A new motorhome, what a nightmare, beware. (1 Viewer)

Cridon

Free Member
Apr 22, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute736
Exp
Since March 2015
Hello y’all, bought a new Autotrail 736Tribute on a Fiat Ducato chassis recently and picked it up on 2nd April. After one trip out and returning from Spinneys, the dealer in Cheshire after a few minor tweaks, it broke down 3 times in as many miles with the engine management light coming on. Being new it is covered by the Fiat assist programme who duly called out the RAC who diagnosed an EGR fault which is part of the exhaust gas recirculating system to prevent pollution. This meant it had to be recovered but Fiat quickly stated they had no garages available to take it so it would be stored at the recovery agent. It then took a week before it was accepted at a dealership in Hyde, Cheshire called Stoneacre Hyde. I am writing this now with the knowledge that in 5 days the garage has confirmed what we already knew but due to other work will not get to it until next week at the earliest.
The bottom line is that we have done 274 miles on a new engine, have as of today owned the motorhome for 19 days and it has been in a garage for 11 of them. So beware, if you think the Fiat assistance programme will ensure your dream vehicle stays on the road as much as possible then think again! So far, the combined might of Spinneys, Autotrail and ourselves has failed to elicit any response from Fiat other than “we have booked customers to deal with and they take priority!” Considering whether this is false advertising and what action to take as had we been aware of this, we would not have bought any motorhome on a fiat chassis. Any similar experiences or contact details of high ups in Fiat would be most welcome.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Ah, the wonder of buying brand new, rather then letting the first owner take all the pain of the vehicle recalls, the mistakes, the build non-quality, the failing systems, the leaks, the breakages; the astronomical main dealer crap-service bills; the we-don'tcare-once-we've-got-your-money Dealers; whilst also paying top-dollar to add lots of extras.... which vehicles people like me can then buy secondhand 5 or 10 years down the line once run-in, fully spec'd, repaired and with build faults sorted.

I'm really sorry to hear about your horror story; but it just seems to happen so often.

I really hope you get it all fixed, but it's one of the big reasons why I'll never ever buy a brand new motorhome.

Gareth62

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
A friend of mine bought a Bailey on a Peugeot chassis and had a whole list of problems including no side lights or marker lights down one side as a fuse kept blowing, turned out a screw had been put though a wire.... but the dealer did every thing he could to wiggle out of fixing it

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Not just Fiat! My Peugeot base is in limp mode and after various fixes is now awaiting an auto electrician to diagnose the "final" fault on Monday, we'll see. But then they are all built at the Sevel factory and broadly the same I believe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Not apologising for Fiat, but if you have been following several threads on this forum this is a busy time for any Fiat garage with a major EGR recall. Some people are waiting up to 3 months to get the problem sorted. In some way I can understand them saying they are busy. Busy fixing Funsters Fiats.

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
There is as is well recorded on here a recall on certain Ducato vans. The recall is to replace a weak pipe in the EGR system. A call to fiat in Italy (free) should identify if your van is included in the recall.
I would hope that the dealer had arranged the recall before delivering the van to you!!!

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Cridon, do you know of Platts Garage in Longton Stoke-on-Trent.

They are not far from you and have excellent large vehicle capability. As a main Fiat agent they can fix your EGR problem.

I took my grey import McLouis in there for a warranty fix and they didn't bat an eyelid when it was an obvious LHD Italian van.

HTH

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I really feel for you. I'd be incandescent with frustration, and so disappointed.
New vehicles simply shouldn't fail like that. I really disliked changing my company cars at 3 years, just when they had been sorted and running beautifully for 2 years.
I'd certainly be thinking about rejecting it...............but then what? Losing the whole summer waiting for another new one (and suffer déjà vu all over again, Rodney)?
I've always bought my personal vehicles at 2 or 3 years old.
(My 64 yr old motorbike doesn't give me any trouble. If it did I could fix it with a coat hanger, gaffer tape, cable ties, or a fisherman's sock). ;)

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The dealers make you wait because they don't make much out of warranty work, so its usually back of the queue. If it was my van Id get the recovery firm to take it back to the dealer where it was bought.

Then Id call TV news, Radio, papers, forums and anyone else and embarrass the buggers into getting it fixed PDQ. It seems motorhome dealers just shrug their shoulders after they have relieved you of your hard earned cash and after sales assistance seems to be pants with a lot of them.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear about your Fiat woes.

