A Motorhome tracker you'd be stupid not to fit. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Having not read the whole thread forgive me if this has been covered.
If the tracker only wakes up when you contact it or once a day for a few seconds to report its position then it is flawed from the start.
I would suggest it needs to alarm the owner if it has moved unexpectedly. Otherwise one could find themselves with a motorhome reporting its location in deepest darkest Romania. Would that not cause more problems than it solves?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Having not read the whole thread forgive me if this has been covered.
If the tracker only wakes up when you contact it or once a day for a few seconds to report its position then it is flawed from the start.
I would suggest it needs to alarm the owner if it has moved unexpectedly. Otherwise one could find themselves with a motorhome reporting its location in deepest darkest Romania. Would that not cause more problems than it solves?

Yes you need to read the thread and see how we come to that. That is one of the reasons for having two trackers.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Yes you need to read the thread and see how we come to that. That is one of the reasons for having two trackers.
After reading a bit of the thread I am still confused. One would have a "sacrificial cheap" tracker and a " motorhome tracker you would be stupid not to fit" tracker.

The "motorhome tracker you would be stupid not to fit" tracker would wholly depend on the " sacrificial cheap" tracker to detect the theft of the motorhome in the first instance? BEFORE being found and sacrificed.........I'm very confused.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
After reading a bit of the thread I am still confused. One would have a "sacrificial cheap" tracker and a " motorhome tracker you would be stupid not to fit" tracker.

The "motorhome tracker you would be stupid not to fit" would wholly depend on the " sacrificial cheap" tracker to detect the theft of the motorhome in the first instance???:crying:I'm very confused.
So am I after reading that:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have a simple tracker wired to the battery and you can check it’s real time location anytime you like. Brilliant, However, in the event of a theft, because it is reporting in every few seconds, there is a good chance it will be found and discarded anyway so maybe not so good.

Have a well hidden tracker with its own power source and have it report in once a day, (any more frequently than that you run the battery down) this one will not be found. sounds great but could mean your pride and joy is 24 hours away before you notice it is stolen. So not so good after all.

By fitting two, you have the best of both worlds, the “always on” one you would use to check on regularly, whenever you want peace of mind. Then if your van is stolen, even if the 12v tracker is found and discarded you can, on the same map, see the well hidden one. you can send messages to it and ask it to report more frequently to track it.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Jim. The van I'm buying (IH 630RD) offers a Thatcham approved Autowatch track and trace tracker.
£310 to install and £150. subs. no doubt the sort of package you are attempting to better.
Money aside do you put the Autowatch technology in the traceable category

Nov 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New to the forum and had not followed the extensive posts on this thread, more reading required but I think I have the gist of it.
The insurance angle may be a determining factor.
Great thread BTW

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Why not hide the first one better? Putting ours behind the fridge vent. Let's face it, If you haven't found the van in the first few hours (parked up somewhere), you're not going to.

You can send the tracker a text telling it how often you want it to report it's position so it's totally up to you.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Let's face it, If you haven't found the van in the first few hours (parked up somewhere), you're not going to.

Thats true, unless you have a power independent second tracker telling you where it is.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why not hide the first one better?

That may well be all you need to do. However a £5 detector from eBay has a good chance of finding your tracker and a £25 one will find it. Which for me is why having the second deep sleep tacker installed makes sense. Their detectors are not going to find it so if my van gets stolen my chances of finding my van are much higher.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I fear this debate is undermined by readily purchased multi signal jammers.

No need to find the tracker, just jam it.

You might know these thieves unlike us are doing it for a living and have all the time needed to dig up the technology they require to thieve our stuff.

So it looks like I will get an insurance friendly tracker and get on with my life.

Worrying to see the devious measures that are out there and I am guessing I will switch to physical and visible security.

Check this out. http://www.jammer4uk.com/high-power...-all-bands-adjustable-signal-jammer-p-50.html

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I fear this debate is undermined by readily purchased multi signal jammers.

No need to find the tracker, just jam it.

You might know these thieves unlike us are doing it for a living and have all the time needed to dig up the technology they require to thieve our stuff.

So it looks like I will get an insurance friendly tracker and get on with my life.

Worrying to see the devious measures that are out there and I am guessing I will switch to physical and visible security.

Check this out. http://www.jammer4uk.com/high-power...-all-bands-adjustable-signal-jammer-p-50.html
I reckon you will have to have a very long extention lead, if your going to use that to jamm a motorhome tracker signal. It runs off mains electric:D:D:D

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Insurers happy, oh are you the optimist.

If all they demand is a Thatcham alarm fine. You'll just have to ask them. Which will illicit "this guy can afford a tracker, might as well insist on one".
Surprisingly they don’t need an alarm.
Rang Comfort and because it is under £55,000 they don’t need anything other than the immobiliser that is Peugeot factory fitted.
I’ve just booked into Vanbitz for a Stikeback regardless of that. In fact I still can’t quite believe it.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Just wondering what became of the tracker idea?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
What they fail to tell you if yours gets stolen by a more professional outfit, is they will sweep the van with a detector and find both no matter what you do.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
What they fail to tell you if yours gets stolen by a more professional outfit, is they will sweep the van with a detector and find both no matter what you do.
Not ours :cool: it shuts down a few minutes after the ignition goes off but the location remains on the map :cool:

PS And even when it's on it only transmits briefly every 5 minutes (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The guy I chose to work with on this has come up with a good system but administration wise he has proved to be pretty unreliable, I'm using the system on my RV and Landrover and it works extremely well. I'm just not happy to recommend it right now because I feel customer care would be lacking and that would reflect badly on me and cause me issues.

Development in this area is fluid. Someone showed me an asset tracker the other day that reports once a day for 7 years before a battery needs replacing and it's likely to be sold for less than £50. I'm sure that we'll be able to recommend the best solution soon.

Doozer

Free Member
Feb 24, 2019
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Jim, are there any updates regarding the asset tracker you mentioned in your last post?

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
If they're so easily found, why not also try to fool the thieves by having a second cheap tracker which they can find easily and without damage to the interior, and the real one being a stealth version that pings every hour or two with a micro burst that's difficult to detect.
Then the thieves will think they have the tracker out and be caught in the act. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back