are. In the event of a crash or sudden stop, they will die or be seriously injured going through the windscreen, like a missile. No, you cannot 'catch' them. Sorry to put a downer out there but I've seen people travelling with them on their laps, madness.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Our cairn loves the van, BUT, what we didn't realise was that most dogs have a concern when something is going on behind them, especially when it is new noises. Our dog who always traveled well in the car was initially terrified in .the van. The vibrations that come from the rear of the van become natural from us, but it sounds quite disturbing for a dog. Simple answer was to put her in a basket between the seats and put a blanket over the top (across the seats). Now loves it.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hey!!! @ShiftZZ Someone's stole your dog matey, I don't know ! honestly!! turn yer back for 5 minutes and- - - - -

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have just acquired Max, a 16 week old Border Terrier

main tip is to let all the female funsters go goo goo over him .. he is gorgeous

It is not just the female funsters some of the males go all soft when confronted with such a little corker.

Awwe Ime in love with Max hes gorgeous

Blossom in some lights I look just like a Border Terrorist and I like my tummy tickled too.

Max is a little star. Love those feisty borders

He is a little belter

Wow Max is a little stunner.

John.

You bunch of soft beggars, @Armytwowheels has a Border, but their luvely li'l bitch takes no $4it from anyone, top dog and don't @Ralph-n-Bev have a Border too Buster I think, little corker anyhow.

Hope to see you out there Max (bring @Squeezy if you have too) Griff

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you are stopping on the motorway at services or something put him on the lead before you open the hab or cab door.

You don't want him running out and legging it.

A few years ago I saw a French guy running in tears from a motorway aire and up the hard shoulder after his dog who had run off.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Max is gorgeous. We use harnesses with our two. It works well. Our Max doesn't like the car much, but loves the Motorhome. They especially like helping to load it prior to going away. :D

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
IMG_2167.JPG
Our boy is not a keen traveller. However he much prefers the MOHO to the car. He doesnt move for the entire journey and lies quietly on the floor between our seats

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back