Andrew Parker
is the Conversions Manager, for Fiat UK. ie he has corporate responsibility for Fiats that have been converted to motorhomes (not sure if he has responsibility for other types of Fiat conversions?).

You could try contacting him through Fiat's UK HQ to get matters resolved.

Mike

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We had a similar problem last year. First trip in new MH and it was ‘duff’. Fiat eventually took it to a garage 60 miles away in France..... long story, eventually we limped it back to UK. Fiat dealer in UK was a waste of time. We eventually rejected it and are waiting for a new MH in July. Unfortunately we have had to accept a replacement as we missed the timing to get our money back. If the new one has any recalls on it, it will not be accepted, and any serious faults will incur a solicitors letter and another rejection. We have lost 18 months motorhoming and are disgusted in general the way that MH manufacturers will not accept responsibility for chassis manufacturers faults. They should be chasing Fiat to get the problems mended or they should replace the vehicles.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
We bought our current Autotrail from Spinney
and I have found them to be completely USELESS. The warranty work they carried out failed after 8 months and they refused to do it again claiming they don't guarantee the work. I contacted one of the directors who said he would look in to it .A few days later
I got a phone call from the service advisor I had been trying to reason with saying they would repair it as a goodwill gesture. They
were having a laugh as they only carried out a partial repair when it went in. So I won't be buying another motorhome from them
The service advisor was totally arogant and as much use as a chocolate teapot .
So don't rely on Spinney being much help.

Ray

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
As it would appear to be a 2018 it is very unlikely to be a pipe bracket as you will have had the later pipe .
My 10 year old 3litre Dailey continuous EDC
Llighg problems. The main Iveco Dealer cheerfully tells me it could be one of 2thousand faults!!!
All late build vehicles suffer from electrical problems , too much technology involved ..
My Fiat Proffessional Burgess in Suttingbourne have been good, but the technician tells me that they have replaced several Euro 6 engines to date.
Good luck with your problem. You could always sue for what is called loss of amenity. Charge at £800.00per week. Pretty average rate to hire a MH . You do not have to show any expense, it’s the loss of your right to use your MH!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Very sorry to hear your story and hope it gets sorted soon.
It seems to me that the first thing one needs to research and know about is Consumer Rights law......especially if you are buying new. What a sad situation though,when you need to know how to “claim” even before you hit the road.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
What a sad situation though,when you need to know how to “claim” even before you hit the road.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Wot, do you mean like a pre-nuptial agreement? ;)

I wonder if Fiat's commercial Ducatos suffer the same aggro. A builder wouldn't put up with losing money whilst his (or her :rolleyes: ) truck was off the road. Perhaps Fiat (and maybe other base vehicle makers) turf out their iffy or 'old model/old specification' units to m/h converters knowing that it could be a year before they are driven by a customer, and then perhaps only for relatively low mileages.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Cridon(OP)

If kicking at doors does no good, I think it might be time for a Solicitor's 'Letter before Action' to be written to the Dealer, who is primarily responsible under the Sale of Goods Act, pointing out the problems and reserving the actions and claims one is entitled to make in the circumstances.

Sometimes the only way to let them know you are not a 'walkover', and moreover that it could cost them money.

Geoff

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Really awful and disappointing but I don’t think one could expect the dealer to drop all other work to prioritise the repair. They are right to look after pre booked customers and those customers who have booked vehicles in would rightly have cause for complaint should they be put back in the que. On the other hand I see no reason why the dealer could not offer overtime to his technicians to expedite matters and expect Fiat to pick up the tab for it.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Really awful and disappointing but I don’t think one could expect the dealer to drop all other work to prioritise the repair. They are right to look after pre booked customers and those customers who have booked vehicles in would rightly have cause for complaint should they be put back in the que. On the other hand I see no reason why the dealer could not offer overtime to his technicians to expedite matters and expect Fiat to pick up the tab for it.

It is not the Dealer who sold it saying this - it is the workshop to whom FIAT warranty referred it.

Regardles of FIAT warranty the selling Dealer has a responsibility to fix a defect - how he does that is his responsibility.

There is a lot of buck-passing going on here, which is why earlier I suggested that a Solicitor's letter to the Selling Dealer might be necessary. That Dealer will have to arrange with FIAT Warranty and whatever workshop to fix the problem.

As well as a Solicitor the local Trading Standards office might help.

