TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just sitting having my breakfast, looking out the window watching everybody empty their cassettes (really must try to position the van better, but hey ho!) and it got me thinking. Do you wear gloves when emptying your cassette? From my observations there are three camps - a special pair kept in the cassette locker; disposable; nothing.

Personally I don't use gloves, just take care then when I'm finished a quick rinse under the tap, replace and charge the cassette then a proper hand wash. I also have a small bottle of hand-cleanser gel if for any reason I can't wash properly.

But my thoughts on other methods. Disposables - okay, hygienic enough and if you don't want to buy a box you can always take an extra pair when refuelling "in case there aren't any at the next garage". But you'll still need to wash up afterwards.

However the special pair brigade worry me a bit. First off, they're never cleaned after use, just stuffed back in the locker, covered in microbes which then multiply in the damp warmth until they're a positive health hazard. Which is of course transferred to your hands when you use them next time. Yeuch! So why bother?

What do you think?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Oops I thought you’d got a new toilet! :whistle:

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oops I thought you’d got a new toilet! :whistle:

Ian
Me too,thought perhaps there was a new super duper loo on the market that included a wash and wipe! Or do the new Hymer already have such things?:D:LOL:;);)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I use gloves, not that the cassette is a problem, but I don't particularly want to handle the flushing hose which has often been hanging in the dump or shoved in other peoples cassettes!
I regularly rinse the gloves and spray them with disinfectant after use ... sorry if that offends anyone watching.:whistle:

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Me too,thought perhaps there was a new super duper loo on the market that included a wash and wipe! Or do the new Hymer already have such things?:D:LOL:;);)

Actually, have you not seen the new cassette cleaning machines made by Thetford (I think)? For €1 they empty, flush and recharge your cassette with chemical - comes out really clean and shiny. Yes, seriously!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Actually, have you not seen the new cassette cleaning machines made by Thetford (I think)? For €1 they empty, flush and recharge your cassette with chemical - comes out really clean and shiny. Yes, seriously!
I'd heard about the machines but I don't want any chemicals in the cassette so would object to paying.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I nly wear gloves if I have a cut on my hands. Alcohol rub/gel not effective on the most virulent D&V bugs, like EColi, good old soap and warm/hot water is best. Why do so few emptying points have hand washing and drying facilities?
Well done Teversal.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Never use gloves, wash hands afterwards though or jel. Makes me wonder what some peaple are eating and then pooping when you see some peaple going off with there loo. It’s as if the cassette has nucular poop in, all gloved up etc. :eek:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I am bare handed boy me ... a peck o muck never hurt anyone ... I know there will be scores coming along with tales of terror of microbes and goodness only knows what. Well, at 62 I've had my hands up to the elbows in "stuff" many times and as yet .... nothing is rotting away ... except for a few brain cells and I recon many of them are due to Tetleys bitter. Everything these days is disinfected to the Nth degree and the youth have no natural protection against the bugs unlike us 'ard as nails" northerners ... just a scratch ...

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Never bothered me, being a plumber of the old school I`ve had my hands in worse, anyway if it`s your own no problem. I just don`t understand squeamish people, it all washes off :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I try and wait till it's either dark or deserted to empty mine .. .....

Nearly died of embarrassment when one kind gentleman ran out of his mh to empty it for me ... I wouldn't let go of it and we ended up doing a pull push dance till he won the snatch!

I know he meant well but I didn't want him seeing the meals I had the previous two days. ...:oops:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nothing and wash hands for me.

Can someone tell why the French nearly always use gloves then rinse the cassette out under the drinking water tap. On our last trip I scared the living daylights out of a French guy when I hollered at him for rinsing under the fresh tap.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Nothing and wash hands for me.

Can someone tell why the French nearly always use gloves then rinse the cassette out under the drinking water tap. On our last trip I scared the living daylights out of a French guy when I hollered at him for rinsing under the fresh tap.

Ugh ... I have told English people off for that ... they look at me as though I've lost the plot. Grrrrr

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just bare hands and a good wash after.

I try not to get my hands involved with the contents so find the job less dirty than other work I have to do.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don’t bother with gloves of any sort but keep a bag of wet wipes in with the cassette for hand cleaning.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I`m in the bare hands Camp, But one poster made a very valid point, in that IF you have any sort of open wound, you should take extra care, and may be one of the few occasions to use disposable gloves. Which incidently I believe is mandatory if you are in catering?.

Health Warning!!!!!

Now I hope you have all eaten, As a young 3rd Engineer, we had a failure on the seaway system,(n) without which we would have been shut down completely in the St Lawrence.(n) So my "job" was to enter said tank and squat up to the neck in the detritus from 30+ ship mates to remove a plastic bag which was the source of the blockage,:sick: There was a lot of "Showering" involved in the aftermath and I was convinced I could still smell it for days.:cry: Not helped by many of my so called "friends" who would hold their noses every time I approached. The reward for my efforts was 2 free cases of Tennents Lager! courtesy of the Old Man.:D(y)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
images
Here we go another listing

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We try not to use disposable gloves - we dispose of enough waste plastic already!! We do use a pair of (reserved) gardening gloves to empty the cassette, and they get washed out at the end of a trip, although they are not really badly soiled - just the occasional splash, plus handling the cassette, and hoses/taps at the waste station!

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
We try not to use disposable gloves - we dispose of enough waste plastic already!! We do use a pair of (reserved) gardening gloves to empty the cassette, and they get washed out at the end of a trip, although they are not really badly soiled - just the occasional splash, plus handling the cassette, and hoses/taps at the waste station!

Why use the gardening gloves to empty? Why not carry the cassette to the disposal point it’s quicker ? :ROFLMAO:

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)

Why use the gardening gloves to empty? Why not carry the cassette to the disposal point it’s quicker ? :ROFLMAO:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I use gloves, not that the cassette is a problem, but I don't particularly want to handle the flushing hose which has often been hanging in the dump or shoved in other peoples cassettes!
I regularly rinse the gloves and spray them with disinfectant after use ... sorry if that offends anyone watching.:whistle:

Same here - my gloves are always washed after use to the same standard that I would wash bare hands.

I often have tears and small wounds on my hands so just easier to use gloves.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back