A Motorhome tracker you'd be stupid not to fit. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hey Jim, any development on this? I'll have to have a tracker fitted if I stay with my current insurer so looking at this now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be aware your tracker may have to be accepted/approved by your insurance company, as posted here previously.
Yes I know that but Jim hasn't said what his is yet ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I thought that Jim said pages ago that the system that he had identified and had been testing was really good, but, that the suppliers back up and admin wasn't up to scratch so would reflect badly on him so he wasn't proceeding.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm of the view many members knew this was a failed venture and just waiting for it to be officially killed off. Hopefully, members are now informed. Pity, as it almost sounded to good to be true when first mentioned.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The guy I chose to work with on this has come up with a good system but administration wise he has proved to be pretty unreliable, I'm using the system on my RV and Landrover and it works extremely well. I'm just not happy to recommend it right now because I feel customer care would be lacking and that would reflect badly on me and cause me issues.

I'm of the view many members knew this was a failed venture and just waiting for it to be officially killed off.
Perhaps you missed Jim's post saying that he wasn't proceeding with recommending the product?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm of the view many members knew this was a failed venture

I've not given up on it yet, it's not rocket science. The kit is there you can buy it most anywhere.

Essentially
You need a cheap always on tracker, you can get those from a tenner to whatever.

And you need a deep hidden battery-powered asset tracker that reports just once a day with a life of at least three years, there are loads of these also. Ranging from £70 up

I just needed someone to supply both with worldwide sims and an ongoing package at a good price to Funsters and get them working together, reporting on the same map. I spent some time with one company in Essex who are very clever and put the kit together, but in the end I couldn't recommend them. Hardly a venture. It is way down on my list of priorities right now but I have propositioned a couple of other companies and one is interested in providing us with something, so not quite failed yet :rolleyes:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I've not given up on it yet, it's not rocket science. The kit is there you can buy it most anywhere.

Essentially
You need a cheap always on tracker, you can get those from a tenner to whatever.

And you need a deep hidden battery-powered asset tracker that reports just once a day with a life of at least three years, there are loads of these also. Ranging from £70 up

I just needed someone to supply both with worldwide sims and an ongoing package at a good price to Funsters and get them working together, reporting on the same map. I spent some time with one company in Essex who are very clever and put the kit together, but in the end I couldn't recommend them. Hardly a venture. It is way down on my list of priorities right now but I have propositioned a couple of other companies and one is interested in providing us with something, so not quite failed yet :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend a cheap always on tracker?

Also, a deep hidden battery-powered asset tracker that reports just once a day

Thank you

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My Tracker is due for renewal and I’m just wondering if you are any closer with your kit Jim ?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I was doing a bit of research on Automatrics mtrack. Ticks my boxes and can be installed DIY.
Check them out, they have a Chanel on YouTube, I’m sold.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was doing a bit of research on Automatrics mtrack. Ticks my boxes and can be installed DIY.
Check them out, they have a Chanel on YouTube, I’m sold.
A quick check suggests they cost around £120 but the subscription is £180 per year. VAT may not be included.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
A 3year subscription 408-£11,33 per month.
I doubt good service can be found without a subscription.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
I use a Teltonika FMT100 tracker (CyberSpy GT2) which also has a battery for back up should it be disconnected. I use the platform and system from Global Trackers which costs £4.80 a month, and the SIM covers the UK and EU. It can be Geofenced, and plots on a map that you and others can have access to. The map has useful options like history, miles and speed. I have had it for about 4 years and it works fine for me. I have put a mobile phone picture below ....

Of course it does not count as a tracker for insurance purposes! Just another one to consider ....
Cheers

4.jpg

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I have a VanBitz growler and non starter fitted, but still needed a Thatcham approved tracker for the insurance company, due to value of Moho, but didn't want to be paying £150 every year subscription, so I looked for a company offering a one off payment and went with Global Telemetrics, who do a one off subscription of £399, for as long as you own the vehicle, which of course will only work if you are going to keep it for 3 years plus.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Unlike most tracking systems, the Automatrics devices utilise radio frequency signalling, as well as the more usual GPS/GSM technology that is relatively easily disabled by thieves utilising cheap and easily obtainable signal blockers. The GPS/GSM tracking only activates for a user set number of instances each day, making it less likely that the unit can be found by a thief scanning for active signs of a tracker, and the RF technology can also work when the asset is inside a building or container where GPS/GSM signals can be suppressed and is only activated on reporting a loss, if felt necessary by the recovery agent to assist with locating it. They have a pretty good recovery success rate as far as I'm aware.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Unlike most tracking systems, the Automatrics devices utilise radio frequency signalling, as well as the more usual GPS/GSM technology that is relatively easily disabled by thieves utilising cheap and easily obtainable signal blockers. The GPS/GSM tracking only activates for a user set number of instances each day, making it less likely that the unit can be found by a thief scanning for active signs of a tracker, and the RF technology can also work when the asset is inside a building or container where GPS/GSM signals can be suppressed and is only activated on reporting a loss, if felt necessary by the recovery agent to assist with locating it. They have a pretty good recovery success rate as far as I'm aware.
Our tracker retrieve had that radio band feature 👍

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi Jim

Sad to say I couldn't afford the time to scroll and read all 12 pages of this thread.

However one thing that springs to mind for a tracker to be bullet proof is to consider how it would cope with a GSM signal blocker that can be bought from certain sites. It blocks any mobile signal. so how would the tracker report it's position?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi Jim

Sad to say I couldn't afford the time to scroll and read all 12 pages of this thread.

However one thing that springs to mind for a tracker to be bullet proof is to consider how it would cope with a GSM signal blocker that can be bought from certain sites. It blocks any mobile signal. so how would the tracker report it's position?
Post #353 ;)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Our tracker retrieve had that radio band feature 👍
One difference though is that Tracker rely on the police to locate and recover. Automatrics have their own recovery team and as well as informing the police, can sometimes arrive and locate the asset whilst still waiting for police to find the resources to assist.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
One difference though is that Tracker rely on the police to locate and recover. Automatrics have their own recovery team and as well as informing the police, can sometimes arrive and locate the asset whilst still waiting for police to find the resources to assist.
Pretty amazing they've found the manpower to turn up to 3 people having a coffee when somebody snoops on a neighbour but when your 40k motorhome gets nicked you get a crime number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back