Geoff

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
Wot, do you mean like a pre-nuptial agreement? ;)

I wonder if Fiat's commercial Ducatos suffer the same aggro. A builder wouldn't put up with losing money whilst his (or her :rolleyes: ) truck was off the road. Perhaps Fiat (and maybe other base vehicle makers) turf out their iffy or 'old model/old specification' units to m/h converters knowing that it could be a year before they are driven by a customer, and then perhaps only for relatively low mileages.

I think that may be the reason why so many MH owners are suffering long delays in getting the work done. Fiat will be mindful of the massive fleet market and service those first.

I have sympathy with dealers regards the Consumer Rights Act. A vehicle is a collection of parts made by many manufacturers and motorhomes are probably the result of more manufactured parts than cars or vans are. The dealer carries the can for a fault that originates with one or other of the supplying manufacturers. Who is to blame? Autotrail are basically in the same position of the dealers in that they are reliant on other company's parts yet the dealer is actually in the firing line legally. Al-Ko supply the chassis and with it the engine and running gear. Not their fault. Fiat, by now know that they have several major problems and yet are doing little to ensure that vehicles leaving the forecourts are fixed. For my money Fiat are primarily to blame and they should be sub-contracting and doing everything possible to speed up the recalls and work.

However, if the dealers are aware of a recall and they do not mention it and allow the vehicle out on the road after taking all the customer's cash then they are the ones that I would go to for an immediate settlement. If you can prove that your vehicle is on the recall list and was registered and delivered without the work being done then the dealer for me should be responsible for providing an alternative motorhome for you to use whilst yours is off the road and some form of compensation for your trouble, or a total refund and leave the vehicle back with them. A vehicle that doesn't work is not fit for purpose.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I feel for the OP. We have a Peugeot based AutoSleepers and concerned that the supplier sounded like they would try and blame Peugeot where possible.

In reality the biggest issue is we are nearly an hour from the Peugeot dealer and more than an hour from the MoHo supplier. Every fault needs me to take a day off work. We can’t even drop it off the night before.

My naivety but not great customer service and I’d think long and hard about buying another new MoHo.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It is not the Dealer who sold it saying this - it is the workshop to whom FIAT warranty referred it.

Regardles of FIAT warranty the selling Dealer has a responsibility to fix a defect - how he does that is his responsibility.

There is a lot of buck-passing going on here, which is why earlier I suggested that a Solicitor's letter to the Selling Dealer might be necessary. That Dealer will have to arrange with FIAT Warranty and whatever workshop to fix the problem.

As well as a Solicitor the local Trading Standards office might help.

Geoff

Yes quite right I should have said the Fiat dealer/garage should be offering the overtime not the Motorhome dealer. Thank you for pointing that out.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We had an Iveco and the local main dealers Workshop is open 24 hours !
I think most Fiat dealers only play at being proper commercial garages.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We had an Iveco and the local main dealers Workshop is open 24 hours !
I think most Fiat dealers only play at being proper commercial garages.

Amongst my resons for not buying a new MH is that one is almost forced to use the main dealers and in the case of FIAT they are probably servicing/repairing more cars than commercial vehicles, so do not have the same experience.

With a secondhand MH one can go to a workshop of one's choice. I go to one here in Poland that is privately owned and only does vans. Admittedly they do all makes but they seem to have good knowledge of my FIAT Ducato. In 6 years of using them I have not had any problems. They take it in at only 2-3 days notice and it is ready on time. They do not change things unnecessarily - only after inspection and show me why.

Of course, one does not have a warranty but the lower price would pay for a lot of work, but I have not needed anything in 9 years other than routine servicing and timing belt change. The costs are quite low by UK standards.

With Iveco one has the advantage that agents are only dealing with commercial vehicles.

Geoff

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
In law your contract is with the dealer you entered into a contract with regardless of who made the parts I to would use a solicitor to inform them of intended action for lose of use

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's very sad to hear. It sounds as if Spinneys has been as much help as a chocolate watch.

I hope it gets sorted soon.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes quite right I should have said the Fiat dealer/garage should be offering the overtime not the Motorhome dealer. Thank you for pointing that out.

How do you/we know that they aren't.

What we do know in here is there is a shortfall in parts available from FIAT. It's FIAT who are the villains of the piece, producing crap equipment as they have been for 10 years to my knowledge - remember Juddergate - remember the unreadable instrument panel - remember the cheap nasty leaking plastic oil filter housings, the list goes on and on.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A solicitor's letter probably the best course of action. Will you ever be happy with the motorhome or always anxious when driving it? If the latter I suggest you should reject the vehicle.

Your household or vehicle insurance may have a legal helpline :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back